PDA

View Full Version : Pedals Or Gmp's?????

piebaldpython
January 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Let's deal with Digi-Tech products for this, OK? How do you decide if it's best to have pedals (Bad Monkey, Hot Rod, Crossroads, etc) versus GMP's (Guitar Modeling Processors; like RP 50, 70, 90, 150, 250, 350 etc)??? Being brand new to the electric side, about to buy my first amp, interested mainly in blues/slide guitar, which is best for me?? Do you get the same sound out of a pedal as you do with a similar effect off a GMP?
I figured out which pedals might be good for blues/slide. Could any of you give me advice re the best GMP for my needs?? I noticed the lower number Digi-tech GMP's had a chromatic tuner but I didn't see mention of one in the higher models. Don't they have a tuner too??? Thanks guys.
I plan on test driving the Palomino 5W tube, the Blackheart LG tube, and the Tech 21 Trademark 30 analog. Maybe the Kustom HV-30 hybrid also.

tunghaichuan
January 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Let's deal with Digi-Tech products for this, OK? How do you decide if it's best to have pedals (Bad Monkey, Hot Rod, Crossroads, etc) versus GMP's (Guitar Modeling Processors; like RP 50, 70, 90, 150, 250, 350 etc)??? Being brand new to the electric side, about to buy my first amp, interested mainly in blues/slide guitar, which is best for me?? Do you get the same sound out of a pedal as you do with a similar effect off a GMP?
I figured out which pedals might be good for blues/slide. Could any of you give me advice re the best GMP for my needs?? I noticed the lower number Digi-tech GMP's had a chromatic tuner but I didn't see mention of one in the higher models. Don't they have a tuner too??? Thanks guys.
I plan on test driving the Palomino 5W tube, the Blackheart LG tube, and the Tech 21 Trademark 30 analog. Maybe the Kustom HV-30 hybrid also.

I had a Digitech RP50 for a while but ended up selling it. I know some of the members here have some of the higher models, so I'll let them comment on those.

To my ears those modellers do two things really well: crystal clean SS sounds and Dual Rectifier/Soldano SLO scooped death metal sounds. I've always found the lower gain just-on-the-edge-of-breakup sounds to be kind of lacking.

If you want to restrict your playing to blues/slide I'd recommend a bluesy pedal such as any of the Tube Screamers, Boss Blues Driver or OD, Bad Monkey, or any of the Behringer OD knock offs. If you plan on practicing at home the Blackheart or Palomino combos might be a good choice.

OTOH, that Trademark 30 is a killer amp. I've owned Tech21 pedals before and they all sound excellent. You wouldn't need an OD pedal with that amp.

I don't know anything about the new Kustom amps, and can't comment.

Finally, one cool thing about those modellers is that they have lots of amp, FX and speaker cabinet models and as such are very fexible tonally. Some of the higher end ones have USB connectivity so that you can record directly to your computer and use Digitech's software to edit patches.

The best advice I can give you is to try out a bunch of this stuff and buy what sounds good to you.

tung

t_ross33
January 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hey PBP. Gonna weigh in with my .02 and from my experience. The RP line all have onboard tuners, though I've found my trusty ol' KORG chromatic to be way more accurate. All have pretty cool amp model sounds, but they seem to jive better with nice clean solid state amps than with tubes. You can turn off the amp sim and just use the plethora of effects and build cool patches. In addition they usually have features like drum tracks and headphone/line out jacks that make noodling at home a breeze.

Reverbs and delays are quite usable, some of the more complex modulation effects are a bit fizzy, but still lots of fun. If your amp has and effects loop, run the RP into the Effects Return which in effect (no pun intended) turns the pedal into a preamp since it has now bypassed the preamp stage of your amph.

I graduated to the GNX3000, a (very) big brother of the RP line, and I love it. I run it into the Power Amp In on the back of my Peavey Bandit, and it sounds GREAT! I get very good sims from Fenders to Marshalls etc. For live aps I have the choice of running the XLR out direct to the PA and leaving my amp at home, or running my amp parallel for stage monitoring when needed - very handy.

All that said, pedals will RAWK pushing your tube amps. I've kept mine for when I finally pull the trigger on a tube amp :poke: sigh

If you are just beginning your electric journey, GMP's are a lot of fun and if you take your time to learn how to build patches, they will help you suss out the kind of sounds you like WRT amps and pedals so you will have a better idea what you are going for before dropping big bucks on the "real deal". Are they a direct substitution for the real thing - of course not, but they have their place.

Trev

oldguy
January 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM

Wow!, That's a lot of questions in one post! You're dealing mainly in blues and slide...... get the pedals.
Pedals= set it, stomp it.
GMP's= tweak, tweak, tweak, preset,preset,preset.

For slide/blues, you won't need tons of presets, at least not in the learning stage.
I'd be happy w/ a delay, reverb, overdrive, chorus, EQ, and tuner. Ya, you can buy one pedal that does it all, but learning how to use each one will be easier w/ individual pedals, and you will adjust to the learning curve better, IMO.
I own a Digitech RP-250, and it's a good pedal. However......
If you're new to effects, and how they color your sound.... buy pedals one at a time, and learn how to use them to your advantage.
FWIW, I rarely use more than amp/w/reverb+delay(around 500-850ms.)+OD for any blues, occasionally a bit of chorus. That's the sound I like for BASIC blues.
Anybody else......... chime in... just my opinions.

markb
January 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
I'd advise an amp with spring reverb and an analog OD pedal. The Digitech Clapton Crossroads pedal is a modelling processor. A processor might be useful later for deciding on what effects to buy, I wouldn't consider one for use with an amp in any live situation.

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
As a newb that added all the pedals I own in the last year, plus the a multi effect unit (Korg) I can say that my stomp boxes are easier for me to play around with and understand than the multi effect. May be just the way I am. The list OG gives seems like a really good start, and you can get really good condition used ones for pretty cheap.

birv2
January 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
GMP's are good for easily playing with various combinations of effects, amps, etc. and can help you define YOUR sound. But I think if you're into blues, you would be happier with a real tube amp.

I bought a Behringer Vampire and really enjoyed it. Then one night at a jam, I plugged into someone's Fender (a Vibrolux, I think), heard that clean fender tone and knew that's what I wanted. And I just couldn't get it from the Vampire.

Long story short, I just bought a pro junior and I'm loving it. I play almost all blues, and there really isn't a substitute for "the real thing". I'm not anti-modelling, but trust your ears.

My .02,
Bob

mrmudcat
January 4th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Get some classics ,T.S.,boss blues driver,analog delay,and a reverb if amp has none.Old guy nailed it pretty much! And you know how this old fart feels about digital modeling anything!!!:puke: :whatever: :munch:

mrmudcat
January 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
That being said I will be buying the g-major as ive heard and played one and its awesome.Lots of people love these and ive heard nothing but praise!!! You do need an amp with an effects loop to run it/hook it up like a pedal in the effects chain.Of course you can set it up rack mount style also with preamp ,power amp.Sorry about going off subject!!:poke:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-G-Major-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=153002