PDA

View Full Version : I have got to get one of these - Electric Sitar!

Tone2TheBone
January 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
I've always wanted one and I saw a similar thread over at FDP and thought it would be cool to talk about this here.

mx4N_bZ7nRo&feature=related

R_of_G
January 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Now THAT is something to GAS for.:AOK:

SuperSwede
January 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Awesome... get one Rob!

LowEndWonder
January 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I tryed one, they do sound cool, but it's not like a real Sitar.
These days you don't see many authentic sitars like in the 60's.
I saw one recently at a local music shop. 8thStreet Music to be exact.
He gets in maybe one a year. He's got a connection with some guy in India.
They are an intrigueing, unusual, exotic, and almost weird sounding insrtrument.

Tone2TheBone
January 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I've never seen a live one here yet but I bet they're pretty expensive.

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Just imagine all the cool Rolling Stones / Beatles licks that you could play with that baby!

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
That would be fun, indeed! Somebody get one already!

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 11:12 AM
everybody should save up and buy me one for next christmas.

Guitar Gal
January 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Here ya go T2TB:

http://www.rondomusic.com/sitar.html

Go for it :dude:

GG

Tone2TheBone
January 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks GG!

Swedester - Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Stones and Bee-ah tuls acid rockin'!

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Get that one, Tone! Have you sold enough old pedals yet to be able to afford one? :beer:

pie_man_25
January 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
yes tone, you have to get an electric sitar.

Danzego
January 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
*looks at picture*

Ick, no!! I doubt anyone is contemplating it, but don't even bother wasting the 350 bucks. A sitar isn't just a guitar that makes funny noises, but that's exactly what it looks like they're going for here. There's an actual method to playing a real sitar that's totally different than what this monstrosity is and there are even strings that it doesn't account for. That's not even getting into playing style and all that (again, which wouldn't translate).

I actually have a bit of experience with real Sitars. :) I used to own one, but had to ditch it as I just didn't have room for it in the move from Chicago to Oregon a few years back. :(

Anyway, yeah....if you ever play a real one, you'll take one look at this electric sitar thing here and know it's just someone's silly workshop project that they (or some other clown) wrongly decided it would be a good idea to market.

sunvalleylaw
January 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I think Steve Miller brought out a combo guitar electric sitar he had bought years ago in new york at his show here recently. He did some cool stuff with it. Go after it for us Tone!

player
January 13th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Know someone that bought a Hohner Coral Electric Sitar off of Ebay.
they know it is not like the real thing but it serves them well in some
projects.they like the challenge of learning to play it plus incorporating it in their music styles.below is the picture of it.

http://home.netcom.com/~thumbody/sitar1.jpg

mrmudcat
January 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Duane Allman played an electric sitar on one of his muscle shoals studio sessions(king curtis??) What kind of sitar does derek trucks play??(both regular sitar and electric) The electric sitar is made for guitar players and rock,jazz,fusion, r&b,blues,world,americana,genres of music not for classical ,indian eastern,music and unlike "real sitars".The sympathetic strings or resonant strings are really meant to just resonate vibrate when playing the regular stings on the fretboard.(usually a lipstick pup or other s.c. is used to amplify these strings) I think they resonate one octave lower. Born in the 60's it was never intended or pretended to be a "real sitar" but a completly different animal electrified and built for guitar players not classical sitar players.(not that there is anything wrong with these players) Sitar is a fairly complicated instrument not much use for southern longhairs :rockon:

Justaguyin_nc
January 14th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Sitar in Da Blues...

j7dtbdOxWKY

Psssst tone.. $299.00 at MF.. umm and that 20% discount coupon
..hmmm..there's still room in our gigtruck:)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-STR1-Pro-Electric-Sitar-Guitar?sku=519273

mrmudcat
January 14th, 2008, 01:53 AM
"Anyway, yeah....if you ever play a real one, you'll take one look at this electric sitar thing here and know it's just someone's silly workshop project that they (or some other clown) wrongly decided it would be a good idea to market."

Really??? You might want to check this statement;) Are you talking about all electric sitars or are you just reffering to this particular one because I think your confusing what the original design was meant to be and again it was never meant to be a traditional sitar!:dude: There are also sitars that are electric but made the traditional way(body shape neck) and played the sameway ,tradional eastern music. Are these real or fake!!:thwap:

Santana, Duane,Steve Miller,Robert johnsoin,Derek Trucks(among others) all have used electric sitars.Or electric guitar with the resonant strings:D The newer design sitars of some electric guitar makers are just trying to appeal to the mainstream by making the bodies resemble sitars sort of.

R_of_G
January 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Santana, Duane,Steve Miller,Robert johnsoin,Derek Trucks(among others) all have used electric sitars.Or electric guitar with the resonant strings:D The newer design sitars of some electric guitar makers are just trying to appeal to the mainstream by making the bodies resemble sitars sort of.

Not to mention that in his early-mid 1970's bands Miles Davis had an electric sitar player. It is a completely different instrument from the indian classical instrument, but this hardly makes it useless.

Tone2TheBone
January 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Good responses thanks.

Justa...what 20% off coupon?

Justaguyin_nc
January 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Good responses thanks.

Justa...what 20% off coupon?

Oops..thought everyone got one that bought from them... good till end of feb.

Tone2TheBone
January 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I've never bought anything from MF. Dang I could have used that coupon too.

mrmudcat
January 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Mine was/is 10% free shipping! You got a pm Tone!:D :beer:

player
January 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The Guitarist/studio muscian/technician that bought that Coral Sitar Lives in Phoenix,Az but works in a burb of it.I happen to live in Kentucky at present but also looking to move too. Again :thwap:

Tone2TheBone
January 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Mine was/is 10% free shipping! You got a pm Tone!:D :beer:

I do? Look...I do. Gonna see. :AOK: