PDA

View Full Version : FretNet history?

tjcurtin1
January 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hmmm.... I was searching around out of curiosity to see how the FretNet came into being, without sucess. I know that Robert put it up, but how about the folks who seem to be core members/moderators (Tone, Spud, DVM) - how did they find their way here - did any of you guys know each other to begin, or has it all been random discovery?

SuperSwede
January 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
It all started with a naked man cooking pancakes in Florida... you really dont want to know ;)

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
It all started with a naked man cooking pancakes in Florida... you really dont want to know ;)
:eek: :pancake: :eek: :pancake: :eek:

warren0728
January 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ss i needed a good chuckle today....of course i was hoping to keep that little bit of history a secret :pancake:

ww

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM

Then came an amph with no screaming solos.............

warren0728
January 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Then came an amph with no screaming solos.............
now that was a classic post!! a trip down memory lane! :rolleyes:

ww

Katastrophe
January 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Next was the establishment of a policy where we don't apologize for our playing...

Thanks for that post, Tone!

just strum
January 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Next was the establishment of a policy where we don't apologize for our playing...

Now that's a good rule!!!

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM

That's right. Stage fright is a terrible thing. Post your playing here amongst friends. We don't compete, and we don't criticize (unless you ask for constructive comments) what you post. Members here range from beginners to pros, from home players to weekend warriors, one big happy family.....

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Then came an amph with no screaming solos............. Classic indeed!

Spudman
January 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
I was actually searching for a place to catch worried fish and this is what turned up. I don't think I was sober.:messedup:

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hmmm.... I was searching around out of curiosity to see how the FretNet came into being, without sucess. I know that Robert put it up, but how about the folks who seem to be core members/moderators (Tone, Spud, DVM) - how did they find their way here - did any of you guys know each other to begin, or has it all been random discovery?

"Ahem"..... back to TJ's question...... I was ordering tubes from Eurotubes, finished the order and checked out some links to sites. Bob Pletka had an unhappy experience.......once.....on theFDP....you can read about it on his site......and posted a link... "tired of chris greene's all hail".etc...."try this"..so I clicked on it. Found TheFret, then Dolphinstreet, and so on. Here I am.:D :beer: :rotflmao: :AOK:
I was sober........then.

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Vood & I came at about the same time. We heard about it on the Valvetronix forum (a forum devoted to VOX Valvetronix amphs).

I don't know about the very early days except that Robert started it with Myles (long gone) & Tone was Fretter number 2 or 3 or sumpin' like that.

ted s
January 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Isn't there some history behind "amph" ?

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
Isn't there some history behind "amph" ?
Oldy was referring to:

"With this amph I can't get no screaming solos"

Was that from a Guitar Chris post? I forget.

tjcurtin1
January 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
OK, I guess I should have KNOWN BETTER than to post this question on New Year's Day.... you all sound as if you are at least heavily hung-over, if not earlier in the process! However, the HINTS of the early days are intriguing... It has often felt to me as if there was a group of old friends at the core, but I wondered how it could be with the physical (and sometimes national) distances between. Says a lot about the nature of the community that has coalesced here.

Best to everyone for a great - and music-filled - year ahead.

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
OK, I guess I should have KNOWN BETTER than to post this question on New Year's Day.... you all sound as if you are at least heavily hung-over, if not earlier in the process! However, the HINTS of the early days are intriguing... It has often felt to me as if there was a group of old friends at the core, but I wondered how it could be with the physical (and sometimes national) distances between. Says a lot about the nature of the community that has coalesced here.

Best to everyone for a great - and music-filled - year ahead. Awww, don't give up yet TJ!

As you know there is always a little mischief making with fretters. Keep poking

:poke:

& the the Fret Pioneers

(they made the long trek across the the wilds of the internet with only a dail-up:Tone is *still* a pioneer :D)

will come forth & answer your questions.

warren0728
January 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Oldy was referring to:

"With this amph I can't get no screaming solos"

Was that from a Guitar Chris post? I forget.
i think that was from a super swede post with a link to an ebay ad with a description of an amp (amph)...it was hilarious...or maybe ss just used the quote as a sig and chris originally posted it.... :thwap:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
i think that was from a super swede post with a link to an ebay ad with a description of an amp (amph)...it was hilarious...or maybe ss just used the quote as a sig and chris originally posted it.... :thwap:

ww No, I think that you are right Warren.

In fact, here it is:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=403

It contains the following line presaging Fat Strings' entrance into The Fret:

Has four equalizing controls Treble-middle-bass_ and some nob called FAT that I have never seen on another amph.

warren0728
January 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Can anyone dig up the EBaY ad in question? I tried.
that would be great....it was definitely a classic....i remember something in the ad about one of the buttons working 9,999 times out of 10,000 or something like that.... :whatever:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 08:47 PM
that would be great....it was definitely a classic....i remember something in the ad about one of the buttons working 9,999 times out of 10,000 or something like that.... :whatever:

ww Look up ^. I found it & edited my post.

SS's post date of Feb 13, 2006 explains my confusion. I joined in March of 2006 after lurking for awhile. So I must've first read The Fret just *after* this most important defining Fret phrase entered the lexicon.

Whereas Warren, who joined in Nov 2005 remembers *exactly* where he was & just which beverage shot through his nasal passages on this fateful day.

My money is on: Single Malt Whiskey ;).

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM
That's right. Stage fright is a terrible thing. Post your playing here amongst friends. We don't compete, and we don't criticize (unless you ask for constructive comments) what you post. Members here range from beginners to pros, from home players to weekend warriors, one big happy family.....

Yep, without that environment, I might not post. But we here make that environment. Thanks guys. I just finished watching Disney's "Meet the Robinson's" with my kids down with the flu. For those who haven't seen it, the family celebrates failures as huge events by saying things like "You failed!! and you did it gloriously!!! You learn from failures, even more than successes. Their motto is "Keep moving forward" This place that I found by accident lets a guy do just that. What a great place and a great way to move forward in musical expression. :beer:

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM

Best to everyone for a great - and music-filled - year ahead.

Hey, I haven't even been around here that long, TJ.:) April 25, 2006, I just checked.
I just kinda showed up, and like an orphaned....something or other....Robert, Spuds, Tone, Voodoo, Justa, SuperSwede, all the rest.... they took me in and looked after me.:AOK:
P.S Read the "I get no screaming solos with this amph" thread. It's not that you should laugh hysterically at someone else's expense..... it's just that you need to......sometimes.:D :D :D

warren0728
January 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Look up ^. I found it & edited my post.

damn that made me bust out laughing again...everyone needs to read that entire ad in the link....classic.....simply classic :rotflmao:

ww

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Hey, I haven't even been around here that long, TJ.:)
I just kinda showed up, and like an orphaned....something or other....Robert, Spuds, Tone, Voodoo, Justa, SuperSwede, all the rest.... they took me in and looked after me.:AOK:

As you guys did for me. I think a second generation then stumbled upon the fret by googling Vox modeling amphs and finding Robert's Dolphinstreet reviews and clips, and he welcoming us over here. Not long after I joined, there was a flurry of collaborative recordings that were great, with less experienced playing along with the really great players here. That is some of the first stuff I remember after joining in late '06.

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
damn that made me bust out laughing again...everyone needs to read that entire ad in the link....classic.....simply classic :rotflmao:

ww I'm dying :rotflmao:freakin' dying :rotflmao:.

warren0728
January 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
yep....this is one of my favorite lines....

"My ground is pulled out of my edison cable so I get alot of scrathy sounds and every now and then I pick up radio station."

ww :greenguitar:

Radioboy950
January 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Gentlemen, outstanding...absolutely outstanding! :rotflmao:
Here's to Dustin. I hope he eventually discovered which IMPUT he liked best in the amph.
Thanks again for diggin into the archives of fretness.

SuperSwede
January 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Look up ^. I found it & edited my post.

SS's post date of Feb 13, 2006 explains my confusion. I joined in March of 2006 after lurking for awhile. So I must've first read The Fret just *after* this most important defining Fret phrase entered the lexicon.

Whereas Warren, who joined in Nov 2005 remembers *exactly* where he was & just which beverage shot through his nasal passages on this fateful day.

My money is on: Single Malt Whiskey ;).

Guilty as charged :D
Now pass that Single Malt bottle....

warren0728
January 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Guilty as charged :D
Now pass that Single Malt bottle....
yep....you are probably right! here you go >> \_/ (neat of course...)

ww

Tone2TheBone
January 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
This is a good thread. You guys crack me up.

I think there was a thread about the history of The Fret somewhere....I think. I'm still drunk....

duhvoodooman
January 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
....this is one of my favorite lines....

"My ground is pulled out of my edison cable so I get alot of scrathy sounds and every now and then I pick up radio station."
I think my favorite, besides the classic "screaming solos" line, is:

"I would pay somebody steel my JX50 its a piece of crap."Now, that's less than a ringing endorsement! :rotflmao:

Vood & I came at about the same time. We heard about it on the Valvetronix forum (a forum devoted to VOX Valvetronix amphs).
Yup, exactly. I came across a thread there that referenced some weird Swedish Canuck guitarist who had posted some Valvetronix AD50VT video clips on his website. So I checked out Robert's site and then followed a link over here. And the rest is....infamy! ;)

There were a couple other guys here from the Valvetronix and Patchtronix sites (both Vox Valvetronix-focused websites), but I think Tot and I are the only Fret.Net "regulars" left from that group. Not that either Tot or I could be considered "regular" in the most common sense of the word.... :messedup: :messedup:

aeolian
January 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I finally took a look and I am surprised that I joined in Jan 2006. I also found this place because I was researching the Valvetronix amps, I eventually ended up with an AD30VT.

I used to have another board that was my favorite, but during the last year I've grown more and more fond of this little spot. This is the first site I check every day when I have a chance to get online.

Thank you, Robert.

Spudman
January 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
The one difference between this forum and almost all of the others is that it is easy. Navigation is a breeze, and reading the posts is easy on the eyes and logically laid out. The reply windows have everything you need and the color scheme is the best. Perfect ratio of contrast and color blends. Robert has made a very good top shelf web site. Thanks. It's my first stop after the bathroom every day...and yes I wash my hands.:D

I ended up here from Dolphin Street. I just kept seeing Dolphin Street in my search results so I checked it out. I don't even know what I was looking for. I asked Robert a question at D.S. and he steered me to thefret. Been here ever since looking for worried fish.

warren0728
January 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
i can't believe i've been here since nov 2005! thefret was in it's infancy then (less than 50 members...maybe less than 25). I remember we celebrated when we hit 100!

I think i found it doing a search for vox amps too....can't remember if the search led me to dolphin street and then here...or here and then to dolphin street!

ww

Algonquin
January 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Been here ever since looking for worried fish.
Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Classic :AOK:

tjcurtin1
January 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the laughs, guys! I knew there'd be some interesting stories here. I got here after many visits to D.S. (where I landed while looking for a Squire Tele review) and finally decided to follow the link to The Fret - glad I did!

tjcurtin1
January 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hey - we still haven't heard from the progenitor, the Father of the Fret, the creator, the Guitar God who began it all - Robert! When did the Fret become a twinkle in your eye, Robert? Did you just figure, "If I build it, they will come"?

Spudman
January 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hey - we still haven't heard from the progenitor, the Father of the Fret, the creator, the Guitar God who began it all - Robert! When did the Fret become a twinkle in your eye, Robert? Did you just figure, "If I build it, they will come"?

He must have done it on a weekend when he was recovering from a hamstring pull or something. Otherwise, as busy as he usually is it never would have gotten done. It's our good fortune that he hurt himself. Hey Rob, can you work at a bank for us now?:)

Robert
January 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Wow, look that those denominations - looks like I'm finally getting somewhere in life! Haha!

Well, here's how it all started.

Once upon a time, there were (and still are) guitar players who were frustrated by the lack of decent guitar forums, where you could speak freely in a friendly environment, without fear of being banned or getting the account disabled.

One of these guitar players was me, but the other one goes by the name of Tremoloman. He contacted me and expressed his feelings to me. I remember him saying, that if he knew how to, he'd start a new guitar forum by himself. So you can guess what idea I immediately got, being in both the web design business and being a guitar player... :)

Said and done. I convinced our company that this was a good idea, and here we are today! Tremoloman is a busy man, but the tries to stop by now and then when he can.

Beside myself and my business associates, Tremoloman was the first member. Guess who was number 2? Yep, good ol' Tone2TheBone! Tone started on my dolphinstreet forum, but I told him that TheFret.Net was the place to talk guitar.

Members who came after Tone in order:

Christian
joek86
bassume
EscalonJon
Bloozcat
Justaguyin_nc
Bigbear
tehuti
MagicBaller21
Nelskie
marnold

Tone2TheBone
January 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
I think I ran into Robert Renman from the Fender Forums first. He posted a video of him playing his Valvetronix and at that time I was going to buy one. I ventured over to his Dolphinstreet site and then he asked me what I thought about him making his own forum.

Bloozcat
January 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
I can't recall exactly how I found this site...but I know I wasn't under the influence of alcohol at the time...like I'd remember if I was...;)

No, I seem to remember that it was through FDP that I found thefret.net. I remember thinking after visiting here a couple of times; Wow, people actually speak civilly to each other here, and act like thay actually care about the opinions of others...what's up with that?

All kidding aside, I enjoy coming here because of the enthusiasim, the sharing, the caring, the comradery, and the respect that everyone here shows for one another. And, it's just plain fun...

...And isn't that the way it's supposed to be with friends?

marnold
January 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Members who came after Tone in order:

Christian
joek86
bassume
EscalonJon
Bloozcat
Justaguyin_nc
Bigbear
tehuti
MagicBaller21
Nelskie
marnold
Wow, I knew I was one of the old regulars, but I didn't realize I was that old. FWIW, I got here the same way most folks did back then, by Googling for info on my AD30VT.

warren0728
January 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
that's cool marnold...i wonder what number i was....i joined less than a month after you did! :pancake:

ww :greenguitar:

oldguy
January 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
I rode into camp later, and haven't stopped jawin' since. YEEE-HAWWW!!!:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

(We need an old west cowboy smiley...):deadhorse: This is the closest thing we have, and he killed his horse!!:messedup:

LagrangeCalvert
January 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Damn, and to think I have done luth work for Scott (tremoloman)....and he gave me a damn guitar!

SuperSwede
January 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
*BUMP*

This thread is definately worth reading for all "new" fretters (those who joined after January 5th 2008 :D )

I love browsing through our old posts.. still havent found the original "Cheese grater" thread yet... anyone??

Retro Hound
January 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hey thanks, this was great! I thought "amph" was some Swedish/Norwegian thing.

ibanezjunkie
January 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
i found the forum because i was looking for information on some guitar stuff ( i cant rememer exactly what) and a whole bunch of threads here came up.

guitarhack
January 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Best stuff I've read in ever. Glad I joined.

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hey thanks, this was great! I thought "amph" was some Swedish/Norwegian thing.
Yup, every so often someone will up & say so what the $&$&^#$@##$!! is up with this amph thing.

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Yup, every so often someone will up & say so what the $&$&^#$@##$!! is up with this amph thing.

Or just curious on why things is so grate here :D

Or why pancakes is best served nude..... :pancake

ibanezjunkie
January 24th, 2010, 03:05 PM
swede, i dont recall where the pancakes thing is from, even though ive been round here a while.

you guyz iz nutz?!

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2010, 04:13 PM
swede, i dont recall where the pancakes thing is from, even though ive been round here a while.

Search and ye shall find.. :)

you guyz iz nutz?!

Yes, of course.. we´re guitarists after all :happy

tot_Ou_tard
January 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Search and ye shall find.. :)

But don't blame us when you do.

SuperSwede
January 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM
But don't blame us when you do.

+1

Commodore 64
January 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I found The Fret googling for pictures of Michael Kelly guitars and found a post here by Auriemma.

I'm also a member of ultimate guitar forums, which is ok, just metal metal metal. And I feel old there. Here I feel younger. Not young. But younger.

street music
January 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Several came over from a WASHBURN forum , and I was one of those that had decided to learn guitar just as I started into the second half of my life, I assume that the 1st 50 were just growing pains.

Monkus
January 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm a noob to the fret. I cant figure out where to find when I joined but it might be late 2008/early 2009. I was in the market for a new git and came across Robert's review of the Fender Deluxe on Dolphin Street which led me to here. I guess the thing I appreciate the most is the respect we give each other, next would be the amount of clear concise info available. I also scored a ZYS MkII from DVM which is the awesome-ist dirt pedal ever

That Dustin thread, though, freaking hilarious !!!!! !!!