PDA

View Full Version : Blg Combo Vs Vox Ad30vt

piebaldpython
January 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
OK, forget the headphones. What's your opinion as a strictly blues/slide amp that will take a pedal or two? Plusses/minuses. thanks.

Big K
January 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
live or home use? by big combo do you mean a 4x10" or a 200 wt with a 12" speaker?

Guitar Gal
January 1st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Pie,

I don't have the Blackheart Little Giant Combo but I do have the Vox AD30VT. From what I saw in pics of the Blackheart, it does not have a headphones jack...but you an switch from 5 watts to 3 watts which would make it quieter if you are worried about noise levels.

My vote would be go for the Blackheart. :dude: You will get a nice tube sound that will be great for what you want to play. I do like my Vox and the amp selections, but my Epi VJ and Palomino amps are just full of rich tubey goodness....can't get that sound from the Vox. My Epi and Palomino also take pedals well so I'm sure the Blackheart will sound fine with pedals as well.

Just my .02 :D

GG

wingsdad
January 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM
Pie,
You're jonesin' for amp. You're lookin' at the Voxes and BlackHearts. I'll throw these into the soup for you to stir: Tech21.

Tech21 (http://www.tech21nyc.com/)

Check out the Trademark30 (single channel) or Trademark60 (2-channel). They have headphone outs, XLR DI's, and are mean tonebones that take pedals or multi-fx units like a champ. (They don't have built-in FX, other than an Accutronics spring reverb, which might be all you need once your hear it).

The Trademark30 is the amp that Behringer reverse-engineered to create their amp-modeling circuitry employed first in their Vintager110, and then went on to employ in the GMX110 and other GMX amps, adding their built-in FX, and ultimately, they ripped off the design of the Trademark60 for their GMX210.

New, it's only $50 more than the Vox AD30VT. Here's one on e-bay now for $200, BIN for $225. Bidding ends tomorrow:
Trademark30 on E-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tech-21-TRADEMARK-30-Guitar-Amp-Tech21-TM-30-WOW_W0QQitemZ150200327864QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10171Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I had a T30 and loved it, but had to sell it in a tight spot, and regretted it. I finally got the Trademark60 1x12 a few months ago, lucky enuff to find one a few years old but near mint for $300. New they're $580 at MF or GC. That was why I got the T30: budget. But the relative versatility of the T60, with a Celestion speaker, to boot, is well-worth the price of admission.
Here's one on E-bay now, it looks pretty good (mine's an 04, too), bidding ends Jan 6, it's at $250 now:
Trademark60 1x12 on E-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tech-21-Trademark-60-Guitar-Amp-Footswitch-and-Cover_W0QQitemZ110209185646QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1017 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Pie,

I don't have the Blackheart Little Giant Combo but I do have the Vox AD30VT. From what I saw in pics of the Blackheart, it does not have a headphones jack...but you an switch from 5 watts to 3 watts which would make it quieter if you are worried about noise levels.

My vote would be go for the Blackheart. :dude: You will get a nice tube sound that will be great for what you want to play. I do like my Vox and the amp selections, but my Epi VJ and Palomino amps are just full of rich tubey goodness....can't get that sound from the Vox. My Epi and Palomino also take pedals well so I'm sure the Blackheart will sound fine with pedals as well.

Just my .02 :D

GG
I'm with GG. I play my Fender Champion 600 way more than I do my VOX AD30VT.

I'd go for the Blackheart & just play it quietly when needed.

piebaldpython
January 2nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies. As I said, I am re-learning how to play and the first time around I wasn't all that good. So, while I want a decent amp, I have to be realistic as to my skill level (or lack of one, ahaah) and that I don't have tons of time to play either. Maybe I should get something a tad less expensive but still a decent amp considering I'm a relatively new player?? What say you all?? Thanks.

mrmudcat
January 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Not sure what others will say about this next comment but oh well it is my opinion!! A 5 watt no frills tube amp over a digital patched sterile sounding pod in a box. I have personally been on a low watt tube thing for months.(resos and laps plus 5 tube watts=:crazyguy: ) I got the valve jr head and cab. While it is fun to mod ive put jj tubes in and thats it for now.The new blackheart head and cab are next on my list of toys to buy and play with.I like the separate head and cab units myself. Crate,mesaboogie,peavey,fender all offer no frills low watt models now at good prices. I do run a boss E.Q. in front of the V.J. Being old school I guess im not into the digital modeling thing or sure if I ever will be:whatever: