PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod/tone Driver Stompers

piebaldpython
January 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
If you look at the Digitech website for the Tone Driver and Hot Rod stompboxes;
http://www.digitech.com/products/xseriesflash/HotRod.html
http://www.digitech.com/products/xseriesflash/ToneDriver.html

Ok, and if you download the Demo for each, it shows 4 different "settings". But, the knob showing "X-Series Morph" seems to have a lot of parameters to it, so I'm wondering just how many "majorly" different sounds do you get?
Any of you happen to know off-hand who have experience with these types boxes. I would imagine similar pararmeters would apply to the Bad Monkey and Screamin' Blues boxes too???

Spudman
January 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Only with the pedals with the morph can you get a variety of sounds. The Bad Monkey and Blues don't have a morph.

What happens is when you have the morph knob set correctly to get the pedal described for that setting, and then you move it towards the next setting, you'll get some combination sounds of the two pedals. It isn't notched so that you go from only one pedal emulation to the next. So they are quite versatile in that regard. It is a continual blend of the two until you land on the main position for a specific pedal emulation.

I have the Tone Driver and actually prefer the sounds that I get from the in between positions more than strictly the emulated pedal settings. Think of it as a fine tuner.

piebaldpython
January 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=Spudman]Only with the pedals with the morph can you get a variety of sounds. The Bad Monkey and Blues don't have a morph.

HMMMM.........BUT WOULDN'T THE BAD MONKEY/SCREAMIN' BLUES BOXES HAVE A LOT MORE TONAL VARIETY THAN WHAT IS SHOWN IN THE 4 DEMSOS PER BOX??? JUST LOOKING AT THE DIALS AND HOW THEY CHANGE BETWEEN "SETTINGS", IT SEEMS LIKE THE WHOLE LEFT SIDE (6-12) IS HARDLY USED!!! JUST WONDRIN'. THANKS.

Spudman
January 8th, 2008, 09:38 PM
They are only showing you the 4 distinct pedals and setting and sounds for those individual pedals in the demos. However, there are lot of sounds as you morph from one pedal emulation to the next. As you morph you get varying degrees of each pedal emulation. So in that sense it is more variable than a Monkey.

The tone controls on the Monkey allow more control of each tone(eq) than you'll get with Driver, but with the Monkey you get only 1 pedal sound. With the Driver and the morph you get many pedal sounds.