PDA

View Full Version : Cover of Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight"

stingx
December 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Time to fire up the wayback machine to 2004 when I recorded this cover. I had to check a really old posting to verify the facts of the recording because it's been some time. I used my old Schecter Diamond Series PT guitar for the recording. I remember debating which guitar sounded better and somehow ended up using the PT. I had just updated my PodXT to the latest version that had come out at the time and tweaked a new patch for the tone. I remember I really liked the combination of the PT's neck humbucker (coil split) with this patch. Anyway, I have no idea where the backing track came from (or where it has since gone to) but I remember heavily modifying it in FL Studio to get the drums to sound to my liking. I believe I used Cubase at the time to record this with. I don't remember if any plugins were used on the guitar tracks but I recall using a VST plugin called Endorphin on the vocals with a bit 'o compression.

Just click on the image below...

http://www.geocities.com/beat1ebum/layla.jpg (http://www.box.net/shared/mc1o539c0g)

oldguy
January 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Sting,
Sorry I missed this before. Really nice job!:D
I can't keep up....... old age.
You sounded great on the vocals too........... that was you, wasn't it???:bravo: :bravo:

mrmudcat
January 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Nice nice!!:bravo:

sunvalleylaw
January 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
:AOK: :AOK: I also missed this before. That is a very sweet tone and touch you are displaying on that piece.

stingx
January 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, I am singing on the track as well as playing. I'm not particularly fond of my voice which is why I tend to do more instrumentals unless I can get a friend to do the vocals for me. Glad you liked this one.

Kazz
January 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
StingX.....had I not read this....I would have thought it was clapton singing.....very nice cover bro...I am impressed.....

Kazz
January 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
ohhhh I just love the Yellow Ledbetter that kicked in after.

ted s
January 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Very nice Stingx !, vocals to boot ! you have a nice voice, nothing wrong with that at all.

stingx
January 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
You guys are way too kind. I'd love to free up more time to do another tune but the little one demands too much attention at the moment.

M29
January 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Very nice indeed stingx:AOK: Your voice fits very well phrasing and all.

M29

oldguy
January 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
You guys are way too kind. I'd love to free up more time to do another tune but the little one demands too much attention at the moment.

Heck, you don't have to do a brand new one, Sting.... just dig around in those archives of yours and post another one.......when you have time, of course.:D

FrankAxtell
January 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
killer job... you nailed it... right on....:beer: