PDA

View Full Version : synchronisation...

andyl
January 5th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Anyone got any good exercises to help develop a better synchronisation between left and right hands??? Sounds like a stupid question, but any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

A

marnold
January 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM
First of all, welcome. Second of all, make sure to introduce yourself in the proper forum. Third of all, there really is only one solution: practice. If you are having sync problems, slow whatever you are doing down until they are in sync. Then gradually increase speed. A metronome will help.

Robert
January 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Numero Uno: Practice with a metronome (or drum groove) !!! Do it as slow as needed in order for you play it perfectly, only then should you increase the speed.

Metronomes are dead boring though, get a drum machine, backing track, or whatever else that has some fun groove.

andyl
January 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
The replies are much appreciated. I think a small drum machine would be ideal for practicing with, and hopefully overcoming my sync issues. Just got a valve junior off the gf for xmas so playing through that clean would help no end too, no gain to disguise my shortcomings Ironically I feel my first post here betrayed my single worst flaw with my playing, getting way ahead of myself due to impatience ha!

Again your replies were much appreciated and thank you for the warm welcome to the forum.

Andy

just strum
January 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Slow is the key. Try doing different scales (slow) and then increase your speed.

andyl
January 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Slow is the key. Try doing different scales (slow) and then increase your speed.

Yeah, I'm just an immensely impatient person (artistic temperament) hahahhaaa. I know you're right though, I've seen some of the videos on here, you guys KNOW how to play, so i'm willing to listen to any advice :)

Spudman
January 5th, 2008, 07:37 PM
One thing I've always done that helped me is when I'm just sitting around I turn my thigh into a drum and make beats with my hands. You'll develop full body syncopation that way. It transfers to the guitar.

andyl
January 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM
One thing I've always done that helped me is when I'm just sitting around I turn my thigh into a drum and make beats with my hands. You'll develop full body syncopation that way. It transfers to the guitar.
Does that work??? I drum surfaces nonstop, I must be broken somewhere :p I think i just need to slow down in everything i play for a few months.

player
January 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Funny Andy,you must be broken somewhere nyuk nyuk nyuk but yes it does work especially if you have and use various drum beats.4/4,3/4.etc.however The most important factor has not been mentioned.Have Fun doing what you're doing

andyl
January 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Funny Andy,you must be broken somewhere nyuk nyuk nyuk but yes it does work especially if you have and use various drum beats.4/4,3/4.etc.however The most important factor has not been mentioned.Have Fun doing what you're doing
I love playing so much, but it can just feel frustrating when you're stuck in a rut. Ya ever get that?

player
January 6th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yes Andy we all go thru ruts however if and when I do a simple scale excercise works for me.what I try to do and succeed at it is, jump off any note in a given riff/scale run then experiment using other scales going where you normally would not then try to find ways to get back to that note to continue the riff/scale.at the same time discovering other areas of interest to investigate,sort of a that sounded good let me see what I can do with it thing
try that you might like it

Spudman
January 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM
If you get stuck in a rut do a search here on the forum. We have already posted some great ideas that might help you.

andyl
January 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have to say, all the advice about geting a metronome and playing along with it has really helped. My synchronisation is alot better, I've just been endlessly running through alternating chromatics and throwing in string skipping and its helped me enormously. I'm alot faster than I was 2 weeks ago, think i'll keep up this little exercise regimen.

player
January 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I have to say, all the advice about geting a metronome and playing along with it has really helped. My synchronisation is alot better, I've just been endlessly running through alternating chromatics and throwing in string skipping and its helped me enormously. I'm alot faster than I was 2 weeks ago, think i'll keep up this little exercise regimen.

Great Andy,if you found a formula that works,do stick with it :AOK:

just strum
January 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
If you get stuck in a rut do a search here on the forum. We have already posted some great ideas that might help you.

Spuds right, there is all kinds of advise here regarding the "rut" subject. However, I will throw one quick piece of advise out - I was one of the people that started a "rut" thread and after reading all the advise and stories of other fretters own experience, I realized how it's just part of the journey. Although I can't avoid being in a rut, I no longer let it discourage me. I look at it as just another part of the learning experience and just enjoy the hell out of it.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
May the Rut be with You.

It's part of every activity on this earth & ain't worth fretting about. Keep on keeping on & let the rut take care of itself. ;)