PDA

View Full Version : Changing strings

Robert
March 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
So tell me, how often do you change strings?

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Electrics, about once every other month whether they need to be changed or not. I like bouncy strings and they're cheap so they get changed. Of course I just tried a set of new DRs so they're supposed to last longah.

Acoustic is different now that I have the Elixirs. They really do last longer. Probably won't need to change those until the fall or something.

Robert
March 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Anyone buy bulk - if so - where do you buy them?

I change my strings every 3-4 months at the most. I am terrible.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Is 3 to 4 months too long of a time for you? Is that what you mean by terrible? If so then YEAH YOU'RE TERRIBLE! hahahaha ;)

warren0728
March 20th, 2006, 11:52 AM
i change the strings on my electrics every 2-3 months...they don't get a lot of use.

I want to put new strings on my new acoustic...have heard about the elixers....are they reallly that much better?

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Warren - yes...believe the hype. They sound and feel brand new. I have dry hands and I don't wipe the strings with a rag like some people do. If you have sweaty hands then they might not last as long? Who knows. All I know is that this set plays like I just put them on last night. My other brand would need changing by now so yes they do work.

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Robert
I've been buying bulk for about 20 years. I won't go any other way now if I don't absolutely have to. The straight strings are more consistently good. I've been getting mine from Musicians Friend. I have a special code to order 10-46 gauge. Let me know if that is your gauge if you want the code. Otherwise you can contact their customer service for the code for other gauge sets. I pay around $2.70 per set US.

Robert
March 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I use 9s, because of some tendonitis thing in my pinky. Any heavier and I'm whining all night.

What brand is it you get then, Spuddie?

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
They are the MF house brand Rogue. Made by Martin most of the time. I'm sure they are also supplied by other major manufactures as well. They are 12 strings per guage/straight pack. They have codes for pre made sets. What are the guages you use and I'll see if I can't find a code for you?

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Robert - A guitar player that whines? I did not think the word “whine” even existed in a guitar player’s vocabulary. Unless you are mistaken with the word “wine”, which one drinks before, during and after playing the guitar?

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I'd prefer to be "wining" all night myself. hick!

Robert
March 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
haha... Hey Tim - I do both!

ray82609
March 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM
i change the strings on my electrics every 2-3 months...they don't get a lot of use.

I want to put new strings on my new acoustic...have heard about the elixers....are they reallly that much better?

ww

The elixers are amazing strings. They feel lubricated and don't squeak much and are a joy to play. They last me five times longer than regular strings. All that said, thay are steel wound and just too bright for my main axe. I use Ernie Ball Rock and Roll pure nickel wound strings on that. Fender 150's are fine too, but the consistency seems maybe better with the Ernie Balls.
-Ray