PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Envoy 110 Transtube Tech

piebaldpython
January 7th, 2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Envoy-110-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481333

Any of you familiar with "transtube" technology or how these amps sound?? On the face, it sounds like a straight ahead amp where you can modify your sound but no extraneous bells and whistles (read--effects that you'll never use). ahahhahah

marnold
January 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM
TransTube has nothing to do with the effects. It is Peavey's marketing term for their attempts to make a solid state amp sound like a tube amp. Depending on who you talk to, they have had varying levels of success.

Spudman
January 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I like the transtube amps. The Bandit kicks butt.

mrmudcat
January 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
what happened to crates and or tech21?? I wouldnt buy that over choices you were working with.I would not buy it period though most likely.You can do so much better at $200. I had a bandit for the boys first kiddie amp but that was so long ago.This is much better:beer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481661

piebaldpython
January 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hey Mudman....ahahahha....somebody mentioned the transtube to me over the weekend and I though I'd check it out. Thanks for the ValveKing Royal 8 idea. My HEART is telling me either one of the Palominos (5 or 15W) or the Tech 21 Trademark 30. I'm going to check out a Kustom HV-30 too as they have rave reviews too.
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Kustom/hv30/10/1

I guess it was just a thing that was in my GAS mind, I had to sort out the pretenders and go a check out the contenders!!!

mrmudcat
January 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Well I like the tech 21 if I was going to recomend a non tube.The crate under $300 has been calling my name but im chanting "nana nana booboo I cant hear you" while sticking my fingers in my ear:poke:(Its working so far:bravo:)

Things I dig on the tech21:Accutronics 3-spring reverb
3-band, active tone controls, boost or cut 12dB
Effect loop
Headphone output doubles as a 1/4" direct out
Speaker extension output

Kazz
January 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
The bandit 112 was a really cool amp....I really loved the vintage settings on it.....but compared side to side with my Classic 30...tube wins every time.

On a budget the transtube would be ok tho

markb
January 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Well I like the tech 21 if I was going to recomend a non tube.The crate under $300 has been calling my name but im chanting "nana nana booboo I cant hear you" while sticking my fingers in my ear:poke:(Its working so far:bravo:)

Things I dig on the tech21:Accutronics 3-spring reverb
3-band, active tone controls, boost or cut 12dB
Effect loop
Headphone output doubles as a 1/4" direct out
Speaker extension output

And on the 60 watt TM60 a built in speaker emulated XLR di with a ground lift. I've used this live many times and darned if I can tell the difference from shoving an SM57 up against the grille. One less thing to trip over on stage. Add to that the remotely switched effects loop and you have a very neat package. I connect a Danelectro Tuna Melt to the loop, use the amp's OD channel and have a package that requires one cable to the guitar, one to the very neat metal footswitch (any cable, coax or speaker) and a pair of short leads on the loop. It's a single trip from the car to the stage and it sounds good even at practice volumes. Many people have peered into the back of this amp looking for the valves :)

I've had a lot of good use out of this amp and the only problem ever was a blown fuse due to a power surge. Highly recommended. I'd take the TM60 over the 10 or the 30 any day.

Sblack
January 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
+1, Spud!:AOK:

I actually have a Bandit III on its way to me. I should get it on Thursday. I have owned Bandits since the early 90's (65, Transtube, Bandit II). They are unique amps that sound fantastic clean or distorted. Hopefully my new Bandit will continue in the fine transtube tradition. :dude:

piebaldpython
January 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
During lunch I went to a music store and lo and behold the dude said the best he had was a Fender Pro Jr for $295.00 and a USED Fender Blues Jr for $250.00. The Blues Jr looked in really good shape, sounded strong and good BUT I don't know squat about amps, let alone USED ones, so I passed on it.
MarkB, dude, thanks for the Trademark 60 info even though it's way to much $$$'s for what I want. I am leaning towards the Trademark 30 but I want to test out the Palomino 15w though. UGH!! ahahhhaha

markb
January 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Uh, yeah. sorry to have raved on a bit. The TM30 is a great sounding amp for practice and recording. The TM60 gets you out of the house :).
Most guitar amps are pretty robust creatures, don't be afraid of used gear. FWIW, I gigged a Pro Junior for a while when I was going through a Les Paul phase, it really felt like a pocket Marshall, I used a TS5 for boost. With that rig I didn't even need the car, I could take the bus and have a few beers after the show :) .

Spudman
January 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
If I were you I'd go back and get the Fender Blues Jr. That is a pretty good price I think if it's in good shape.

mrmudcat
January 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
yea a new blues jr =$450(where are ya located id buy that @$250) new pro=$340 new:beer:

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Uh, yeah. sorry to have raved on a bit. The TM30 is a great sounding amp for practice and recording. The TM60 gets you out of the house :).
Most guitar amps are pretty robust creatures, don't be afraid of used gear. FWIW, I gigged a Pro Junior for a while when I was going through a Les Paul phase, it really felt like a pocket Marshall, I used a TS5 for boost. With that rig I didn't even need the car, I could take the bus and have a few beers after the show :) .

The Trademark 30 sounds so much better to much ears due to the built-in sansamp. Its so much more versatile than its bigger brothers IMHO.
Nothing bad about the TM60 though, its still a really good sounding amp!

birv2
January 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I had an Envoy 110 and gave it to my son. It had some interesting settings and did have a quasi-tube sound. No replacement for the real thing, but it was a pretty nice sounding amp.

Bob

Radioboy950
January 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I also think these are darn good amps. I bought something similar about 17 years ago and it's still going strong, the Studio Pro 112. Clean sounds are great, OD channel is a little tricky. I had the best luck with a low to moderate gain setting + Tube Screamer.