PDA

View Full Version : Bm collab tune

oldguy
January 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I put around 2 min on this old BT, there's over 6 min left for anyone who'd like to put their takes on it. I didn't "add" the BT to the existing ones, it's already there, I just lengthened it in Audacity. I'll put the empty backer here, plus my 2 min. worth of playing if you'd like to add to it.

BT only...
http://www.box.net/shared/rdcjxdswg0

Collaboration for Fretters...
http://www.box.net/shared/kg310m2roc

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Nice OG! I like the mellow vibe.

oldguy
January 3rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks, Steve! :)
Your turn!:D
( I know you've got the gear to record now.);)

Jimi75
January 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Oldguy,

Thank you for that beautiful bt my friend!
This bt came like "heavensent". Picked up the guitar for the first time in 14 days and I wasn't sure what was gonna come out.

If you need the solo stand alone to integrate it in your mix just let me know.

I'm right after you from 2:13 'til 3:46.
I hope you enjoy my addition:
http://www.box.net/shared/0yp51u9wkw

I played my ESP Les Paul and Plexi Marshall (Line6 Gearbox software)

Greetz
Jimi75

Radioboy950
January 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Guys, this sounds GREAT!.
And Jimi, you play it with such genuine emotion and soul.
Thanks for the jams.

just strum
January 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Great sound guys - very inspirational.

This is the stuff that makes beginners drive on:master: :AOK: :master:

Justaguyin_nc
January 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I enjoyed it all...

BTW, Jimi..on yours.. it sounds like someone is tapping the table in the background? or is it just me again?

helliott
January 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Gorgeous guys. Great BT and wonderful space in the first melody part. You both sound great. I'm compelled to chip in a bit. Don't know what that tapping is, but I'm gonna use that one. Jimi, that smoked, tapping and all.

helliott
January 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
here's my addition to this great BT. Jimi, hope your inspirational playing is helping you through your difficult time. Guitars are golden that way.
http://www.box.net/shared/23bf0u7ksw

oldguy
January 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for contributing on this tune, guys! I think collaborations are a great way to jam together from long distance.
Jimi, I especially liked the way you kept the vibe I started on the track, and still made it your own style. Emotional, soulful playing, I think your concentration is very nice on this. Thank you, my friend.:)
helliott, I also like the way you kept the groove going, almost like the three of us were taking turns soloing on stage..... nice job. Thank you.

Well, looks like we've solo'd from the midwest US, to Germany, and Canada!:beer:
Maybe somebody will bring it on around the globe, or take it back someplace for another run.:)

Jimi75
January 6th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I enjoyed it all...

BTW, Jimi..on yours.. it sounds like someone is tapping the table in the background? or is it just me again?

when I import an mp3 file the bass drum always taps. I hate this and I do not know how to handle this issue. This is why I offered my solo take also stand alone so that Oldguy could implement it in his bt.

Jimi75
January 6th, 2008, 04:15 AM
here's my addition to this great BT. Jimi, hope your inspirational playing is helping you through your difficult time. Guitars are golden that way.
http://www.box.net/shared/23bf0u7ksw

Helliot, I am blown away. That was such a great take on bringing the story to the next step. Very original sounding your blues licks and great phrasing.

I really hope some more guys add their lines as this collaboration is really great!

ted s
January 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Holy crap guys !, you guys are SMOKIN ! that was frign awsome..
OG, what did you do the bt with ?
Maybe I should try to get on this..

oldguy
January 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Holy crap guys !, you guys are SMOKIN ! that was frign awsome..
OG, what did you do the bt with ?
Maybe I should try to get on this..

Thanks, Ted.

I didn't do it, it was from a BT site. I think the original was Memphis Bm blues, something like that. It was in the BT site maybe a year ago.

Yes, you should.:D

eichaan
January 6th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm working on a take right now...

eichaan
January 6th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Here is a link. I put it at the beginning. The link is just me (no backing). I hope I did it right!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=789717&songID=6142239

ted s
January 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
edit ..link below

Here is an attempt. I guess around 3:46 ? Kinda quiet and $hitty sounding, not very bright. I used Garage Band. Gotta spend some more time with the s/w.
Thanks for the poke guy's !

ted s
January 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
hey, how come box.net doesn't have a play option on mine ?

ted s
January 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM
ok, converted to mp3.. duh..
http://www.box.net/shared/sjvr0io8wc

helliott
January 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Great to get you guys involved. Good job. If we keep it up one of these days we'll be able to see Jimi's level from here! Gotta keep working in the woodshed. And thanks to OG for a great track.

oldguy
January 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Nice job, guys!:AOK:
Jimi, I didn't understand you at first about the reload, and the other guys takes were on there when I caught it. I doubt I would've tried to change it anyway, I'd be afraid I'd mess up and lose your solo.
Ted, you said your solo didn't have a bright EQ to it, but it reminded me of B.B. King, the way your phrasing sounded.:beer:
eichaan, I listened to you solo, it sounded good, but I don't have an account w/ soundclick, and couldn't figure out how to get your part downloaded to try and sync it w/ the BT.:whatever: Sorry.... good playing, tho, nice sound.
Thanks to everybody who played.

duhvoodooman
January 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Well, since Helliot left about 50 sec. or so at the end, I just filled it up and faded it out at the end. I'm not in a league with these guys, but I figure it's still better than 50 sec. of just the BT.... :D

Recorded with my Epi '56 Goldtop into my Valve Jr. and out through the Drive 2x12 cab. I doubled up the Behringer TO100 Tube Overdrive and my ZYS in the "cool" MOSFET clipping mode for the distortion, and added a smidge of delay. The first part is on the neck pickup with the treble rolled all the way off for that old EC "woman tone", and the second part is on the bridge pickup with the tone up at about three-quarters.

http://www.box.net/shared/i2ojysbhcg

helliott
January 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Sounds great, Voodoo. That Goldtop rails very nicely.

ted s
January 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Nice job Vood ! gotta do this more often, big fun that !

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Guys, that was really amazing. I love listening to all of you play. Quite an inspiration.

Ok, on the more beginner end of things, I started a new one up. Constructive criticism welcome. I feel I could benefit from good control over a vibrato, and my bends are not to pitch as I would like. Mostly though, someone hop in.

http://www.box.net/shared/gvr1sl18gc

Here is a different take.

http://www.box.net/shared/wsmhtb4sgw

Feel free to comment on both or either, and someone please hop in on one or the other. :pancake:

Jimi75
January 8th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Sunvalleylaw,

I am happy to finally hear your playing!
Here's what I think:
- you play very clean and I heard no noises of undamped strings.
- you leave enough space to make the song breath, this is what I call a very healthy basis to develop classic blues phrasing.
- you key notes are pretty good. Don't know if you intentionally followed the chords but everything fits in very well.
- your bending especially in the first take sounds exotic. The attack and the way you bend reminds me of some blues great but I forget the name - sorry!
- the recording quality is briliant as is also the guitar sound

My friend you are on a very good way and I can almost smell which kind of guitar player sleeps in you.

:dude:

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Right on Steve ! I'd like to jump in but I "should" go to work.
Hmm, work, virtual jam.. work, virtual jam...
Difficult decision.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Wow, thanks guys! Ted, when you have time please do. Jimi, I did not consciously follow the chords, but had a general idea in mind. I tried to start with a single, short phrase and flow from there. I appreciate the comments!

aeolian
January 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Steve, excellent effort for your first recording that I've heard!

From what I can hear you are already doing bends, hammer ons, and pull offs effectively. Those are pretty much the basis for all solos. And your timing is right on; this may sound simple, but lots of people (including myself) have problems with it. Keep playing along to backing tracks like this one and you will start to find more and more melodies and riffs that you can work in. Since this backing track is essentially "The Thrill Is Gone" from BB King, give the song a listen and try to pick out some of the riffs from it, there are just a few and none of them that hard.

This is great fun, ain't it?

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Since this backing track is essentially "The Thrill Is Gone" from BB King, give the song a listen and try to pick out some of the riffs from it, there are just a few and none of them that hard.
Exactly right. And that caused me problems in trying to solo over this BT, 'cuz those B.B. riffs kept dancing around in my head. Hard to keep them out of your playing, when a tune is as familiar as this one. At least, it is for me....

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I found the same thing Vood.
Jimi and Helliot certainly didn't have a problem adding some hair to it though eh?!

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I found the same thing Vood.
Jimi and Helliot certainly didn't have a problem adding some hair to it though eh?!
None whatsoever. Those boys are up a click or three from our level! :master:

Spudman
January 8th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Nice job Sunny boy. Solid tone, good note selection, no wanking. I am particularly impressed by your ability to underplay. Like Jimi says you leave plenty of room for the material to breathe. Way to go.:bravo:

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Sounds great Sunvalley-Steve!

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Where else could I go where players of your caliber would take time to listen to me, and take time to comment. I surely do appreciate it. :beer:

M29
January 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Nice playing all. Steve I wish I had that feel, that sounded great for a first time record. Lots of good advice here, thanks all.

M29

oldguy
January 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Sunny Steve, your takes sounded great.:D You've improved lots, keep it going, brother!!:AOK:
I'll add one thing here, hope it doesn't cause a ruckus......:thwap:
the BT is, as said, essentially, the thrill is gone...listen to that song, get comfortable with it.
After you've done that, go back and listen to all the Fretter's takes again, and listen to what the song can be interpreted as....not just what it was on vinyl.
In time, you will hear what you want to do with the progression, and learn to play with it different ways, and decide what sounds best to you. Have fun.:D

helliott
January 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Steve, that was really nice. I can't add much to what all these guys have said. I agree, keep that nice, laid-back feeling with space between notes -- don't succumb to overplaying like I sometimes do.
Vibrato is key to distinctive blues playing. Every accomplished player has his/her own vibrato style, so it's good to find one that works for you and get comfortable with it. It's also good to learn and fast and a slower vibrato, but that will come with time.
Your bends sound great. Good to keep in mind that half tone bends as well as full-step bends work nicely, especially in minor progressions.
You got a nice, clean, spacious sound on your first recording. Great stuff.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks again all of you for the tips and feedback. It sure is nice to receive all this help. Now, one of you fretters, hop in on one of these please and keep OG's track going a second time. How about one of the other newer or less experienced? Or one of the sage advisors would be welcome too. Ted, you were thinking about a second go. :-)

ted s
January 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I might be "working from home" today. So, maybe.. ;)

ted s
January 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Got the fretters flu
http://www.box.net/shared/dq4707oo4s , I think there is about 4 minutes left, come on guys, get in there.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Allright!! Thanks Ted. I like where you took it. I also like how you snuck in that delay at the end. :AOK: :AOK: This is so much fun!

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM
SVL, I finally got a chance to hear your clips last night (they block 'em through the network here at work). Nice effort there, especially that second one where you were "taking some chances", so to speak. Enjoyed those bends; believe me, they'll become easier with practice, both physically and w/r to controlling your pitch. Good going! :AOK: :beer:

just strum
January 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Steve,

I don't have the expertise to critique or offer any suggestions, but I will say I enjoyed it and i hope I can join you soon.

:AOK: :AOK: :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Steve,

I don't have the expertise to critique or offer any suggestions, but I will say I enjoyed it and i hope I can join you soon.

:AOK: :AOK: :AOK:

Thanks guys for taking time to check it out. DVM, I did not understand the w/r abbreviation. Fill me in please. Strum, go ahead and hop in!

jasongins
January 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Ok, I'm in. I hop on just after Ted at about 2:11. SX STL Ash telecaster copy on middle position of the pickup switch, line6 toneport on Steel Bendies preset.

http://www.box.net/shared/kx4y4fps8s

I think the w/r abbreviation means "with regard to"

oldguy
January 9th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I've listened to this new take 5 times over now, and I can honestly say I love it so much more than the first take we other Fretters did it's insane!!!
You all jumped on this and gave it such a fresh, new perspective, it's so much more blues-oriented......just great.:bravo:
Steve, your getting the basics down to a tee, keep playin', man, you've got talent, sharpen your licks, your timings good.:beer:
Ted, I still hear BB when I hear you. Is that a conscious thing, or do you just play like the King naturally???:master:
Jason, I hear a little more blues rock in your playing.... nice!:AOK:
I am sure glad I started this!!:whatever: See, what I always hope happens is some of the newer Fretters, (or older ones... ) who are a little shy will get on board and just let it all hang out and play... kudos, guys, very, very, nice job, all of you!!:dude:

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Jason, that rocks! I really like the progressive chord 2/3 through or so. I always like those back when I played piano a long time ago. I hadn't thought about trying that on a guitar. Thanks so much for joining, and for helping me disperse my brain f*rt about the w/r. Duh! Thanks for starting them up Glenn!!

ted s
January 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Nicely done Jason, this is fun stuff.
Glenn, thanks for the compliment, it's not deliberate, I think it's the back track and that I was lacking any additional dirt. I'm trying to dirty it up but the same licks keep coming out, help me I'm stuck ?! :confused:
I've been practicing against the track like crazy but I keep getting the same type of results, subliminal metal brain fart I guess.

Spudman
January 9th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Great job guys. :bravo:

One of the hardest things to do is to underplay. You all did a great job of not trying to fill the space but instead laid back and just played what was necessary. This is a huge step.

Unfortunately as you learn more you will find yourself overplaying. It's what we all do. Just remember what you did on this track and to keep it simple. It make it much more listenable and tasteful.

Tone2TheBone
January 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Would someone be a good guy and email me the latest addition to the collab with the backing track? Steve? Bob? Someone? Again I cannot access box.net during the days and from home in the evening it takes too damn long so I don't even try. I want to hear and maybe even give it a go on the Blues Jr.

Justaguyin_nc
January 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
really enjoyed this guys!! thanks for the listen..:bravo:

Psssst Tone... Road Runner dude..Road Runner.. turn loose those greenbacks!! (Im not talking speakers here)

did someone mail it? let me know..:beer:

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Done. :R :DR :rockon: :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
January 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Got it. You guys are great thanks for helping! I'll try and do something with it tomorrow afternoon. Sunvalley's recorded tone has inspired me to record with my microphone. The version I got from oldguy (I guess he beat your send Sun) has several people on it and the last one stops at 3:12. I'm assuming this is the latest one. I don't want to post something before someone elses. I don't know who did the playing on them though can someone tell me the order?

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
It was me, followed by TedS, followed by JasonGins. That timing should be right for everyone. Jason came in at 2 something.

Tone2TheBone
January 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
It was me, followed by TedS, followed by JasonGins. That timing should be right for everyone. Jason came in at 2 something.

Ok yup that's the version I got from OG and you. If someone else does one before I get to post I'll be sure and check here first before uploading. I got to see Mr. BB King last month and this groove is making me want to record. Thanks Steve. :beer:

oldguy
January 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, this is getting more use than last time! Bravo, guys! :D :bravo: :bravo:
Meself, Spud, & SS took this for a spin over a year ago, 'member, guys?...you 'member...:rotflmao:

I 'membered.:) :beer:

http://www.box.net/public/7xe85fzkg7

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1878

Spudman
January 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Meself, Spud, & SS took this for a spin over a year ago, 'member, guys?...you 'member...:rotflmao:

That was a trip down memory lane.:munch:

jasongins
January 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hey OG -

There is a track you posted awhile back that may be fun to revisit. It was called "medium funky blues" and think it was in E. Do you know which one I mean? I may have it somewhere on my computer.

oldguy
January 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Hey OG -

There is a track you posted awhile back that may be fun to revisit. It was called "medium funky blues" and think it was in E. Do you know which one I mean? I may have it somewhere on my computer.

Edit:
It was on an old post I made called "3 BT's", finally found it.
Here's the link to the tracks. It's the first one, the drop down arrow on the right lets you download it.

http://www.box.net/public/jm30gj69mh#1:4604850

SuperSwede
January 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM

I 'membered.:) :beer:

http://www.box.net/public/7xe85fzkg7

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1878

Yeah thats where I heard this backing track before! Thanks Oldguy!

Btw, nice guitarwork on that old backer Spud & Oldguy !

M29
January 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hello All,

Well I finally got some time with no family around to give this one a try. It has been a long time since I did this. Please excuse the bumps.
I used my Squire Strat that I set up like a '51 along with my Valve Junior and Arion Tubulator pedal.
I tried to keep from running on which I always do. I need to work on building up at the end and not just keep the same dynamics all the way though. I guess that comes with experience. Thanks for listening all:D

http://www.box.net/shared/023rpqn40s

M29

oldguy
January 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Woo-hoo, yeah, man! That was great, M29. Your blues sound, both the playing and the gear used, is really fine. Wonderful job, thanks for the clip.:bravo: :bravo:

ted s
January 23rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Nice job M29 !, liked it very much.

M29
January 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys:D

M29

helliott
January 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Very nice touch, 29. I liked your short, tight vibrato style. Very effective. Nice tone, too.

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Great M29!! I really like it. Tone, timing and technique, three T's accomplished! Also, you really took it in your own direction which was really nice too. A little like Santana edged blues, but really your own deal. Cool! :bravo: :bravo: :AOK: :AOK:

M29
January 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know why I keep getting out of key. The guitar was in tune but I keep getting sour at times. I guess it will come with more experience. I kind of rushed it but it was fun. I tried to slow down and do short phrases and I think I got a good start. It really felt good to lay back and try to say something instead of going and going and going like I have been doing since I started....:D

Thanks again all.

M29