PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Robert...been fooling around w/ Mary Had a Little Lamb

duhvoodooman
March 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Had never tried to learn that SRV tune, but your video inspired me to try, and was very helpful in doing so! Thanks!

Clip attached. I found a backing track at GuitarBT.com. I slowed it down just a tad, since I'm just learning the tune. Plus Audacity let's you change the pitch (SRV tuned to E flat), so that I didn't even have to retune my LP.

I made a couple of changes. First, on those various phrases, I like ending on the low note (E or A), rather than the octave up--just a personal preference. Secondly, rather than sliding the notes down on that last section, I like to hammer on the B and then pull off to the A and G. Adds one note, but I kind of like the way it sounds. I repeated this phrase a few times at the end just to demonstrate the sound a little more clearly.

And I love that E7#9 chord to end with! SRV used it a lot, I've noticed.

Recorded with my new Behringer mic using my LP (both pups) and the AD30VT set to the UK70's model (gain only halfway to keep it clean; treble at 3/4, mid and bass about half) and a touch of reverb. No other effects/pedals.

I definitely have to get a better sound card, 'cuz this one is terrible for the trebles. The recording lacks the brightness of the real sound from the amp.

Mary Had A Little Lamb Intro (http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/MHALL_Intro.mp3)

warren0728
March 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
cool voodoo...that one is on my short list to learn!

ww

Robert
March 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Good job Voodoo - I am glad my video lesson was helpful for you! It sounded pretty much spot on.

Bigbear
March 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I always found mary had a little lamb, I say i got at least 7 versions maybe more that i heard and don't own... guarenteed... every song has a totally different instrumental that he improvised on stage. Its a song for the few who can graspe his style I think...

SRV WAS THE MAN, no ifs and or s**t about it... last great guitarist i think we will ever see.

duhvoodooman
March 20th, 2006, 07:54 PM
SRV WAS THE MAN, no ifs and or s**t about it... last great guitarist i think we will ever see.

No arguments from me, Bear! The MAN with a capital M-A-N!!

Agree with you about the different "flavors" of the various MHALL recordings. And he could lay down some just amazingly fast & rhythmic chord work on the tune. Guitarists who can basically just improvise on the fly and still have it sound great are a rare breed indeed. And I put SRV right at the head of that class!