PDA

View Full Version : Origional Action on their Squier '51

Bigbear
March 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
yeah... I uh... i dropped my action very low... and i'm trying to figure out what the action is on the STOCK '51 at the 12th or 17th from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string... i wanta check how much i dropped the action done, a good bit I assume.... if anyone got their squier still setup stock and has a ruler?

Mine is precisely setup, any lower than another 1/8 turn on the bridge screws and shes buzzin.

Nothing wrong with the action just i'm blueprinting the neck on the 51's
I'm well aware that not everybodys action is going to be the same, but i just wanted to check.

Spudman
March 19th, 2006, 10:55 PM
BB
How much do your saddle height adjusting screws stick out now? I lowered my action as soon as I got the guitar and have no idea what it should be so I can't help ya there.
Did you have to do some truss rod adjustment as well?

Bigbear
March 20th, 2006, 08:30 AM
well... yeah.. about 3/16 truss rod adjustment, my screws stick way out, my high E is almost bottomed out.... its exactly 4/64 action across the fretboard.

got a dozen beer one night, and spent 3 hours just raising and lowering the saddles and tuning until they were just right.

yea, i think the string action came extremely high on mine... but it wasn't a defective model or anything, i had to get it sent in because back home our only guitar merchant is a guy who hangs guitars in his old meat locker.... so i quess on the way home the action got screwed.

I'm planning on creating a duplicate of the squier '51 with quality around the likes of a MIM Standard Strat/Tele...

NOT TO MARKET... just for myself... (this was the edit: just incase theres a lawyer somewhere)

wanted setup measurements so i can get an exact idea of what i had to do to mine to correct my action and the such.

maybe with some new upgrades... like a string though body design.

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 09:10 AM
well... yeah.. about 3/16 truss rod adjustment, my screws stick way out, my high E is almost bottomed out.... its exactly 4/64 action across the fretboard.

Bigbear - Are you saying your truss rod action is 3/16 or .018 inch? I am curious on this measurement. My action is 6/64, which I think is a little high for me. My truss rod is .012 inch per the Fender spec. If I lower my action any lower, I get a lot of sting buzz across all six strings. Any suggestions?

Bigbear
March 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
3/16 is about the length of arc i had to turn with the wrench :D
apparently very few do it that way. its just my thing i suppose... yea... i record all the truss rod adjustments at the shop by arc length and length of the wrench..

Bigbear
March 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I was looking at the recording i made when i adjusted my squier '51.. 3/16" refers to the wedge installed to change the neck pitch. sorry guys. brain fart.:p