PDA

View Full Version : Robert's Blues DVD track 1

Robert
January 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Ok, now I need your feedback, my friends.

Here is the first track that I may use for the Blues DVD. The idea here is to show how to play a Texas blues-rock kinda riff. Remember this whole DVD is for blues beginners, so there is nothing real fancy here.

I recorded this example today, using Cubase, Toneport UX1 and my Strat and SX bass.

I named it - Rocking in Texas (http://www.box.net/shared/static/r352gs1wks.mp3)

What do you think? I will then of course show how to play this thing on the DVD, and create tabs and Guitar Pro files for each track as well.

I'll continue this process with different styles of blues, and different tempos, etc. I'll cover basics of 12 bar blues, turnaround, chords, some lead licks, and rhythm playing. In the end, I'm hoping a blues beginner will find lots to learn from and have fun along the way. :rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
January 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Might be a bit much for someone who just picked up the guitar for the first time. However, knowing that you'll go into all the details, this track works well.

It's got a great groove. Even though it simple there are quite a lot of interesting things happening. Have them work seperately on the melody and the rythym & then work on putting the two together.

I'll be buying it when you are done. Can I ask a favor for those of us who don't have a computer where they play music? Make it easy to play the audio tracks on a CD player (it's enough to have the audio tracks in order in one folder on the disc so that it can be burned to a CD) and make sure that the notation & tab is printable.

Thanks Robert!! I look foward to this.

ted s
January 5th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Nicely done Robert, very clean and professional sounding !
I'm in.

Justaguyin_nc
January 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
That's the ticket Robert.. will look forward to learning it all..

Robert
January 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. My intention is that the DVD will be for beginners to blues, but it is assumed the person has some experience playing guitar, knows a few chords, etc. It's not exactly intended for a complete newbie to guitar, although, who knows, maybe it will work some of them too.

Tot, how about I add an audio CD with the DVD, along with printed tabs and notation? Makes for a bigger and more costly package, but I would assume a lot more convenient? I'd appreciate more feedback on this part too - what would you want to see, ideally, in the package when it arrives in the mail box?

tot_Ou_tard
January 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys. My intention is that the DVD will be for beginners to blues, but it is assumed the person has some experience playing guitar, knows a few chords, etc. It's not exactly intended for a complete newbie to guitar, although, who knows, maybe it will work some of them too.

Tot, how about I add an audio CD with the DVD, along with printed tabs and notation? Makes for a bigger and more costly package, but I would assume a lot more convenient? I'd appreciate more feedback on this part too - what would you want to see, ideally, in the package when it arrives in the mail box? I think that pitching it to someone with some guitar experience is a good plan.

The CD would be ideal for me, but as long as I can get to the audio files, I'll be happy.

Highway_61
January 6th, 2008, 01:46 AM

Tot, how about I add an audio CD with the DVD, along with printed tabs and notation? Makes for a bigger and more costly package, but I would assume a lot more convenient? I'd appreciate more feedback on this part too - what would you want to see, ideally, in the package when it arrives in the mail box?

I think you want to keep the price point as low as possible (it just won't be more costly for the consumer; it's going to be much more costly for you to create and ship a weightier package--and you might have to absorb that extra cost.
How about just a DVD? Couldn't it have music tracks, as well a video tracks?
And maybe you could put some downloadable music and/or podcasts on iTunes that would cost the general public spmething to download but would be free for those who purchased the DVD. (People like free stuff.)

Jimi75
January 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Perfect for beginners Robert. This is exactly what I sounded when starting to play such rhythms. Especially I like that you kind a broke down the fill. Ususally later one plays it more fluently with this and that blue note, but you demonstrate it exactly the "stiff" way a beginner hears it and plays it.

I wouldn't go any further with the level of difficulty. This track is already demanding to a beginner.

The sound of the track is superb.

Good luck my friend, may your DVD be a huge success.

Jimi

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Yep, I like it too. The idea of an extra for ordering like Highway suggests would be nice, and/or offering a slight discount if a person orders both your current DVD and the new one. I'll be ordering regardless.

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I think you want to keep the price point as low as possible (it just won't be more costly for the consumer; it's going to be much more costly for you to create and ship a weightier package--and you might have to absorb that extra cost.
How about just a DVD? Couldn't it have music tracks, as well a video tracks?
And maybe you could put some downloadable music and/or podcasts on iTunes that would cost the general public spmething to download but would be free for those who purchased the DVD. (People like free stuff.)

You should definitely keep the cost down.

Just to be clear, I don't need the audio of you explaining everything. I can watch that upstairs, just audio like you just posted of the complete track of music. Downloading it for free if you bought the DVD works too. Printable notation/TAB is a must! (could also be downloadable).

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I could put the backing tracks, Guitar Pro files, Tabs for free on my website? It would eliminate the need for audio CD and/or keeping track of who bought the DVD and is allowed to download the audio files, etc. Of course, then a person would have to go to the website and download and print out the material before they can get to work with the DVD. Maybe I should provide both options - costs less if you want to print out that material yourself, pay a little more and get it all included in the package.

Or do you think people would really pay for these simple backing tracks? I've seen other instructional guys not providing their backing tracks on their websites - instead you can order just the backing tracks for less than the "normal" package.

On the other hand, if they are free, maybe more people would buy the DVD - the backing tracks and tabs/notation are sort of advertising the DVD?

I don't know if it is possible to put PDF tab/notation files on a DVD so people can print from their computer. In this case, I think it's better to put tab/notation files for free on my website.

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM
You should definitely keep the cost down.

Just to be clear, I don't need the audio of you explaining everything. I can watch that upstairs, just audio like you just posted of the complete track of music. Downloading it for free if you bought the DVD works too. Printable notation/TAB is a must! (could also be downloadable).

You could include a key of some kind on the DVD that was purchased to allow free download of the audio backers and the PDF stuff. I don't know that you want to give too much of it away to non purchasers. It might take away from sales. Your work is worth something. You could give away one track of the lessons on Dolphinstreet as an advertisement. If you like this, here is the DVD, containing 1., 2, 3., etc.

just strum
January 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I recorded this example today, using Cubase, Toneport UX1 and my Strat and SX bass.

I named it - Rocking in Texas (http://www.box.net/shared/static/r352gs1wks.mp3)

What do you think?

It sounds an awful lot like "Texas Rock"

jasongins
January 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I agree with Sunvalleylaw on this. Purchase of the DVD would entitle the buyer to then download the tabs and the backing tracks at no additional charge, but don't give the tab and tracks away to everyone for free or else they may not buy the DVD at all. This way, you don't have to incur the cost of putting printed materials or extra discs in the DVD package. Giving away a teaser lesson is also a great idea and would probably do alot of the selling for you.

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Including a key on the DVD that one would enter would make this easy. You would then not need to track who paid and etc. Someone might get hold of the key and takes some stuff without paying, but probably not enough to worry about. If a purchaser has trouble with a key, you could have a master that you could give out by individual email. I think you want to make this easy on yourself by generally protect your work, but not create a bunch of administrative for yourself. I think that level would seem appropriate for this level of project.

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Do others want the sheet music & audio tracks like I do?

If I can't get access to them, it is a dealbreaker for me. It might not be so for others. The young'uns might just want to learn from the video & play to the video. I dunno.

I'd hate to cause alot of extra work just for my quirks.

BTW, it's not the backing tracks, but the actual song played by Robert that I am talking about. If there is backing stuff, the best is if that is panned left & the guitar is panned right so one can play to the BT, or just hear the guitar.

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Do others want the sheet music & audio tracks like I do?

If I can't get access to them, it is a dealbreaker for me. It might not be so for others. The young'uns might just want to learn from the video & play to the video. I dunno.

I'd hate to cause alot of extra work just for my quirks.

BTW, it's not the backing tracks, but the actual song played by Robert that I am talking about. If there is backing stuff, the best is if that is panned left & the guitar is panned right so one can play to the BT, or just hear the guitar.

Well, yeah. I would like that too. I am hoping that this might be an easy way to deliver those things.

mrmudcat
January 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Im liking the idea of a key so whoever buys the dvd gets the free backing tracks chord charts etc etc..Also a package for both the old and new dvd's together would interest the new comers like me who missed the first.:beer:(IMHO) Will there be split shots of the picking hand.As you know the right hand(or picking hand for lefties) technique is very important for blues. My dvd's seem to lack in depth views of what the right is doing when the left is doing its thing!! Hope this makes some sense!:thwap: My boys complain about this alot:whatever:

t_ross33
January 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Cool Rob! Puts me in a "Rude Mood" :D

I'm totally stoked about this DVD project - I can't wait to get my hands on it! Having a wee bit of experience with promotion and branding, I offer this sage advice:

Your "brand" isn't just your logo, or your website - it is the total package of who you are (someone who cares about others and likes to share your knowledge); what you are (guitar hero - to us Fretters, guitar teacher, web guru, musician, leader of this rag tag band, and of course father, husband etc.).

With that in mind, your DVD can be not only a merchandise piece, but a marketing tool as well. By making "added value" items like tabs, PDF and Guitar Pro files available for download for those who purchase a DVD, you are driving traffic to your website, reinforcing your brand, marketing other products and services your customer may wish to experience or spend their money on.

Branding doesn't have to be extravegant or costly - it just needs to be consistant and an honest representation of you :AOK: Logos are cheap. Integrity is priceless.

If you are interested, a friend of mine is an expert in the field and has spoken on this topic around the world. Her website is www.kristagreen.com (http://www.kristagreen.com). Worth checking out.

If you build it, they will come :beer:

Trev

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Well, yeah. I would like that too. I am hoping that this might be an easy way to deliver those things.
So I am not *always* out of synch with the rest of the world!!!

Robert, aren't there "enhanced DVDs" or some such thing that have material that can only be accessed via a computer, but doesn't interfere with DVD players.

The pdf & mp3 (or wav) files probably wouldn't take up much room. You can also use this as a selling point.

ENHANCED DVD with BONUS MATERIAL!!!!

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
That way would be nice too. I am not techie enough to know. Whichever is easier for Robert I say. If he did it with a key, and download, he could update or make changes and distribute more easily I suppose. I will say again, the package discount with the old DVD would be nice.

Guitar Gal
January 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Robert,

Sounds great :AOK: This is definitely something a "newbie" to blues will want to play. It is interesting and not too simple.

I also agree that you should not "give away" too much free stuff on your site because then people will not buy the DVD. I'm not sure what would be the easiest for you to do.......1) having two separate DVD packages....one with the tabs and backing tracks and one with just the DVD lessons or 2) having some sort of access code for those that purchase the DVD to access the tabs at Dolphin Street :confused:

Either way, I'm buying it :rockon:

GG

just strum
January 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I think Mudcat, Tot and Sunvalley are hitting it right on the head. The access (key) for those that purchase the DVD is commonly used by others and it is a nice feature.

A big enhancement would be the split screen that Mudcat noted. Also, I noticed that a lot of videos that show the fret hand are poor in quality and do not give a close enough view of the fret hand. A clear view helps with knowing what strings you are fretting, the clear pictures helps beginners observe the movement of the hand/fingers as they move around the fret board.

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Unfortunately, I only have one video camera. What about the way I've been doing it so far, where I show the left hand, then the right hand? Sometimes I've added a 3rd view of me playing at angle so you can see both left and right hands at the same time.

Regarding split screens - don't you find it is hard to look at both hands at the same time? I've never cared much for these split screen personally, but this DVD isn't for me so that is a moot point...

Yes, having a master key as you mention would be easy, but isn't it a pain to have to go and log in somewhere, download, print stuff, when you just bought a package? I'm afraid it might feel a bit inconvenient for some, who might want to pay and get it all in a package.

About enhanced DVD's, I'm skeptic. Even if it works, I'm sure there would be compatibility issues and I'd have to spend too much of my time trying to troubleshoot problems for customers.

ted s
January 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Robert I think the way you have been doing it so far has been great. I've never made a video DVD but it should be straight forward to include a folder of mp3 and text to access from a pc I would think.
As far as split screen goes, I only have one eye that works.. :messedup:

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
What about if I made all this material available for download? This would solve the whole DVD issue, and it would make it quicker to get the material, no hassle with mailing stuff, providing tracking numbers, etc. The drawback is you have to be bit of a "computer person", I guess. There is convenience in buying a package that comes with everything you need, and you can watch on your TV as soon as it arrives.

I could make each track/lesson available for purchase. You pay (a fairly small amount), and you are taken to a page where you can download video, audio and pdf's.

Maybe I could even provide an ISO with all lessons, so people can burn their own DVD from it. This one would of course cost a bit more.

I think I could also provide a DVD for those who really want to - maybe they don't know how to burn an ISO or don't have software for that, etc.

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Any more input guys?

I am really starting to think it is a good idea to have online downloads. Each lesson would be 15-20 minutes long, and in decent quality format and dimensions full size (720 x 480).

Another good thing is I don't have to wait until I have enough material for a DVD. As soon as I get another one done, I'll just set it up for purchase and download on my site.

just strum
January 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I like the download idea. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Jamorama, but that is a download (I believe a more expensive DVD is available). The way they have it set-up is you purchase a "life time" membership and you have access to any updates or upgrades. I've owned it for a couple of years and the package really hasn't changed much.

A person has an option of downloading on their computer or accessing it on line with a key number. I guess you could take the same approach, but offer each release indiviadaully and if you wanted, later on down the road you could offer a package deal.

I think if you go to the Jamorama website, you might be able to get an idea of what I am referring to. Jamorama is usually in the top three sellers of on-line/DVD guitar lesson packages.

M29
January 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I like being able to take a DVD downstairs when the family has infiltrated my computer lair and watch it on TV. I personally, am not that concerned with notation and tabs I usually get what I need from watching the video. Although I have needed some clarification at times maybe because of the video angle not being so good at a particular time and the tabs help with that.
If you offered this for download would I be able to copy it to a DVD and use it on my TV too? If so that would be fine.

I like the skill level like you are considering, it suites me fine where I am at.

M29

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Well, making a DVD does require a bit of computer knowledge and software. I wouldn't want to be a computer tech support guy - that can eat up a lot of time - but I could provide instructions of course. There are free programs that can burn DVDs - here is one - http://cdburnerxp.se/ (Swedish of course :AOK: )

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM
iMovie into iDVD would do it on the Mac end.

Justaguyin_nc
January 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
iMovie into iDVD would do it on the Mac end.

I think Robert uses Windows Movie maker..it also makes DVD's.. least the Vista version..

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I think Robert uses Windows Movie maker..it also makes DVD's.. least the Vista version..

I think you are right, until maybe he changes things on his new laptop. But I was referring to if he puts it up for download, and folks want to download and then burn it on to a DVD that can be viewed on their TV.

Justaguyin_nc
January 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I think you are right, until maybe he changes things on his new laptop. But I was referring to if he puts it up for download, and folks want to download and then burn it on to a DVD that can be viewed on their TV.

Umm thats something I meant to.. you can use yours on mac.. or the windows movie maker to create your own..its free with the systems..

shop4tech.com has cheap DVD's...if ya need more than one..

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ok. Shows what i know. ;-)

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
That's what I was trying to say '61 & the audio files as well.

Highway_61
January 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
That's what I was trying to say '61 & the audio files as well.

Sorry, tot Ou tard, I scrolled back, saw your post, and quickly deleted mine.

just strum
January 6th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure if this will work, but it's an example of Jamorama in its simplest form - the A chord and D chord

http://www.jamorama.com/news/wmv/Newsletter_larg.wmv

http://www.jamorama.com/nws/wmv/Newsletter2_larg.wmv

This gives you an idea of the camera views. As it gets more detailed, it will also show strum patterns and calls out the chord changes during chord progressions.

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Sorry, tot Ou tard, I scrolled back, saw your post, and quickly deleted mine.
No need to do that '61.

It looks like Robert is wanting to go the all dowloadable route anyway.