PDA

View Full Version : The bass in the Vox ADxxVT amps

Robert
March 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Anyone else than me think it's kinda boomy - on the low E and the A string especially? I had a gig last night and on the Tweed 4x10 setting, I had bass on zero and treble way up - still it was very bassy and boomy. I used my '51. I have noticed this before, but it seems to be most irritating whenever I play a gig. At home it sounds better!

I imagine the closed back is partly to blame. I haven't tried with an external cab either. Should I maybe take the back off - has anyone else tried this?

SuperSwede
March 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I havent played the ADxxVT amps that much, but closed back amps/cabinets tend to be quite "boomy" as you say. The bass sound works so much better when the amp can move air through the back imho. Is it possible to remove the back on the ADxxVT??

warren0728
March 19th, 2006, 11:23 AM
i was playing my vox this morning and noticed on certain models when i played the low E and the A string it was not only boomy but made a rattling noise :(

I tried hitting the strings while holding the chesse grater with my hand but it still rattled....i am going to have to track down the rattle 'cause it really bugs me (my epi valve jr. doesn't rattle at high volumes)

ww

SuperSwede
March 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM
perhaps one of the kids dropped something into the amp?

Guitar-Chris
March 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
i was playing my vox this morning and noticed on certain models when i played the low E and the A string it was not only boomy but made a rattling noise :(

It is the grip on top. This grip has a little bit action on both sides. If you play the amp a littlebit louder on der lower strings it is rattling...

I put the cable under the grip, one time around and then into the input jack. So it cannot disconnect unwanted and the rattle is gone, too.

warren0728
March 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
It is the grip on top.
thanks chris....i'll try that next time.

ww

Tim
March 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Both of these topics have been discussed on another website. Try the attached thread links to read more. Another solution to solve these two problems is to put a graphics EQ pedal before the VOX amp. Voxman discusses using one in many other threads on “Patchtronics”.

I hope any of these solve you problems.

For the vibration or resonance problem read this thread on the Patchtronic website. It really works for some people.
http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=107

For the heaviness or boominess of the VOX amps read the following threads from Patchtronics.

1. http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=358&highlight=boomy

2. http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=271&highlight=boomy

Chris is correct. If the grip is up, it will vibrate.

Matt
March 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Well, when you really crank it, you tend not to notice it, but ive noticed that on some models the low stings make the speaker become muddy at points- I'm using my '51 as well. Odd, as the '51 is a naturally trebally guitar, and my VS6 SG copy (which is naturally muddy, notably on the neck p/up) tends not to muddy the speaker. Hummph....

As for removing the back panel, I saw a website which some guy had done it. He removed the panel, and cut a huge square out of it, so that he was only left with the frame of panel, which he put back on. He said it sounded much clearer and airy.

Regards

Matt

Edit: dang, Tim got there first :)

Guitar-Chris
March 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Both of these topics have been discussed on another website.

For the vibration or resonance problem read this thread on the Patchtronic website. It really works for some people.
http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=107

Hm, in the mentioned thread (the very last posting!) and in my experience, the grip vibrates when it is down. When you lift it up, it gets tension on both brackets. Then there is no problem.

I was looking after this problem a long time. At first i thought, the rattle was coming from something around the amp (a loosen part of the wood at the wall or so). But teh i found out about he grip. And you can solve this very easy.

duhvoodooman
March 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I replaced the stock speaker in my AD30VT with a Celestion G10 Vintage and it reduced the harshness in the highs, as well as firming up the bass, which seemed muddy and a bit ragged to me at higher volumes.

Tim
March 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Sorry folks! I need to correct the last thread I posted. There is a typo mistake.

Guitar Chris had it right both times. I should of said "If the grip is up, it will not vibrate".

Or with the handle in the UP postion, vibrations get greatly reduced.

tot_Ou_tard
March 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Well I just did the same...huge difference. I had trouble with the bride pup on my Godin Radiator (kinda tele-ish I'm told) before. It was like an ice pick, now it is clean and sparkly.

Guitar-Chris
March 20th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Guitar Chris had it right both times. I should of said "If the grip is up, it will not vibrate".

Or with the handle in the UP postion, vibrations get greatly reduced.

The only problem is: The handle does not stay in the upper position, at least at my AD50VT. Perhaps for a few minutes, then he is again down. Perhaps a small rupper-sticker or something like that under the handle, where it goes into the brakcets... will think of it...

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Chris
Try sticking a Haribo gummi under each end of the handle. You can enjoy the rest of the bag afterwards.

Guitar-Chris
March 20th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Chris
Try sticking a Haribo gummi under each end of the handle. You can enjoy the rest of the bag afterwards.

I think Haribo licorice would fit better to the black amp? :D

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Good point.

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 06:18 AM
hmmmm....mine vibrates with the handle up or down :(

i think it is the cheese grater grill.....gonna try tightening everyting up but i have a feeling if i am going to keep the vox i am going to get rid of that grill.

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Robster - I was thinking about this last night...

I took the back off one day just to hear what it sounded like without it. Personally I thought it sounded like garbage. Too open and airy. No character. I put it back immediately. BUT try this...

Get some 1/4" plywood and cut it the same as the back...drill the screw holes etc and then drill or cut out a chunk of plywood to use as a port. Or just use 2 pieces of plywood cut so that one sits on top of the other and one is at the bottom, similar to other "combo" type amps out there. Hack on some cheap plywood to see if you like the results. If you do then cut your existing back the same, or just cover the new pieces with black tolex material.

Robert
June 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Here is an interesting read about a speaker replacement in a Vox AD50VT. I don't like the bass in my Vox - I think I must replace the speaker some day. Hard to know which one to get, but that Eminence Tonker seems like a good choice.

http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=2535.0

M29
June 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Hello Robert,

Great link thank you very much. As with most speaker enclosures I think we would have to experiment and that can be difficult and expensive but the guy from the link has taught us a lot. You just wish you could be there to hear it for yourself. Without the proper test instruments we are kind of in the dark.
In my humble opinion, I think it would be interesting to have an adjustable port to try out somehow on the back of the cab. I think it might be possible to do something with that and maybe not have to spend the money on a speaker.
Also a word of caution, I have found over the years that the back and front board on a cabinet provides a great deal of strength and if you take the whole back off I think it might weaken the whole structure. It may not be evident for a while but utilizing a hole or port of some sort will leave the outer ring of the back which will add strength in each corner where it is most effective. Doing this on a seperate piece of plywood as mentioned earlier will also keep the original to be able to put back to stock.

Just some thoughts...

Thanks again for your time and help all.

M29

M29
June 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Hello,

I was messin with the ad50vt tonight and it is my opinion that the muddy bass comes through with the headphones on as well. What do you guys think? If so things are alot deeper then I thought, the problem may be ahead of the speaker. I also felt that the mudiness was absent on the Black Face 2x12 and the Tweed 4x10. This is starting to bug me... Maybe an equalizer may be in order as Tim was saying.

M29