PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable Videos+PDF or real DVD?

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Sorry to keep bringing this up, I know you have more important things to discuss, but... :poke:

Was wondering what the consensus is here - for my new Blues Guitar instructional material for blues newbies - would you prefer to buy lesson by lesson and download them from my site, including PDFs and backing tracks?

Or would you prefer to get the whole enchilada sent home to you on a DVD? Perhaps with PDFs and audio files on the DVD or else downloadable from my website.

I think downloadable videos + pdfs + audio is a lot easier for me, and more cost-effective.

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I didn't vote because what I want might not be what is best for you (I'd prefer the whole enchilada).

I do have one question about video quality. Sometimes, on your videos (as well as others) it is difficult to see the details of the hand moving. This blurring is natural because streaming video is of poor quality.

Would the DVD have a higher quality resolution? It would also allow one to zoom, do various levels of slow motion, etc.

On the other hand, you could put up a couple of lessons in the pay to download format & just see what the response is. If it is significantly cheaper to go the download route, then that probably works out the best for you & your "students".

One final question. Will there still be free material at your site? If so, how will the new lessons be distinguished from the material on Dolphinstreet? If not, do you expect any expression of frustration from Dolphinstreet regulars?

Radioboy950
January 6th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Robert, I think pay-as-you-go, lesson-by-lesson downloads certainly offer the most flexibility for you AND for fellow fretters. But I, personally, would probably be more inclined to pay only once and buy a DVD that contained a complete series of lessons and the accompanying backing track audio files.
Voted accordingly.

Waiter, I'll have the enchilada...and a round of Dos Equis for my friends:beer:

just strum
January 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I do have one question about video quality. Sometimes, on your videos (as well as others) it is difficult to see the details of the hand moving. This blurring is natural because streaming video is of poor quality.

I think this is a very KEY point. I mentioned this in the other thread and I think it will go a long way if you have very clear, easy to see views of the fret hand - no "youtube" quality video or there is no sense in paying for the video when it can be had for free.

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Oh yes, the video quality will of excellent quality. The videos on my site are streaming and not of very good quality. The downloadable videos would not be streaming - it would be a big .mov of .mpg file of probably 50-80 Megabyte. That may be another drawback - it would take a while to download on a slow connection.

Tot, don't worry about me! I want to hear what YOU guys think! What is best for my customers is what is best for me... ;)

About the free videos, well I haven't really thought about that. I may do one free lesson once in a while, and then a few for download, then one free, and so on.

Frustration from my regulars? Hmm, never thought about it. I will not take down what is there, so there will still be all those 60+ lessons on there, plus I could add maybe every 5th to the free section.

This is just thinking out loud.

I've done a lot of work on my lessons, and I'm at the point where I'd like to see some revenue come in so I can continue feeding my GAS diagnosis.

Justaguyin_nc
January 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I must say the whole thing on DVD with good-better than youtube quality.
I must be honest.. there is a ton of stuff to download..
I got cd's full of em..
But if you come out with a full dvd of lessons ..
which I can pick through to see which I want to learn..
I would get one..

Riff interactive does nice cd's if a dvd is a problem and they hold about 5 lessons..thought out and laid out pretty good.. the backings, videos, tabs and notes..plus performances.. I mention this as maybe something for you to view to see how the tutorial cd looks.. for better ideas..

I can download things all day long or watch youtube..
I would want the whole Robert Renman experience on a dvd..
and at a fair price.. (remember we are a cheap forum) :)

tot_Ou_tard
January 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Frustration from my regulars? Hmm, never thought about it. I will not take down what is there, so there will still be all those 60+ lessons on there, plus I could add maybe every 5th to the free section.

This is just thinking out loud.

I've done a lot of work on my lessons, and I'm at the point where I'd like to see some revenue come in so I can continue feeding my GAS diagnosis.

Now that you have made clear that the video quality will be much better, I don't that the Dolphinheads will have any problem with paying to get a richer Robert experience.

You deserve some revenue. Here's hoping that it works out well!!

marnold
January 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
The biggest PITA is going to be with support. Coming up with the lessons, recording them, etc., will be the easy part. DVDs require more overhead. If you burn your own, there will inevitably be compatibility issues, etc. On the plus side, DVD players in living rooms and computers are nearly ubiquitous.

If you go with downloads, you will need to choose a relatively open codec such as mpeg so that there's no Windows lock-in. It would also eliminate the people who don't have broadband. The plus side is that you wouldn't have to deal with shipping issues.

It would seem to me to be simplest to go with downloads. You could offer a more highly compressed or smaller version for those with smaller pipes.

If you went with a DVD you could also put the audio files and PDFs on the disc so those with a DVD drive in their computer could access them. That's how Metal Method's updated course works.

andyl
January 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
personally the dvd et al would appeal more to me. I like the idea of a succinct tutorial for blues (in this instance) in a neat package. That as i said is my preference, each to their own, and i can imagine there would be a multitude of others who would prefer the online interactive experience. Could it be available in both formats,as in have an online bundle (as opposed to lesson by lesson) where downloads and pdf's are accessible to paying customers?

Robert
January 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, both could be available, I guess. I'd likely burn my own discs, depending on how many requests I get.

The download would not be interactive though. It would not play on my website - instead you would download a zip file which contains a high quality video as well as PDF file and audio track in mp3 format.

ted s
January 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I like the roll your own approach, but maybe some fretters without a broadband connection would have a tough time.

andyl
January 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM
in that case i'd say just do the overall d/l :) I mean when it comes down to it, if someone wants to watch the tutorial dvd in their sitting room or wherever then they can burn the videos onto discs themselves. Maybe in the bundle include a free installer for a dvd encoder program? just a suggestion.

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Shoot, I'd do either. Whatever you decide. I kinda like the DVD with the link, just because I got used to that idea I guess, and am interested in the full, neat package, as Justa was saying. But if I need to download it, that's ok too. I think if it is a download piecemeal deal, there should be incentivised pricing if you buy it all at once, and more incentive if you buy the download of the old one too.

Jimi75
January 7th, 2008, 06:08 AM
There are pros and contras like always. I prefer to have something in my hand - in this case a DVD with a nice cover and some accompannying material. That's the way I love it, but what does this mean for the seller? Pressing/burning DVDs, printing covers, storing the DVDs, find channels to sell the DVDs, being available for upcoming questions, delivering the DVDs - means organizing daily walks to the post office and ad filling in customs docusments for foreign coutnry exports and so on and so on. Keep this in mind, from the first DVD you sell you start a business with "real" customers. Her I see the pros deifinitely on the customer's side.

Providing downloads is a thing that still is strange to me. Most people treat their downloaded stuff like "sh**". You downloaded it and then it dusts somewhere among the 200 other cds you have already downloaded. That is a reason why I do not download music or movies. I rather buy something for real. Downloading against payment is also something that I do not really trust in.

Robert, this is just my view and opinion and I am an old fashioned blues fan and guitar player who's tablature books look used and are full of side notes. I work with my material and squeeze the last out of it. I have never done so with tablature I have on my PC.

Further to that, if you really want to make a name and step into this "world" it is better to have a product in form of a DVD.

Guitar Gal
January 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Bottom line is to do whatever YOU want to do Robert to give you the maximum return on your time. Everyone will have their own opinion of what is best for them personally.......and there is no definite better way to do it. Even the poll you created is pretty evenly divided.

Robert, you are the one who has to put everything together and only you know the amount of time you invest in this verses the return on that investment. Whatever you decide, people will adapt and accept it.....or not.....rock on :rockon:

GG

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Jimi's reply is why I was wanting the DVD. But as GG says, you will need to determine what level project you want this to be. I voted DVD, but either way, I'm in.