PDA

View Full Version : We've lost another...............

mrmudcat
December 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Well another bluesman gone............:cry:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=290469&Gt1=7702&

Robert
December 31st, 2007, 11:17 PM
Never heard of that man. There are so many greats!

Kazz
January 1st, 2008, 07:01 AM
Can't say I have heard of him either, but the thought of dying in a fire is just horrific.

Justaguyin_nc
January 1st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Here is an inspiring excerpt for "US" old starters..

“B.B. King used to hear him singing to himself, and one night, when his opening act didn’t show up, he convinced Willie to sing onstage,” Carty said. “He said he couldn’t because he only knew three songs, and all three of them were B.B.’s. But King persuaded him. Afterward, King told Willie if he just memorized a set of songs, he’d work for the rest of his life.”
Robinson was largely illiterate, so memorizing songs was no simple feat. Yet King’s prediction came true. In good times and bad, Robinson never stopped gigging.
After moving to Boston in 1959, Weepin’ Willie Robinson - nicknamed because of the bags under his eyes - performed most often with bassist Buddy Johnson.
It wasn’t until 1999, at age 73, that he finally released an album, “At Last, On Time,” co-produced by Mighty Sam McClain. It featured vocals by Susan Tedeschi, who counts Robinson as her main early influence.

RIP Willie

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Mudcat,

I'm also one that never heard of him and I tried finding some video and only came across this one. To be honest I'm not sure if this is the same Willie Robinson.

Hr2AQ484gfU