PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Netscape

Robert
January 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Netscape, the Web browser that opened up not only the Web, but the entire Internet to mass use, is dead.

Announcement here http://blog.netscape.com/2007/12/28/end-of-support-for-netscape-web-browsers/

I will never forget Netscape 3 and 4. I spent many hours back in the dark middle ages of the Internet, trying to make websites look the same in all browsers. Back then, Netscape was King. Now, it's game over.

Hail Netscape, we will remember you! :pancake:

I can also add in regards to Firefox, the logical heir, "we will remember the face of your father", as they say in Gilead.

just strum
January 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM
You really do have to get some sleep.:)

marnold
January 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Netscape suite development has been taken over by the Seamonkey project (http://www.seamonkey-project.org/). Seamonkey was the internal codename for the Netscape suite for a long time. Since it and Firefox live on, I guess we can say "Netscape is dead; long live Netscape."

Spudman
January 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
So sad. It wasn't very old. I guess only the good die young.:cry:

warren0728
January 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
good riddance...one less browser to have to design for... :messedup:

firefox rules! :AOK:

ww

Brian Krashpad
January 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
good riddance...one less browser to have to design for... :messedup:

firefox rules! :AOK:

ww

**** that. I've already got netscape on my computers and don't need to drop more memory on downloading another browser.

And internet explorer sucks. Netscape kicks it's *** just on the basis of mouse right-click options alone.

warren0728
January 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
**** that. I've already got netscape on my computers and don't need to drop more memory on downloading another browser.

And internet explorer sucks. Netscape kicks it's *** just on the basis of mouse right-click options alone.
one word for you.....firefox

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

you'll be glad you did....

ww

sunvalleylaw
January 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM
It's almost as nice as Safari. :D

Firefox is fine, I just like the look of Safari better. I use Firefox if a site has a Safari issue.

Adrian30
January 5th, 2008, 06:36 AM
+1 for Safari. :master: :master: :master:

warren0728
January 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM
safari is definitely better than it used to be.... but i still prefer firefox....

ww

marnold
January 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Safari is good if you have a Mac. I'll avoid any disparaging remarks. In Linux I sometimes also use Konqueror, which is what Safari was based on.

warren0728
January 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
i haven't used safari in a long time....i have been so happy with firefox....might try safari again now that they have done so much work on it

ww

Tone2TheBone
January 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Firefox is 'ok'.......ehhhhhh *waves hand in fluttery motion*

Give me virtual reality internet anyday. ;)

warren0728
January 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM
been using safari today and it has definitely gotten a lot better....gonna use it for a few days before i decide whether to use it or firefox as my main browser....

ww

bigoldron
January 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm a tech guy in a small school system and I love Firefox. If I didn't HAVE to have IE for certain applications, it'd be gone in a minute. It amazes me the number of sites that still code only for IE. Guess they don't care about spyware and other issues that IE brings... :whatever:

SuperSwede
January 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
+1 for Safari