PDA

View Full Version : Pickups rising out of place

pes_laul
December 31st, 2007, 01:37 PM
On the left side of my middle pickup on my Ibanez it will gradually rise. I will screw it back down but over a day or two it will rise right up next to the string and it will buzz against the string. I don't know what is causing this but If anyones had this happen how do you keep it down?

Feedback appreciated

Thanks,
Kris-the-young-dude

WackyT
December 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM
You might want to try some loctite on the screw threads.

Spudman
December 31st, 2007, 04:46 PM
DON'T USE LOCTITE!
That pickup is screwed to the wood. Loctite would only mess things up.

There should be either springs or foam pads under that pickup. You'll have to unscrew both screws - loosen all your strings and lift the pickup out to find out. While you have it out insert a screw back into the hole that is your problem - screw it in several turns - now try to pull it out with your fingers. If it is loose and moves or wobbles chances are that the hole has become enlarged.

Here is how to fix it: Find a clean wooden tooth pick -break it where it just gets to the fattest part of the shaft. Tap that broken end down firmly on the table top to make sure that it is blunt and square on that broken end. Next insert the toothpick into the hole and mark where it comes to the top of the hole. This will be your next break line. Blunt this end too.

Now take a little bit of white glue and fill the hole - push in the toothpick and wipe off the overflow.

Now the most important part: Let the guitar sit for 24 hours so that the glue dries. It must be hard before you try reattaching the pickup. Now after it has dried put the pickup back in and you should be good to go.

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Kris,

Spud's fix is good and it will work, but isn't this your new guitar? If so, why not let them replace it (assuming it's not covered in glue and has toothpicks sticking out of it).

pes_laul
December 31st, 2007, 05:26 PM
Kris,

Spud's fix is good and it will work, but isn't this your new guitar? If so, why not let them replace it (assuming it's not covered in glue and has toothpicks sticking out of it).
What would I have to do to have them replace it

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 05:34 PM
What would I have to do to have them replace it

Is it a local store or a website (M123, zZound...)?

If local, take it in and show them the issue you have with it. If it's a website, personally I would go with Spud's fix if you are up to it (it's easy). To be honest, the fix that Spud recommends will make that area stronger and more secure than the other screw holes.

warren0728
December 31st, 2007, 05:43 PM
two words....duct tape :rotflmao:

seriously....take it to where you bought it and see if they will replace ....but spuds "fix" should work just fine....

ww

Bloozcat
January 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Wood screws are always a weak point in guitar building. If they're in a place where they only have to self tap once and only get removed/re-attached a time or two, they're ok. But if they're in a spot where they get screwed in and out often, the wood they're screwed into is soft, or if the first time they were installed they stripped, they're a real pain.

There's another permanent solution that's repeatable without fear of stripping. It'll take a little extra work, but not so much as to make doing it too much trouble. Thread these little dudes into the wood, and replace the wood screws with a suitable size machine screw, and the problem is solved.
http://rtlfasteners.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/112550-116619.gif
In various sizes they can be used for bolt on neck mounting, fixed bridge mounting, pickguard holes, and yes, even pickup mounting directly into the body wood. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a suitable size from a local Ace Hardware, or you can always order them from a place like McMaster Carr.

just strum
January 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Hey Kris,

Any progress on getting the guitar fixed?

mrmudcat
January 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Wood screws are always a weak point in guitar building. If they're in a place where they only have to self tap once and only get removed/re-attached a time or two, they're ok. But if they're in a spot where they get screwed in and out often, the wood they're screwed into is soft, or if the first time they were installed they stripped, they're a real pain.

There's another permanent solution that's repeatable without fear of stripping. It'll take a little extra work, but not so much as to make doing it too much trouble. Thread these little dudes into the wood, and replace the wood screws with a suitable size machine screw, and the problem is solved.
In various sizes they can be used for bolt on neck mounting, fixed bridge mounting, pickguard holes, and yes, even pickup mounting directly into the body wood. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a suitable size from a local Ace Hardware, or you can always order them from a place like McMaster Carr.

I was surprised to see these used on my carvins cavity covers!!! A small detail that got my attention:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM

Great info Blooz, thanks!

LowEndWonder
January 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
DON'T USE LOCTITE!
That pickup is screwed to the wood. Loctite would only mess things up.

There should be either springs or foam pads under that pickup. You'll have to unscrew both screws - loosen all your strings and lift the pickup out to find out. While you have it out insert a screw back into the hole that is your problem - screw it in several turns - now try to pull it out with your fingers. If it is loose and moves or wobbles chances are that the hole has become enlarged.

Here is how to fix it: Find a clean wooden tooth pick -break it where it just gets to the fattest part of the shaft. Tap that broken end down firmly on the table top to make sure that it is blunt and square on that broken end. Next insert the toothpick into the hole and mark where it comes to the top of the hole. This will be your next break line. Blunt this end too.

Now take a little bit of white glue and fill the hole - push in the toothpick and wipe off the overflow.

Now the most important part: Let the guitar sit for 24 hours so that the glue dries. It must be hard before you try reattaching the pickup. Now after it has dried put the pickup back in and you should be good to go.
+1. You could also use a wooden match stick. White Elmers glue or their Carpenters glue is Union! Like Spud said wait a day, then re-attach pickup.
A lot of folks use this method for putting on straplocks or securing stock ones that aren't grabbing due to factory over drilling. Iv'e even done it with bridge screws, it works! The only difference is you put the screw right back in with the fresh glue so it sets permanantly. You don't want that with the pickup screw. If the toothpick/matchstick and glue thing don't work, your gonna have to fill the hole with Plastic Wood, then re-screw.

pes_laul
January 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Kris,

Any progress on getting the guitar fixed?sorta me and my dad are gonna take it up to the music shop to get it fixed

just strum
January 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
sorta me and my dad are gonna take it up to the music shop to get it fixed

did he tell you not to listen to us?

pes_laul
January 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
nah I didnt even mention it to him I just told him we need to go get it checked out Cuz Im not completely sure whats causing it or (or whats under the pickup) But techinacly aint I actually listening to you? cuz if Im right your the one who told me to take it to the shop.

just strum
January 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
nah I didnt even mention it to him I just told him we need to go get it checked out Cuz Im not completely sure whats causing it or (or whats under the pickup) But techinacly aint I actually listening to you? cuz if Im right your the one who told me to take it to the shop.

Kris-The-Young-Dude,

I think a couple suggested it. Anyway, keep us posted on the outcome.