PDA

View Full Version : Improvising

just strum
January 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Strum. I'm improvising to a backing track. There are lots of BT's under the Home Recording thread, in the sub forum, if you want to search some out to play along.

I tried a little today and let me sum it up like this "I suck". OG, I am no where near as smooth or fluid as you demonstrated in this video XoOLYQeQYAI[/QUOTE].

You seem to know where the hell you are going. When I do it the sound is more choppy and no direction. Any tips besides "keep practicing"?

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I suck too. That's some great playing Oldy.

oldguy
January 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
You seem to know where the hell you are going. When I do it the sound is more choppy and no direction. Any tips besides "keep practicing"?

I have always taken a "little piece", just a few notes, and worked on them until I could play them more smoothly. Then I'd do it again w/ another small riff, until I could tie them together. When I began to see how they tied together I practiced them trying to "set up my next shot", as it were, kind of like playing pool, leaving yourself where you can get to the next string w/o being too awkward. I also take a new riff and practice it in one key only, e.g. "Cmaj",
until I think I know it, then practice it in another key.
And believe me when I tell you, Strum, when I watch a video or listen to a clip I made, I catch myself thinking...... "There! Right there! I lost my timing, I didn't play that as smooth as I should've.":thwap: (It's right at 1:30 on the vid you put up.);)
And when I watch Robert's lessons........ back to the drawing board....:master:
This one might help...I tried to break it down as best I could...the "Blues licks in Am Pt 2" that follows it shows the licks played to a BT.

ONejINQ2TAM

M29
January 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Hello Oldguy,

Sounding good! Nice phrasing and no overplaying. Man I have a heck of a time letting notes ring, I keep going and going and going. I am working on it though. Someone said a short while ago to close your eyes or look away and not look at the neck and I am finding that it is helpful. Just listen to the notes flow. The problem I have is I can't make the notes flow:D

Sounds Good!

M29

oldguy
January 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I have a hard time not overplaying, and losing my timing because of that.
I always seem to want to play beyond my ability, when I could just relax and let the music flow. On the other hand, I don't want my playing to sound like metronome notes.....tick-tock....tick-tock.....to the tune..so I'm working on that. I've said before though, music is supposed to be fun, that's why it's called playing.....so have fun with it, don't take it too seriously. Sure, practice and improve, just don't be consumed by it.... unless you're having fun!
Watch Robert play on his videos. He relaxes and kicks butt.:master:
Listen to Spud jam on a BT. Lots of times he does one take, and goes w/ the flow.:master:
Listen to the palette of colors within you, and taste the sounds you hear, then touch them with your fingers, and enjoy them as they wash over you.:greenguitar:

And remember- if you stand with your nose against the cans of green beans on the supermarket shelf, you can't see the other vegetables. Get it?:AOK:

just strum
January 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
This one might help...I tried to break it down as best I could...the "Blues licks in Am Pt 2" that follows it shows the licks played to a BT.

Yep, I like that one. It's simple, slow and you can walk away with something in fairly short order. Been giving it a try and I have one more day of vacation to work on it.

Thanks.

SuperSwede
January 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
Good video Oldguy.. I really like your strat tone ! :R

Plank_Spanker
January 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
I have a hard time not overplaying, and losing my timing because of that.
I always seem to want to play beyond my ability, when I could just relax and let the music flow. On the other hand, I don't want my playing to sound like metronome notes.....tick-tock....tick-tock.....to the tune..so I'm working on that. I've said before though, music is supposed to be fun, that's why it's called playing.....so have fun with it, don't take it too seriously. Sure, practice and improve, just don't be consumed by it.... unless you're having fun!

Sometimes it's just pure fun to jam to a track and see just how far you can stretch yourself - even if it turns into a train wreck. :D I do it when I get bored with band homework or get stuck in a rut.....just go at it with an anything goes, damn the torpedoes approach. It's a blast, and I usually learn a lick or two in the process.

Kudos for your playing in the clips - nice and smooth. :beer:

just strum
January 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
OG,

I had a good time with that lesson (2nd video). I'm still "choppy" but it's getting there.

What equipment do you use to do the videos?

I also have to find out about recording, maybe in another section or a new thread.

Kazz
January 4th, 2008, 05:27 AM
OG,

I had a good time with that lesson (2nd video). I'm still "choppy" but it's getting there.

I also have to find out about recording, maybe in another section or a new thread.

Strummer.....the first thing you have to realize brother is....(insert hulk hogan promo here) OG is fluid yes....but it is also not his first time playing the piece in the video. Brother....

oldguy
January 4th, 2008, 06:20 AM
OG,

I use a Sony Handycam (that I bought my wife for Christmas last year), and use Windows Movie Maker, then transfer to Youtube in wmv. format. And I always, always, get that popping sound. :mad: I've adusted settings on my computer, on the camera, grrrr!! And the kicker is, the noise isn't there except when I'm playing- it comes and goes as I'm playing.
It's not me tapping my foot, either.....although I can't sit still when I play...can't stand still either.

just strum
January 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
And the kicker is, the noise isn't there except when I'm playing- it comes and goes as I'm playing.

That's exactly what my Jamman is doing.

sunvalleylaw
January 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
If I practice a melody I know, I can play more smoothly. I have been struggling with learning how to play that way when I improvise. OG's tips for breaking it down in small pieces seems like a good approach.

just strum
January 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I listened to "Bm collab tune" a couple of times to try to get a feel for the art of improvising (jamming) and I think I picked up some things, but certainly not to the point where I would add my contribution to something like that. Hopefully in the near future I can add to those types of collaborations.

Nice job.

ted s
January 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Strum, copy that backing track to a disk (original post by OG), stick it in your CD player and have at it ! It's nice and long and pretty relaxed. You may surprise yourself !

Give'r man, give'r !

oldguy
January 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Strum, copy that backing track to a disk (original post by OG), stick it in your CD player and have at it ! It's nice and long and pretty relaxed. You may surprise yourself !

Give'r man, give'r !

Yeah, buddy!!!:bravo:
Ted, I'd say I've learned more from jamming w/ records (remember records?), and going to jam sessions than anything else. I'm not good with theory, can't go into detail about intervals, etc. I play by ear, by feeling, and I love jamming, having fun. That's all it's about to me. I grab BT's and jam. I'm not trying to play songs note for note (I probably would if I were still in a copy band, tho.), I'm just having FUN!!
Strum, I'm just curious, not being a smartaleck, what key do you feel most comfortable playing in?

just strum
January 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Give'r man, give'r !

I'm not real computer savvy and I'm not sure exactly how to download the BT, but I can figure it out since I have downloaded some things off the web. Hey, I know the only way to learn is by listening to others and then doing. I sometimes think I should be playing at a 15+ year level of experience after only 1.5 years of actually playing (lack of patients and too critical of my ability)

Strum, I'm just curious, not being a smartaleck, what key do you feel most comfortable playing in?

You know OG, not having a whole lot of experience I would probably say I am most comfortable in A, only because the few things that I've worked on have been in the key of A. I will also be honest with you and say I haven't completely grasped the whole "key" thing. I just started taking a much more active pursuit of learning the fret board and getting a better understanding of terminology I see discussed here.

The goal - 2008 to be a breakout year. Although I gained experience in 2007, I want to get where I can put those things to practice and I agree with you 100% about jam sessions. The little bit of time I've spent playing with another guitarist have yielded the most progress.

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Prolly A minor and D minor pentatonic for me are the most familiar feeling. I can do the other keys, but just need to take a minute and find out where I am playing. I can finally do that now, after learning somehow while learning new barre chords.