PDA

View Full Version : Harmonica Jammin'

Bigbear
March 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Recently, I've taken to harmonica as a good quick way to have some good laughs. Right now i have a cheap noname brand harmonica... it served me well for a couple months, but now theres a couple reeds gone and i'm ready to get a good one... right now I'm not sure what to get at all...

as guitar, theres dozens of brands and various models of harmonicas

Anyone out there wanta give me the down-lo on a good harmonica for an intermediate.... i am really old school... johnny horton, marty robbins... heh

Someone give me a hand.

Right now, i am really leaning towards the Hohner Golden Melody or the ol' Marine band... peeps say wood reeds aren't for begineers.

My budgets around $40 Canadian

warren0728
March 19th, 2006, 11:18 AM
i dabble with harmonica too (i plat a mean kumbaya!)... a player (and instructor) i know uses the Hohner Golden Melody line and recommends them...so i picked one up (E) and it works for me...but my knowledge of harmonicas is limited to what i've been told.

ww

Spudman
March 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I've worked with one of the rippingest harp players in the west and he always used metal reeds. Before he used one for a song he would dip it in a glass of clean water and then shake it out. I guess it keeps the internals clean.
I think he always used Honer Specials. He would blow out at least one harp every 2-3 weeks so he stuck with cheap ones. They sounded good and didn't cost too much to replace.

Bigbear
March 19th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Thats awesome guys, i'ts going to be a Golden Melody, i might look at some metal or wood reed ones later... but i think a Golden melody, one in C and one in G would suit me well

Played a kickass bluegrass gig lastnight, played everything i could on harp.. it was absolutely cracked.

Thx for your help!