PDA

View Full Version : Toneport/Gearbox Problem with new computer

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Santa brought us a new iMac this year for the home and use in my wife's chiro office that doubles as the guitar/recording area of the house. I have installed a clean version of Gearbox software and run updates through the update Monkey, and cannot get it to connect to the online resources at all. I have un-installed, re-installed with the latest downloadable installers, used the disc that came with the Toneport, and nothing. I figure that I have versions of the software on too many machines or something, as the software is installed on my laptop, and work computer as well. Has anyone run into problems like this when trying to bring a new computer online? Solutions? I have searched their online help, tried un-installs and re-installs as suggested. I even signed up to use my 30 free days of Guitarport Online to try it out this month as things slow down from the holidays, thinking it might activate a license or something. Hmm. :thwap:

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Strange.. I guess that this could be a Leopard problem if you dont have 10.5 on your other macs.. if not, contact line6 and tell them about your problem.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
That is the case. This is the only leopard machine, but no indication of a leopard issue in the online support area. I have asked a question on the line 6 forum in the Gearbox area, but have not received an answer after a few days. I will call when they get in tomorrow.

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Steve, Leopard did all kinds of strange stuff to my audio gear/applications. I bet that this is a known problem with 10.5 and that Line6 is working on a solution.

Read this:

http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa?messageID=139077&tstart=0

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks SS! I obviously missed that when I was looking around the Gearbox area on the same site. Patience and it will be fixed I am sure. In the meantime, I can use it on my old laptop that is not supposed to be able to run it but does. I just can't fire up Garageband to record at the same time.

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
You can download and install the Guitar Rig 3 demo for your Leo-Mac! It only works for 30 minutes and then you´ll have to restart GB though.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrig3se

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Sure, why the heck not! Though I don't want to GAS for the full deal. As I recall, it costs more than I want to spend right now. Well, I'll have to risk it. :D

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Sure, why the heck not! Though I don't want to GAS for the full deal. As I recall, it costs more than I want to spend right now. Well, I'll have to risk it. :D

Be brave Steve, be brave!

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Be brave Steve, be brave!

Done deal. Downloading the demo now. :beer:

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Good for you! But dont blame me when ´el credito´starts to whisper subliminal messages into your ears.. he wants you to buy it..

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
So here is the answer for now, which is basically what Swede directed me to:

http://line6.com/support/ann.jspa?annID=40

Gearbox works, but not the online resources for now.

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Allright!! The driver compatibility problem is now fixed with a new update just released.
http://line6.com/support/ann.jspa?annID=49

Now the online resources are available as well as the general function of the device and software. Am messing around dialing up artist presets to check them out. So much fun!

Justaguyin_nc
January 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Allright!! The driver compatibility problem is now fixed with a new update just released.
http://line6.com/support/ann.jspa?annID=49

Now the online resources are available as well as the general function of the device and software. Am messing around dialing up artist presets to check them out. So much fun!

Alrighty!!! I knew they would let MAC's catch up eventually...
Shame, the MS systems get all the breaks first!! :poke:
:rotflmao:

Im sorry..I justa had to...
glad its all working for you now!! Darn good systems.. umm line 6 stuff I mean..:poke:

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM
LOL!! All in good fun I know. Seems a long time to fix the drivers, which is what I think the problem was. But it is all right now. :)

Justaguyin_nc
January 27th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Wow...speaking of brain farts.. (ok Im speaking of them)

Ya'll know with the tone ports, you basicly have a soundcard in itself.. so you connect your computer speakers to it or headphones...

Well, I bought a splitter a while back..so I can use my headphones or computer speakers..

I truelly didn't like the sounds of music through the computer speakers.. so basicly wear headphones now.. sigh...

then it dawns on me (here is where the brain fart came in)...

I am sitting in a room with a Yamaha Stereo system to my left.. DUH!!

unplugging the computer speakers... pluging the extra split into the aux on the yamaha.. man do you guys sound good thru those recordings!!

How many people have the option of running thru a stereo? man do it.. and end the brain farts... these toneports sound great thru them... including the guitar!!
:rockon:

SuperSwede
January 28th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Justa, a stereo is the way to go. Computer speakers are often too limited to reproduce music properly.