PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Les Paul copies

Robert
January 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Rondo has these Douglas Les Paul copies - see http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss2.html

Anyone know anything about them?

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/shadowcsb1.jpg

$109.95

Brian Krashpad
January 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Don't have any direct experience with 'em, but here's what I'd say: MIC bolt-neck, no doubt ceramic magnet HBs, probably comparable to the Epi LP Special II. No mahogany body or neck, no maple cap, just an alder body with maple neck.

I wouldn't go there if you're looking to replicate an LP at all. With an alder body and bolt-neck it'd probably sound more like a double fat Strat (rosewood board) than an LP.

As you may already know Kurt at Rondo is a good guy, however. But if I was gonna get an LP knockoff I'd want a setneck and mahogany body at a minimum. Unfortunately at Rondo that puts you at almost double the Douglas, up to a MIK Agile.

duhvoodooman
January 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
....But if I was gonna get an LP knockoff I'd want a setneck and mahogany body at a minimum. Unfortunately at Rondo that puts you at almost double the Douglas, up to a MIK Agile.
Then again, compared to $2,300 for a Gibson LP Standard, even the more expensive Agile models look like a steal....

markb
January 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I played a couple of "les pauls" with surprisingly similar headstocks the other day. They were branded "GTR Custom" and the shop, Guitarium in Wellington imports them direct. Not bad but not LPs in anything but approximate shape. They did have a P90 loaded special type that had a certain brash charm though.

oldguy
January 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I don't know anything about them, Robert, but I'd agree saving for a higher-end Agile would be a wiser investment in the long run.

Robert
January 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Well, I never said I was intending to buy one! :) Just interesting to know more about them in case someone asks.

oldguy
January 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Well, I never said I was intending to buy one! :) Just interesting to know more about them in case someone asks.

You want me to buy one and make another "popping noisy" video?:D :D :D
I don't have a real LP to compare it to, tho........:thwap: :thwap:

Jimi75
January 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM
We already had a thread about the best Les Paul copies for very low money.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Great guitars. They have a distributor in the USA ans maybe in Canada, too.

Robert, although you are absolutely not interested in buying one :bravo: , go and check one out. If I hadn't a beautiful Les Paul, I would have come home with one or maybe two of these.

VSTAR
January 10th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I just got one of these from Rondo , what a cool guitar for the money. I took it down to my friends music shop and all he did was stare with his mouth open. We compare it better than the Epi. If you want a Gibson LP buy one nothing will satisfy you if that is what you want. This guitar cooks the humbuckers are not too hot just right for me. I had Gibson LP double cutaway a few years ago and actually the Douglas plays just as well and sounds good. Myself and three other guitar players looked this guy over and all of us gave it a thumbs up . 109.00 buys a lot of guitar from Douglas.