PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the feedback in AD series amps?

Matt
March 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM
After a few jamming sessions with my AD50VT, I've come to realise a somewhat annoying and almost irksome problem- unwanted feedback on the high gain channels. Now I know its normal etc, but usually feedback builds up right? Well in my case, when i have the amp set to 50W and master on full, I get screeching feedback as soon as I switch channel. I can reduce it a bit by rolling down the master a bit, but then the drop in volume is equally annoying. I'm going to try fiddling with the noise reduction and see if it helps, but it tends to muffle the sound a bit.

Now it could just be my '51 and VS6s cheap circuitry, but I dont know how to improve this without buying expensive parts and getting someone to install them ( I dont trust myself with a guitar and a soldering iron).

So any suggestions as to what to do?

regards

Matt

Tim
March 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Matt – I have read a few articles, which indicate standing too close to the amp will allow this to happen. Distance is key on higher gain amp modelers. Another probable cause could be the angel of the guitar and amp. Try placing the amp further a way from you. If your amp is located behind you, may sure it’s directly behind you and your body acts like as a shield.

SuperSwede
March 19th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Is it squealing like a pig?
Some pickups, especially telecaster pickups can start to squeal at high volumes. These squeals can be rid if you wax pot them. Its not very expensive..

Matt
March 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Squealing like a pig? Yes :P I might try wax potting them. Ive also turned the noise reduction all the way up, but I cant crank it until next week to see if it has worked because its sitting in my room right now and the neighbours are in....

lol, Regards

Matt

marnold
March 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM
My guess would be that the '51 isn't shielded at all, so a cranked amph and an unshielded single coil will be a recipe for squealing.

ray82609
March 20th, 2006, 05:07 PM
If it sounds like it's guitar feedback, it's guitar feedback. If it sounds like microphone feedback it's microphonics. It usually only happens at high volume levels combined with a lot of distortion. Waxing the pickups can help and there are a number of places on the net to find out how to do it. Once done, never, never, never leave your guitar in a hot car.
-Ray

Slowhand
March 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM
At high volumes you could try dropping the gain down some you don't need as much as at home and you will get more definition. Too much noise reduction just kills your tone, also try the master at around the 3 o'clock mark just turning everything up full doesn't necessary make things louder but it will mush up the tone on any amp, and these amp sound poetically good with this setting but it may just be too much gain