PDA

View Full Version : Stompboxes Better????

piebaldpython
January 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I'm looking at some pedals versus, say, a Digitech RP150. The stompboxes I have seen all have knobs to affect High, Lows, Gain, Level, etc. So, to me that means you can really tweak the sound and tone on them, right?
Looking at the RP 150, while one can access a specific sound (say a TS 808), I don't see any way of customizing that sound like you can with a stompbox??
Am I understanding all of this properly?
Oh, my amp search is down to one of the Palominos (5 or 15 W) or the Trademark 30. All are no frills amps as I don't need special effects (wah, chorus, flanger). Now, I have to find some time and a store to listen to these. ahhaahaha Thanks for all your help.

marnold
January 6th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm sure there is a way to tweak the models. Usually you will have at least the standard tone, gain, and level. They may even throw in extra tone controls. I don't have an RP 150, so I can't comment beyond that. My EX-7 allows you to control tone, gain, and level for all the distortion models.

Kazz
January 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM
If it is anything like the RP80 you would be able to tweak individual levels...but knowing what I know now...I would go the analog route budget allowing of course. My RP80 is a joke....there are only a handful of useful tones in it and the expression pedal is like stepping on a sponge....there just isnt any resistance like with a crybaby.

markb
January 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
They (nearly) all allow you to modify effect parameters, it's getting to the editing controls that put me off. Switch box to "edit mode", scroll to OD section, scroll to "volume parameter", make adjustment, save and exit. It's usually at that point that you realise that you need to adjust the level elsewhere in the chain to compensate for the change you've made, so you have to dive into those menus again and find the right level control, and there could be several depending on the patch, to correct it.

With the stompbox, just lean down and twist the knobs, job done.

I usually download the user manual if I'm thinking of buying something as complex as a multi effect. It usually puts me off but it gives you an idea just how the process works.

marnold
January 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
They (nearly) all allow you to modify effect parameters, it's getting to the editing controls that put me off. Switch box to "edit mode", scroll to OD section, scroll to "volume parameter", make adjustment, save and exit. It's usually at that point that you realise that you need to adjust the level elsewhere in the chain to compensate for the change you've made, so you have to dive into those menus again and find the right level control, and there could be several depending on the patch, to correct it.
That's basically why I stuck with my EX-7 instead of trading it in for an RP-something. It's cool that you can get so many different sounds from it, but the programming is a little off-putting. I sometimes wish I had a couple of presets on my EX-7, but being able to look down and see where everything is set has its advantages.

The clear advantage of multi-effect units is that you can set up everything and switch with the tap of a button. Plus, the cost savings relative to buying all those pedals individually is quite substantial.

Justaguyin_nc
January 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I'm looking at some pedals versus, say, a Digitech RP150.

It sure is a hard choice at first..
The RP series looks like a good one.. OldGuy has a RP250 I believe and he sounds excellent..

A few years ago I started into this stuff, cheapest way .. a digital mutli box and solid state amps.. I been thru a bunch of em already..

I now use stompboxes and tube amps..

Either my ears are lying..or I should have went this route in the first place.

With E-Bay it does not matter much, whatever you end up with.. you can sell it to another pretty easily.. and have enjoyed the journey..

My personal opinion on Digital Multiboxes.. your sitting there adjusting this and that so much..you hardly get to play.. and your always wondering if it sounds like the real deal..

You should have plenty of control to adjust to your hearts content though.

Stompboxes thru a tube amp is my choice..

ALTHOUGH: I do have a toneport GX connected to the computer that has some great presets..

And I fell in love with this Digitech EX7 which, I guess is a Multibox..

decisions:thwap:
it's a tough one..

Spudman
January 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I don't think of the EX7 as a multi effect pedal where I need to switch instantly from patch to patch. I think of it more like - well, I need a wah - shazam, now have a wah. Then...I want a whammy pedal - shazam, now I have a whammy. I need a rotovibe - shazam, now I have a rotovibe. I don't have to connect and reconnect a bunch of pedals that suck my tone when I do this with the EX7. I try to think only of what I want it to be at that moment. I still have my core sounds (TS9, DS1, Delay etc.) but now the EX can mimic what pedal I don't have in the line. I don't need it to be everything. It's just a stomp box.

That said, like Justa in the long run I've been most happy with tubes and pedals. The multis are good for ideas and rehearsals, but I've never been comfortable with them live.

mrmudcat
January 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Im on the bandwagon being preached tubes and pedals!! (ibez T.S.,delay,DS1,......I do like the TC Electronic G-Major and will be getting one to play with but is more for my boys:beer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-G-Major-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=153002

Spudman
January 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The main problem with the TC Electronic G-Major is that it doesn't take out the trash. Sure it does everything else on the planet, but come on we're talking just one little thing here. :D

Oh, and I suppose you need a midi foot board to control it?:confused:

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
For my present needs pedals work the best. I don't use a lot of effects & I really get put off by menu diving. I get a coupl'a good pedals each year & it suits me just fine.

If I was using flangers, & vibes, & delays, & 'verbs, & such...then maybe it'd be time to think about a multieffects pedal. As it is, I just use a comp now & then, some low gain ODs (which I stack for more interesting tones), & a clean boost. I'm set for now. In fact, I don't ever use the onboard effects of the AD30VT.

Hmmmmm...I probably should go & play with them again.

Big K
January 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Received an RP-250 for Christmas and spent some time tweaking & re-naming the presets yesterday using their Xedit software... out of the box most of the factory pre-sets are a little harsh but once the unit is dialed in, the variety of usable tones are very good running it thru my Valve Jr...plus being able to record thru the USB port is a plus...The ability to set the order of the models (tones) makes it a very versatile unit, I believe when its all said and done this multi will get more use than my AD30VT...

oldguy
January 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I like my RP-250 for recording via USB, the built in drummer is handy and helps with my timing, and the tuner isn't too shabby. I've tweaked presets, and I've downloaded some from their website. It can get some great modeled sounds through my amphs, too.
I'd still say pedals are the best way to go starting out, because the knob twisting is kept to a minimum, you learn what each effect does, and it's usually easier to keep your overall volume through your amph normalized as you add/subtract effects.
Less time tweaking parameters = more time playing, IMHO...:whatever:

LowEndWonder
January 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
As a bass player I like analog peds better. Digitals seem to work on guitars but on bass they rob it of it's warmth, and make it sound artificial. Besides, I don't need 60 patches anyway. My pedals consist of a Harke Bass Attack, BBE Sonic Maximizer,
Boss CE-20 Chourus Ensemble {Twin Pedal}, Boss OD-3 overdrive, Boss Bass EQ, and a Radial Pro Passive D.I. when I use all my effects for gigs. In church, I just use the EQ, Hartke, and BBE.