PDA

View Full Version : Graduating to new strings?

Bigbear
March 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I always heard of people... when they ask my what strings i use i say... 0.009 and they say... well... i've "graduated" to new strings... which i never really understood..

but today i was jamming an old hubert sumlin tune " killing floor" and my 0.009 broke... wasn't even hard on the strings... i play guitar everyday (always my squier thesedays), for about an hour - 2 hours... should I "Graduate to heavier strings" or just keep replacing my 0.009. Lately i've been breaking the 0.009 alot..

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Firstly, where do they break? You might have a burr on the bridge saddle.
Secondly, 10's are the recommended beginning guage for tone. They may be harder to push at first, but if you are a big guy it shouldn't take long before it feels comfortable. You'll notice an improvement in tone right away with heavier strings.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I've never broken a string in almost 30 years of playing. At least not that I can remember. I bend the crap out of them too.

I replaced the 10s on my Strat and went back to 9s again. 9s to me are my gauge. I can play with 10s or even thicker but 9s have sweet highs that I like and just feel GOOD. If you want to try a different brand of strings try DR Tite-Fits. I put a set of them on my Strat and they sound really good and feel great.

When I put them on at first I thought I wasn't going to like them because they felt like they were slipping when I bent them at the tuning posts. Once I got enough tension on them they felt slinky...loose. I put the rest on and they all felt like they were slipping too but I managed to get them on anyway. I tuned up to correct pitch and tension and so far they haven't slipped. The tone to me is solid. Nice and bright and the lower strings have a defined sound. I dunno I just think they're different and they sound and play really great. Just a thought.

Bigbear
March 20th, 2006, 10:13 AM
been playing for a a good long while now... no burrs on these saddles... polished myself, I'm starting to figure it just may be my strings... or maybe my technique is tainted.. anyways, it broke at bridge, which is first that happened... i'll break her down and examine the bridge and see if theres anything there.

marnold
March 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I read somewhere that Billy Gibbons uses .008s. I used to think it was important for me to have .010s on my guitar. All I got for it was sore fingers and less of an inclination to play my guitar.

As Spudman said, I'd check the saddle. My guess is that is the source of the breakage rather than the string itself.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah could be defective strings. I take it back I did break some acoustic strings once when putting them on! Tuning to pitch and then blink...it was a goner. Sometimes you get bad strings.

Marnold - Yeah I've heard that before too. Nelskie should know he knows all about Billy. I just prefer the feel of 9s thats all. They bounce off the fret board the way I like them too. It's just a buttery feeling. Tone wise I have a spankin' low end tone so no problem there. Different strokes I guess...I just went back to something that feels more at home for me.

duhvoodooman
March 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I used to think it was important for me to have .010s on my guitar. All I got for it was sore fingers and less of an inclination to play my guitar.
Yeah, I know--I mention SRV w-a-a-a-y-y too much. But I just finished reading an interview with his guitar tech, who said he generally used a .013 E, though he did tune down to E flat. Can you even imagine doing some of those outrageous Albert-King-on-crack bends with cable like that?? The dude must of had just incredible hand and finger strength! Plus, I'm sure many of you have read the stories about him ripping off callouses while playing and gluing them back on his fingertips with Super Glue. I guess it's not easy to be a blues legend! :eek:

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I normally break my stings while stretching them after installation. After that I never broke one either. I never wait until one brakes to change strings. When they sound like they play a terrible chord or not able to stay in tune, I change them.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Dude Stevie's hands were huge. Look at them. Skinny guy. Big hands. Crazy. Of course he was a god too though so.....

duhvoodooman
March 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Dude Stevie's hands were huge. Look at them. Skinny guy. Big hands. Crazy. Of course he was a god too though so.....
Yes, absolutely--huge, powerful hands. I wonder how much of that was genetic and how much was the fact that we was doing those outrageous bends since he was about 10 years old! Probably some of both....

SuperSwede
March 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I usually buy "custom light" sets, which are 009 to 046. I really like the Elixir strings.

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Get a set of 13-56 strings and put them on tuned down a whole step. It isn't that bad, but use a really heavy pick.

duhvoodooman
March 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Get a set of 13-56 strings and put them on tuned down a whole step. It isn't that bad, but use a really heavy pick.
Not one of those little, plastic "plectrum" things. A REAL pick--like miners use! This will give you ungodly tone!

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I ment plectrum, but manly men use the tip of a good ol' True Temper shovel for that guage.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM
This post got me thinking...not to hijack the original thread...so maybe I'll post it on another thread....

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
...so maybe I'll post it on another thread....

So Tone? Are you saying picks and strings don't mix?

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Tim - No...I posted my thought in another thread go see.

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Oh boy I'm in trouble. I can't find the egg hidden in the thread. Can you give me a hint?

Never mind I found it !!!