PDA

View Full Version : Which strat for around 600?

birv2
January 1st, 2008, 07:32 AM
Christmas is coming a bit late to my house, but my wife told me yesterday she'd like to get me a guitar, and the budget is $600. She even went to GC with me and listened as I explained strats, teles, custom shop, single coils, humbuckers, maple and rosewood, etc., etc.

I paid $75 for my Squier, and while I've upgraded it, the thought of actually buying a $600 strat is blowing my mind. :master:

So, what would you suggest? Bear in mind that I play almost exclusively blues. Favorite guitarists: the 3 Kings, Guitar Shorty, Walter Trout, Luther Allison... the list goes on, and you can see that I like everything from old-style Chicago blues to modern blues-rock.

I'm sold on a Strat, just don't know which one. And what about the G&L line? I've heard great things about them.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

F_BSurfer
January 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM
I think I would pick the Jimmy Vaughan or the powerhouse strat

birv2
January 1st, 2008, 08:02 AM
I think I would pick the Jimmy Vaughan or the powerhouse strat

Why?

F_BSurfer
January 1st, 2008, 09:29 AM
For me it would be best bang for the buck!!! Local mom and pop place when they have one they have it set up properly and they play just as good as any American.

The JV has the Tex Mex pups have that dirty blues sound I personally think sounds best with low watt tube amps. The V shape neck plays good would take some getting use to for me,and the kicker for me would be oly white with maple neck.

Powerhouse has that nice vintage vibe c shape neck (which I prefer) add the db boost and you have a whole new instrument kinda Gilmore to metal.

The hard part around here is finding one when they get one it doesn't last long

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
As you can tell from my avatar, I am partial to these in that price range. It is a bit cheaper even, and you could use the extra hun or two for something else. I like it because of the sound of the tex mex pups, I like the feel of the maple fret board, I love the interesting color, and it just sounds and feels right. If I did not get that one, I would say the JV, a similar guitar with tex mex pups as well, with the bridge being a bit hotter in some way if you find the specs on line and compare. The neck is a V shape on the JV rather than the modern C on mine also. The Deluxe Player's like Robert has seems a good bet too. I like my tex mex pups, he likes those vintage noiseless. Those are all Fenders. I have checked out a G&L, and they seem nice too, but I like mine better than the one or two I have put my hands on, mostly because of the paint and the maple fretboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FENDER-STRAT-60TH-ANNIVERSARY-STRATOCASTER-W-BAG_W0QQitemZ160193912237QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38082Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FENDER-STRAT-60TH-ANNIVERSARY-STRATOCASTER-W-BAG_W0QQitemZ110186967984QQihZ001QQcategoryZ47069Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638 .m118
I have seen 60th's at the Boise GC, and you might be able to get them to deal if you find one at yours.

This Musician's Friend link has the specs and reviews.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60th-Anniversary-Commemorative-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517894

Here is the JV for comparison. I would click around here and find StingX clips to hear it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jimmie-Vaughan-Signature-TexMex-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510057

Robert's Deluxe Player's is here. It has vintage noiseless pups and a 12 inch radius neck that Robert has switched out for a 60th style neck. Go to Dolphinstreet to listen to his great demos there. Here are the specs on that one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

Bottom line if it was me, I would go for my guitar, save a little, and use the rest on one of those Blackhearts!

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
I would consider Steve's advise except for the very end - save some money, pass on the BH and use it to treat that wife of yours to a really nice gift or night out. She deserves it!!!

Justaguyin_nc
January 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
+1 on the Jimmie Vaughan, I feel it's my second real guitar..
I had an earlier version of the Vintage 60's mexstrat..
it was a very nice guitar too..
but the pickups I didn't get excited about..
and the c neck although nice, fell short to "me" compared to the soft vneck..

checkout e-bay.. get a nice used JV...

it's the only one I mess with anymore it seems..
I love the soft v neck.. love the bridge pickup controlled by tone knob..
love the pickups.. quite content with the vintage tuners..
heck.. Just love the Sound, Looks and Feel overall!

:AOK:

hubberjub
January 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Buy a used G&L. For the money Fender can't touch them. You can easlily get a Legacy or maybe even an S-500 for less than $600. Just make sure it isn't a Tribute model.

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hmmm, maybe I would pass on my own advise

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sMSN7213701/

GAS 2008

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Oops, I should have mentioned Justa's clips with his JV too. He has some good ones around here too! If your GC has a 60th, like the Boise one did last I was there, you can compare it to the JV, and decide for yourself. I bet you could save $150 or so with the 60th versus the JV, and then decide about a little tube amp or a nice night out!

wingsdad
January 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Nice post by SVL outlining Strat options in that price range. :AOK:

Since you're partial to the vintage C neck shape, besides Fender's models that offer it, I'll suggest looking a bit at G&L's Legacy ('traditional Srat') or S-500 (more pup switching combo options). The standard neck config is called a #1, a 12" radius C w/ rolled edges and a 1/5/8" nut. USA-made G&L Legacys turn up on the used market in your price Range. In fact, there's 2 right now , in white/Pearl white, one with rosewood board, one with maple, and they're right there around $599.

The G&L Tribute Series offers the same models, well in your price range with room to spare brand new. They sport the same USA-made G&L pups, Gotoh hardware, with basswood bodies in the Standard Finish, and Swamp Ash in the Premier Finish. But your color choices are limited (no white)

I know a bit about G&L's, owning one (an ASAT, Leo's improved Tele model), having previously owned one of their Tribute Series (Korean imports) and I've played several at my local GAS Station G&L dealer. I'm of the opinion that G&L, as Leo Fender's final business venture and guitar building destination in life, although owned now by BBE, is still, after his death, more true original, vintage Fender than Fender Musical Instrument Corporation.

Here's their website, still in an-old-school Frames design.... Go to 'Insturnments' to see the models, or to go to the Tribute Series...have a look at Leo at work and maybe you'll get the vibe I'm talkin' bout.:
G&L (http://www.glguitars.com/)

BTW, probably means nuthin' since he probably gets them free as an endorser, but Guitar Shorty plays Legacys, not Fenders.

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM
GAS in 08 is going to be tough to fight off. I knew nothing about G&L until reading this thread (again, cave syndrome) and I follow the link to see the first photo of this
http://www.glguitars.com/

Day one and already Gas'ing for....

wingsdad
January 1st, 2008, 12:57 PM
:D I knew you were online, knew you're dreamin of that color config, and wanted to wish you a Happy New Year, Strumster...:beer:

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Here is a really quick, dirty and sloppy clip of my guitar I just made using the Toneport with the '58 Bassman setting, some tubescreamer, gate, EQ, and reverb thrown into the mix. Neck pup. The Guitarport online stuff isn't working but you can tweak your own toneport settings. Not sure I like this one all the way yet but you can get an idea. Please excuse the rusty sloppiness.

http://www.box.net/shared/24ljiluecg

EDIT: This link now dead. See below.

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.box.net/shared/24ljiluecg

What do I need to listen to this? It won't let me download.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
try this one

http://www.box.net/shared/zmuoq9zocg

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Sunvalley-- nice job, man!:AOK: Glad you're posting some clips, kudos!:beer:
You've got that J. Rivers thang goin' on, bro.;)

Bobbirv2,
I think any Strat you find for around 6 bills is going to get you into nice toneland. The JV is exceptional, IMO, the Deluxe Player's, also very nice, and if you want to spend a little time on ThE-Bay, I'm sure you can find a better bargain, or better axe for the $$$.
Wingsdad is right on about the G&L's also. I personally think they're a better quality, nicer feeling, hotter sounding guitar w/ more clarity throughout the lower and mid register. So why'd I end up w/ a MIM Strat? It was cheap. I did a complete setup, fret polish, the works, and I've got a nice Strat. For what blues I play, I'd probably sound like me on most Strats anyway.
This is what mine sounds like, w/ some delay, and some ZYS OD partway through.

XoOLYQeQYAI

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM
try this one

got it - you and I are at about the same point in our progress. One of us has to move closer to the other so we can practice and keep each other moving forward :poke:

Ok, who moves? We'll flip for it - call it in the air.

Nice job Steve. I'm going to have to start recording, if for nothing else, but to gage progress.

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Sunvalley-- nice job, man!:AOK: Glad you're posting some clips, kudos!:beer:
You've got that J. Rivers thang goin' on, bro.;)

Bobbirv2,

Wingsdad is right on about the G&L's also. I personally think they're a better quality, nicer feeling, hotter sounding guitar w/ more clarity throughout the lower and mid register. So why'd I end up w/ a MIM Strat? It was cheap. I did a complete setup, fret polish, the works, and I've got a nice Strat. For what blues I play, I'd probably sound like me on most Strats anyway.
This is what mine sounds like, w/ some delay, and some ZYS OD partway through.

OG, sounds good. What song is that or are you improvising. Your speed selection would fit me perfectly if I knew some songs up in that ole noggin (sp) of mine.

I think you released more videos than Neil Young:D

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM
got it - you and I are at about the same point in our progress. One of us has to move closer to the other so we can practice and keep each other moving forward :poke:

Nice job Steve. I'm going to have to start recording, if for nothing else, but to gage progress.

I went back to Ohio once, but my family was gone. ;) Not goin' there man! You'd have to move out here to the high country! Oh well, we can do the virtual jam thing here at least.

P.S. Thanks guys for the positive comments on my clip. But given that good tone comes from the fingers, and I am still a beginner, I want Birv2 to know that this guitar sounds better than my fingers make it sound here. Also, I am not happy with that patch yet.

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
OG, sounds good. What song is that or are you improvising. Your speed selection would fit me perfectly if I knew some songs up in that ole noggin (sp) of mine.

I think you released more videos than Neil Young:D

Thanks, Strum. I'm improvising to a backing track. There are lots of BT's under the Home Recording thread, in the sub forum, if you want to search some out to play along.
Yeah, I put some videos on Youtube for Greenmachine , and it just kinda got outta hand...:confused:
:D :D :D

duhvoodooman
January 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM
Geez, that Deluxe Player's in sunburst is one NICE looking guitar (though the blue is sexy as heck, too), and right at the $600 price point! :dude:

birv2
January 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
I would consider Steve's advise except for the very end - save some money, pass on the BH and use it to treat that wife of yours to a really nice gift or night out. She deserves it!!!

Amen to that, bro!
:master:

birv2
January 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks to all who chimed in and even shared sound clips. Gotta say that I love the quack in that clip, OG.

The JV model really appeals to me right now, but I haven't played any of these. I'm sure that for 600 I'll be able to afford something that will sound great to me, so I'll just start testing them out at the local GC. Which reminds me -- I'm a bit leery of dropping 600 on ebay for a guitar I've never even played. Should I worry about that?

As for color, right now it's got to be black or sunburst. Ash would be a distant 3rd. The candy-red, daphne-blue, etc. don't work for me. And I've got to say neither does the white (maybe I want something more badass :) )

I really am intrigued with the G&L's. I've heard Guitar Shorty live 3 times, and he gets an absolutely hellacious sound out of his. Of course, he's an absolutely hellacious player! I guess it's going to come down to trying them out. GC doesn't sell them, looks like.

Bob

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks to all who chimed in and even shared sound clips. Gotta say that I love the quack in that clip, OG.

The JV model really appeals to me right now, but I haven't played any of these. I'm sure that for 600 I'll be able to afford something that will sound great to me, so I'll just start testing them out at the local GC. Which reminds me -- I'm a bit leery of dropping 600 on ebay for a guitar I've never even played. Should I worry about that?

Bob

If you don't know who you're dealing with, you should always be leery.
You can e-mail the seller, possibly even talk to them on the phone, and get a pretty good idea of the type person they are. If you want to know what you're getting for sure, shop local and play the guitar before you buy. I've bought guitars on the'bay that needed setup, minor work, and I bought one that was chipped on the body and kept it, because it was cheap, but the chips weren't mentioned in the description, and were carefully avoided in the posted photos. Buyer beware. And if it sounds to good to be true, it is.
That being said, if you see the axe of your dreams from a seller with 500+ sales and 100% positive feedback, you're not likely to get the shaft.
I should add that I always try and shop local, I prefer to buy near home, but it's not always possible. There are two places within an hour of my house, and the selections are limited, but quality. No Gibson dealers, and not much choice in amps anymore. I can drive almost two hours to Musician's Friend's warehouse in Kansas City, but it's a major hassle.....:messedup:

mrmudcat
January 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I like the new roadhouse also with the texas specials!!:beer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Roadhouse-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515525

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM

Come on.

Ohio vs *SUNVALLEY*

ummm, I guess it's a toss up....

Heads Sunvalley, tails not Ohio ;).

Buy a used G&L. For the money Fender can't touch them. You can easlily get a Legacy or maybe even an S-500 for less than $600. Just make sure it isn't a Tribute model. What do you think of the George Fullerton model?

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
I like the new roadhouse also with the texas specials!!:beer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Roadhouse-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515525

Oh yeah, good call. I forgot about that new one. It fits right in there along with mine and the JV.

birv2
January 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you don't know who you're dealing with, you should always be leery.
You can e-mail the seller, possibly even talk to them on the phone, and get a pretty good idea of the type person they are. If you want to know what you're getting for sure, shop local and play the guitar before you buy. I've bought guitars on the'bay that needed setup, minor work, and I bought one that was chipped on the body and kept it, because it was cheap, but the chips weren't mentioned in the description, and were carefully avoided in the posted photos. Buyer beware. And if it sounds to good to be true, it is.
That being said, if you see the axe of your dreams from a seller with 500+ sales and 100% positive feedback, you're not likely to get the shaft.
I should add that I always try and shop local, I prefer to buy near home, but it's not always possible. There are two places within an hour of my house, and the selections are limited, but quality. No Gibson dealers, and not much choice in amps anymore. I can drive almost two hours to Musician's Friend's warehouse in Kansas City, but it's a major hassle.....:messedup:

Good advice. I've had pretty good luck dealing with people on ebay. I guess my main concern is not being able to play the guitar before buying it. As we all know, you can get variations in quality in almost any line of guitar. I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping something back, etc.

btw, good call on the Roadhouse. Has anyone played one of these?

Bob

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Come on.

Ohio vs *SUNVALLEY*

ummm, I guess it's a toss up....

Heads Sunvalley, tails not Ohio ;).

What do you think of the George Fullerton model?

Don't let the name fool ya.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USID0251?from=search_city

Maybe I'll move down by Warren.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Hey, it was sunny, clear and beautiful blue skies all day here! ;-)

BTW, I looked into the G&L thing a little more. I tried out some G&L's at my local Ketchum store and was not duly impressed with the strat I tried. Upon reflection, it was a Tribute. I felt my MIM 60th Ann. Std. was better by a decent margin. The tex mex pups contributed to that feeling, plus, I just liked the feel and look of my axe better. The higher end ones would likely be a different story. The Legacy ASAT they have there seems really nice. Just my humble opinion.

marnold
January 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
I've gazed longingly from afar at one of these too:
https://www.carvin20.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=bolt

mrmudcat
January 2nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Nice call on that carvin brother!!!!.........A in stock bolt or a custom order would do nice!!! They also got some new solid colors going:rockon:

duhvoodooman
January 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
I've gazed longingly from afar at one of these too:
https://www.carvin20.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=bolt
Hey, Marnold--if I'm gonna gaze longingly at a Carvin, it'd be this one. Yeah, I know--it's not remotely Strat-ish, but I DON'T CARE!!!! :D

http://www.carvin.com/isa/images/full/ct6m-bluequilt-64082.jpg

Adrian30
January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Voodo,

a prediction, ok? You are soooo getting a carvin CT this year, I can just feel it.:beer: :rockon:

But, back on the topic...Birv, look around and go to all the GCs in your area, you may be able to bring home a US made strat for that money. I did it once. ;)

marnold
January 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hey, Marnold--if I'm gonna gaze longingly at a Carvin, it'd be this one. Yeah, I know--it's not remotely Strat-ish, but I DON'T CARE!!!! :D
I hear ya. Of course, if I ever were to get a Carvin, it would be a flying V or a V220. Pointies, baby! A white flying V with black bevels. Bird's eye maple neck with a reverse pointy headstock. Excuse me, I have to mop the drool off my keyboard. But I digress.

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Don't let the name fool ya.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USID0251?from=search_city

Maybe I'll move down by Warren. Yeah, but you get to ski!! I used to ski there as a kid. Excellent!

Speaking of Carvins, has anyone played a Fatboy?

gpower
January 3rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I'd definitely look real hard at the JV. I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about them. The soft V isn't at all hard to get used to.

stingx
January 3rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
The JV is all American hardware and electronics. Same hardware as on the CS reissues, in fact. If you like the feel of a soft V neck, then try one out. I bought mine in '05. I read so much hype about the JVs from various forums that I tried one out. After spending almost an hour playing one, I knew there was no way I was leaving the store without it.

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
try this one

It was called to my attention that my signal on the above recording was a little hot and distorted. Here is a recording with better audio quality, through the new SM57 mic I got from my folks for Christmas, recording my C-30 with the 60th MIM Strat into the Boss DS-1, into the Bad Monkey, into the Toneport, into Garageband, without further effects. My fingers still do not get the guitar's potential tone before you, but maybe you can get a better idea than the last clip. :pancake:

http://www.box.net/shared/hbjx3x48oo

Justaguyin_nc
January 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'd definitely look real hard at the JV. I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about them. The soft V isn't at all hard to get used to.

being just a few years into guitars..I didn't know one neck from the other..

still don't know all of them.. anyways..
I got average size hands.
Thought the modern C or even Thin necks would be my preference..
welp, after playing the JV I do not want any other neck type at this point..

to me.. it just sits nice in the palm on the first few frets..
then it more or less loses the "soft" V shape and goes into what I had in the Vintage 60..
something like a C shape..
and its not thinner or thicker than the C imho.. just feels right..

ya just got to try one if you never have..
:beer:

Adrian30
January 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM
It was called to my attention that my signal on the above recording was a little hot and distorted. Here is a recording with better audio quality, through the new SM57 mic I got from my folks for Christmas, recording my C-30 with the 60th MIM Strat into the Boss DS-1, into the Bad Monkey, into the Toneport, into Garageband, without further effects. My fingers still do not get the guitar's potential tone before you, but maybe you can get a better idea than the last clip. :pancake:

Sweeeeet tone SVL!

sunvalleylaw
January 4th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Sweeeeet tone SVL!Thanks AD30! I appreciate the complement!

Robert
January 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Nice tone, Steve. I can feel it - you are a blues player!

sunvalleylaw
January 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Nice tone, Steve. I can feel it - you are a blues player!

:D :D :D Thanks Robert!

just strum
January 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Dude, :AOK: :AOK: :AOK: - I better get practicing that vid OG posted.

Justaguyin_nc
January 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Here is a recording with better audio quality, through the new SM57 mic I got from my folks for Christmas

I got one awhile back.. it sure does make a difference from a vocal mic.. well worth the bucks.. or thank you for the gift remark..:)

:beer:

birv2
January 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Well, I got a Jimmie Vaughan strat. Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

I read everything here and a lot elsewhere and decided that the JV sounded like the best for my style and budget. It came yesterday. I played out at a jam last night, and it is at the tech's tonight getting a proper setup.

It's a 2-tone sunburst with CS Fat 50 pickups, lightly used. I absolutely love the look, the feel, and the SOUND. Looking forward to many great playing experiences.

Woohoo!

Bob

:rockon:

Justaguyin_nc
January 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Congrats birv2!!

My JV is just stock.. but I still believe it's the first REAL guitar I ever owned.. I love it more everyday.. love the soft v neck!

Looking forward to hearing yours with the fat 50's..

marnold
January 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well, I got a Jimmie Vaughan strat. Thanks for everyone's input and advice.
Let me be the first to say congratulations on your purchase and also the first to say: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/images/smilies/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

just strum
January 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM
pictures and clips??????????????

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Congrats Birv2! That is a great guitar!

F_BSurfer
January 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM
congratulation!!!!!!!!!!! them fat 50's and that pro jr should sound sweeeeet together

duhvoodooman
January 26th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Excellent choice! :AOK: :rockon:

birv2
January 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
pictures and clips??????????????

Pictures I can handle. However, I've never recorded anything. Any suggestions for a low-budget way to do that? I'm OK with technology, just don't have $600 to drop on Pro Tools or whatever.

I had the guitar set up by the tech I use, and it is just amazing now. Intonation is perfect, frets and pickups are the right height. Just a joy to play, and it really does sound sweet with the Pro Jr. I'm also adding a TS9DX in to the mix, and it just sings when cranked. :dude:

Bob

just strum
January 27th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I've used Audacity, but I need at least one good mic because I am using the laptop mic and it sucks (I'm not familiar with the direct record methods).

I will certainly be paying attention to the relies you receive from this question.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

birv2
January 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I've used Audacity, but I need at least one good mic because I am using the laptop mic and it sucks (I'm not familiar with the direct record methods).

I will certainly be paying attention to the relies you receive from this question.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I can use Audacity. I hope someone chimes in with mic and recording advice.

Bob

just strum
January 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I can use Audacity. I hope someone chimes in with mic and recording advice.

Bob

I think Old Guy has a handle on it as well as some others.

Justaguyin_nc
January 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
It really depends how much you want to invest.

But on the cheap:

You can use Audacity for free and it does about everything
the expensive programs do.. bottom line .. it records your sound.
you will need lame to convert to mp3 another free program.

then you need something to connect to the computer..

soooo many different and cheap inputs out there..

You can buy about any mic..
I think the shure 57 is an Excellent mic and the standard but not needed
if you want to go cheaper..behringer makes pretty good cheap mics.imho
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Microphones--2821

A mic preamp if you want to mic your amps:
depending on which mic you choose
I like my cheap behringer mic200 but there are many out there
http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=preamplifier&form=search

then something cheap to connect to computer..
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202

One of many easier route:

you could get a whole box with amps/effects emulation
and use it. many good ones out there, for when you want something other than the pro jr sound.

the toneports are getting popular and have some
great effects to boot..

I really enjoy the sounds from my cheap toneport GX! $69.00
You also get more recording software free with them.. but I still use
Audacity.. just so simple to use...

The UX1 version gives you the guitar and mic inputs combined for around $130.00 .. it's all up to what ya want to spend..

You can turn off the effects and go straight from amp and mic
when you wish to use that option to!

from 69 bucks on up..they are hard to beat..

Small USB port input and extras:
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Line-6-Accessories--3179

Read through the members clips etc.. so many options..
so much help can be found there..
http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20

hope some of this helps..
:AOK:

oldguy
January 27th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I was recording to Audacity through the Digitech RP-250 via USB cable, that works fine.
Lately been using the POD 2.0 L. Output w/ 1/4" stereo adapter plug into PC 1/8" mic input, that works fine too.
Generally if I want to mic the amp live I use a Shure SM-57 and record into the digital recorder (Boss BR 532) for audio. When I doing video I just let the camcorder mic handle it, but I always end up w/ a popping on the vid.
The time spent reading all the sourceforge info about Audacity is worth it.
It's better than most user manuals but takes awhile. I spent a long time learning the features by reading, and it cut the learning curve down lots. The lame Justa mentioned plus the plug-effects (it you use them) are cool features.

(You can start a new thread about this is you want to learn more. We're getting off the subject of the Strat ......).