PDA

View Full Version : new years eve...whatcha doing?

warren0728
December 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM
i am lucky to have my kids with me for new years eve (they knew their mom wouldn't be able to stay up past midnight!) so we are having a family night at dad's house!....

they want breakfast for dinner so we are having pancakes (cooked fully clothed BTW) :pancake: with eggs and fresh fruit....gonna play some scrabble and dominoes....watch a movie or new years tv stuff....and stay up till after midnight....

what are your plans....i will be checking thefret on occasion....hey i have a laptop in the living room!

ww :greenguitar:

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Getting close to making dinner and then it's R and R - just another day more or less. Daughter is staying at a friends house and my son is undecided.

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2007, 06:00 PM
We're heading over to a friend's house here in a little bit with a guitar in tow. I'm hoping they'll get drunk enough that I actually sound good, or at least passable. Y'all be careful out there and watch out for all the amateur drunks (it ain't the professionals I'm worried about).:beer:

Robert
December 31st, 2007, 06:06 PM
I am staying home with the wife and 2 kids - I'm about to start making a chicken dinner (just came back from a 10k run in minus 15 Celsius - 59 degrees Fahrenheit). Gonna watch a movie, have a Martini and just relax. I'll check in here once in a while tonite.

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Going over house of the mother of my son's fiance for drinks & appetizers.

(I was going to say going over to my sons fiances house, but didn't know how many d@mn apostrophes that would require & where to put them!)

warren0728
December 31st, 2007, 06:13 PM
(I was going to say going over to my sons fiances house, but didn't know how many d@man apostrophes that would require & where to put them!)
punctuation is overrated... :AOK:

ww

Algonquin
December 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
Quiet night at home with the wife and two kids. Got some adult beverages chilling, and a bottle of bubbly to open at midnight to toast in the new year. (Ginger Ale for the daughter, and the little guy will be long asleep!)

We BBQ'd dinner tonight, and are just cleaning up.

Going to light a fire soon, and kick up our feet in front of the boob tube with a movie, and probably bounce between stations for New Years shows.

Happy New Year everyone.

Childbride
December 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM
guitar...s... plural. i can't watch Shiner or our 'shared daughter' play w/o jumping in as well. :D

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Quiet night at home with the wife and two kids. Got some adult beverages chilling, and a bottle of bubbly to open at midnight to toast in the new year. (Ginger Ale for the daughter, and the little guy will be long asleep!)

We BBQ'd dinner tonight, and are just cleaning up.

Going to light a fire soon, and kick up our feet in front of the boob tube with a movie, and probably bounce between stations for New Years shows.

Happy New Year everyone.

Sounds great - this is the last time we lit a fire at the Strum house

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture190.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture208.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture178.jpg

Note to self: Build fireplace before lighting another fire.

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Yikes on the fire shots! We are pretty much staying at home and playing games with the kids, other than walking over to a friend of my son's home for a little while. I think we will try to find coverage of the ball dropping NY time and call it midnight then!

Spudman
December 31st, 2007, 07:02 PM
I have a dinner date with the wife and daughter. Then when we get back home we are going to try to customize our house from the outside the way Strum did by having a fireworks show in the back yard.:messedup:

Justaguyin_nc
December 31st, 2007, 07:03 PM
Justa back from eating out.. planned on a Movie.. misssed ths start time.. Might venture back for a 9:50 showing.. but to be honest..after eating..the couch sure does look good...:)

oldguy
December 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Staying home w/ the wife and 15 yr old daughter, who's having about 5 girls the same age over for kareoke in the basement. My wife's made a huge pot of chili, we've rented movies, and will stay in tonight.
I bought the kareoke machine for my wife for Christmas, the 15 yr old has "borrowed" it for the night.
I can always close the basement door when it gets too painful.....:crazyguy:

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Staying home w/ the wife and 15 yr old daughter, who's having about 5 girls the same age over for kareoke in the basement.

You are a brave man OG. I just dropped my daughter and a few of her friends off at another friends house :D :D :D

Psssttt, as you might already know - they don't sleep.

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hey Spudball! I just read the motto below your avatar :rotflmao:.

oldguy
December 31st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Psssttt, as you might already know - they don't sleep.

Yes they do...... Dimetapp, Nyquil, and grape koolaid;)
just kidding.......:rotflmao:

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 07:52 PM
well it looks like we are going to watch Pirates of the Caribbean starring Keith Richards, I mean Captain Jack Sparrow, I mean Johnny Depp or is it Jimi75?

warren0728
December 31st, 2007, 07:59 PM
well it looks like we are going to watch Pirates of the Caribbean starring Keith Richards, I mean Captain Jack Sparrow, I mean Johnny Depp or is it Jimi75?
i had to watch that twice to figure it all out....

ww

Guitar Gal
December 31st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Just having a quiet night in with the family.

Been playing the gee-tar so much lately that my calluses have calluses :dude:

GG
:rockon:

M29
December 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM
Pretty much the same thing GG. My calluses have been peeling back a little bit but thats Coooolll:rockon:

Might make it to see the ball fall but usually fall asleep.

Might get the .45 pistol (blank gun...in neighborhood...) out and shoot off a couple at midnight on the porch if I stay awake:messedup:

M

warren0728
December 31st, 2007, 11:11 PM
happy new years everybody....the kids both made it till midnight but they were ready for bed as soon as the ball dropped!

i'm gonna sit back and have a little single malt and hope for a better 2008!

ww :greenguitar:

M29
December 31st, 2007, 11:15 PM
I now what ya mean ww. 07 was a crummy year for our family, on to a new one:rockon:

M

Robert
December 31st, 2007, 11:16 PM
Have a good one, guys! Play lotsa guitar and have a single malt or two in 2008!

Remember, practice makes perfect!

:beer:

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 04:13 AM
Note to self: Champagne is bad for you.

Algonquin
January 1st, 2008, 05:59 AM
Note to self: Champagne is bad for you.
Feeling a wee bit queezy:puke: this morning SuperSwede?

Nothing a couple of Advil and a nap won't cure I hope.

Kazz
January 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM
Yes they do...... Dimetapp, Nyquil, and grape koolaid;)
just kidding.......:rotflmao:

Now this is just the funniest thing to me....our little girl has the weirdest reaction to grape koolaid....she gets uber hyper and dances around the house. We called the day care lady to find out what she had given her turned out to be the grape.....tested it one time at the house and concluded that she gets no more......it was almost as if she was drunk.....we laughed pretty hard over that one.

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Feeling a wee bit queezy:puke: this morning SuperSwede?

Nothing a couple of Advil and a nap won't cure I hope.

Ah.... probably something that I ate :rolleyes:

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM
Got to bed just after 3 am last night.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Got to bed just after 3 am last night.

Youch!! I can't do that much anymore. The kids get up at between 6:30 and 7 no matter what I did the night before. :thwap:

The SVL kids contracted flu and are down for the day after each throwing up yesterday or last night. My middle one made it to a New Year's party at his friend's and seemed fine, but it came on suddenly right when we were going to leave at 10p. Poor guy, he colored the snow on the way home. :puke: All are resting fine now and watching Clifford while I check in here. Happy New Year everyone! :)

luvmyshiner
January 1st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Made it home safe and sound about 1:00 a.m. Imagine a house full of about 30 boys ages 17-24, and the only single girl under 30 was our 20 year old daughter. They all behaved like gentlemen, but she was definitely the center of attention and loved every second of it.

Planning on chilling out today, playing guitar, watching a few movies, and throwing some burgers on the grill later on in the day. We have to spend as much time as we can with our baby girl before she heads back to Kansas on Saturday.

Spudman
January 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM
The SVL kids contracted flu and are down for the day after each throwing up yesterday or last night.

Just as we walked into the restaurant last night some kid failed to get fully into the bathroom before that happened. Made a huge mess in and out of the rest room. :puke:

Ro3b
January 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM
I played a dinner-hour gig last night and got home by 8:30. Made hot chocolate and watched Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, which I just got on DVD, then went to bed. Now I'm off to the gym. What a clean virtuous musician's life I'm living.

Happy New Year, everybody, he said in a considerate whisper.

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
It must be the guitar - stayed up a little past 3:00 AM. The only time I see 3:00 AM is if I have to get up to go to the bathroom. I will admit I fell asleep at 11:45 and woke up about 12:15 so missed ushering in the new year.

Watched Pirates of the Caribbean and I'm with you Warren and certainly couldn't figure it out on the first pass. Enjoyable movie, but need to make at least one more pass at it and get my son to watch it with me and serve as an interpretor.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! and for the Texas crowd HAPPY NEW YEAR YA ALL.

warren0728
January 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Watched Pirates of the Caribbean and I'm with you Warren and certainly couldn't figure it out on the first pass. Enjoyable movie, but need to make at least one more pass at it and get my son to watch it with me and serve as an interpretor.
i did the same thing...had a friend explain a couple of key scenes....and it makes the movie a lot more understandable....

wish keef would have had a bigger role but at least he played a little guitar during his scene!

ww

pes_laul
January 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM
me and my buddies are going to my friends house and playing a small outdoor party in like 15 degree weather:eek:

t_ross33
January 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM
While we had many offers for a New Year's gig, we declined and decided to do our own thing - not only is it New Year's, but my B-day was a couple of days ago and our drummers is tomorrow - both turning the BIG 4-0. The boys in the band, our spouses and kids rented a small community hall about 15 min out of town, invited a few friends over, BYOB and potluck. Set up our gear and jammed away, ate, drank and be'd merry. It was pretty cool.
Our drummer's 10yr old son is turning into a pretty good drummer himself and he and a couple friends have started a garage (er, basement) band they call "Heavy Mental" :D They played along to a couple of Green Day songs to a very enthusiastic crowd (you know how Mom's can be).

I think the kids outnumbered the adults. I'm not sure who's idea it was to break out the noisemakers at midnight, but I have a feeling it was Mrs. T :thwap: I'll get her for that.

Got in around 4AM. Now I have to go unload the van. :messedup:

ALL THE BEST IN 08 FRETTERS :beer:

Trev

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Trev,

Now that sounds like a cool way to spend New Years Eve!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

aeolian
January 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
We had our almost-annual New Year's party. We started about 11 years ago when my wife decided to have a New Year's party children can enjoy; this was when our first child was 2 years old. We celebrate 'midnight' at about 9pm so the kids don't have to stay up too late. We've done this party almost every year since then.

This is a picture of some of the kids at last night's party:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/photos/ny08.jpg

PAPPY
January 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Since we didn't have our weekly Thursday night session on account of players being out of town, we decided to play last night for awhile. Had about 25 spectators, mostly older folks like me, and most of the usual old folks band. We quit around 9:30 and I was off to meet my wife and youngest son and his wife at an invitational dance outside of town. Mostly young folks and young folks music but had a good time dancing with the wife till the New Year came in and then on till around 2:30 this morning. Made it to bed around 3:30 and up at 7 a.m.(another old folks thing, not being able to sleep) I am ready to hit the hay for some rest but not before I have my black eyed peas and cornbread, a tradition down here in Texas for good luck, hope Shiner and Childbride didn't forget to have theirs. HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.

luvmyshiner
January 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hey Pappy, unfortunately we did forget the black eyed peas this year, not that they've done much to help me in the past.:thwap: But I know what you mean about that "old folks" thing. Stayed up till 1:00 or 1:30 a.m. and still woke up at 7:00 a.m. this morning. I wish I could sleep till noon like CB and baby girl, but I just can't do it.

Baby girl is flying out on Saturday, but we should have more than enough time to make Pearl. The weather forecast is looking like we might actually be able to claim our spot under the "piss elm".:D I'm keeping my fingers crossed.