PDA

View Full Version : Kustom Hv-30 Hybrid Amp

piebaldpython
January 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=77&ProductID=77&Tab=0

Check this out. Any of you get GAS after reading about this? Celestion speaker, two channels, FX, galore. Any thoughts pro or con on this? I am narrowing down my search, so thanks for your patience. Somebody at work tipped me off to this to check out.

Algonquin
January 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hey Pie... Not trying to sound like a broken record, but it looks similar to the AD30VT in price. Lots of folks here swear by the Vox. Are the Vox amps on your review list as well?

tunghaichuan
January 2nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=77&ProductID=77&Tab=0

Check this out. Any of you get GAS after reading about this? Celestion speaker, two channels, FX, galore. Any thoughts pro or con on this? I am narrowing down my search, so thanks for your patience. Somebody at work tipped me off to this to check out.

I'm not familiar with that product, and I've never seen a schematic but one thing to keep in mind with those SS amps with a tube in the preamp is that sometimes the tube does absolutely nothing. The signal never passes through it. Or other times, the tube is operated on low voltage a la Tube Works. I personally don't like the sound of tubes operated at low voltages and I've owned several amps and pedals that had this type of circuit.

In one case, there is a "tube" mic preamp where the tube isn't even connected to anything. There is an LED behind the tube to simulate filament glow.

Of course the bottom line is to try it out and if it sounds good to you, then it is good.

tung

mrmudcat
January 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have a hybrid from late 70's early 80's which have 3 x preamp tubes,it is one of the best damn amps ive ever had and ill die with it!!!:master: Not sure about the kustom but I tried and tried to find the exact celestion used to no avail:thwap: Safe to say it most likely is a cheap china celestion :whatever: