PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been this tired?

Robert
January 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
See why I love running? Just so I can say I worked hard... :whatever:

I can honestly say I've never been as tired as this guy looks.

LlYwMEax7iU

Spudman
January 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Ya. I have. Electrolytes and Cheetos worked for me. It's a bizarre feeling to get that way, but you know you'll recover.

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Yah, I have been too. After the Seattle Marathon, and after several epic level and length mountain bike rides. Combination of powerbar/luna/cliff bars, snack chips and good old barley/hop flavored replenishment, along with straight water, does the trick for me.

duhvoodooman
January 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I neither run marathons nor compete in mountain bike racing. I do occasionally mow my lawn on a hot day, though. But because you just CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL, I have been taking in plenty of what SVL referes to as "good old barley/hop flavored replenishment". And now it turns out that it's vital to recovery from extreme fatigue!! Who knew?!? :beer:

Brian Krashpad
January 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I neither run marathons nor compete in mountain bike racing. I do occasionally mow my lawn on a hot day, though. But because you just CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL, I have been taking in plenty of what SVL referes to as "good old barley/hop flavored replenishment". And now it turns out that it's vital to recovery from extreme fatigue!! Who knew?!? :beer:

You are not alone in this.

In fact I mowed my front lawn just yesterday.

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Australian athletes have sworn my this formula for years. :beer:

Robert
January 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, what were thinking, shoving that guy into an ambulance - just give him a pilsner, for crying out loud! :beer:

duhvoodooman
January 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM
You are not alone in this.

In fact I mowed my front lawn just yesterday.
Well, Brian, I certainly hope that you imbibed some of this life-preserving golden elixir when you finished!

My lawn is under a foot or more of snow right now, but I'm still keeping up with this healthful regimen on a daily basis. It's important to maintain a routine....

sunvalleylaw
January 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, what were thinking, shoving that guy into an ambulance - just give him a pilsner, for crying out loud! :beer:

My one and only marathon in Seattle, '93 (I preferred 1/2s after that), we trained in beautiful fall weather, dry and nice, wearing shorts, etc. On race day in late November, it snowed, requiring that we wore poly tights, hat, gloves, etc. At the end of the race, I was exhausted, and I think hypothermic. I was placed in front of a construction heater, which belched fumes and smoke at me occasionally, in an underground parking garage, near the University of Washington campus. I was given fluids and bananas, bars or something, and a mylar foil blanket. Barley pops came later. ;-)

robert43
January 8th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Does any 1 rember in the Olympics about 16 years ago a male person ( I think was Greek?) crawling across the finish line in the Marthon?.
What the press didnt let on is the guy had massive organ failured etc due to not enougth water etc & died about a week latter
So the moral of the story when your body tells you to stop & replenish etc do so& live to enjoy your self the next day

abraxas
January 8th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Does any 1 rember in the Olympics about 16 years ago a male person ( I think was Greek?) crawling across the finish line in the Marthon?.
What the press didnt let on is the guy had massive organ failured etc due to not enougth water etc & died about a week latter

Can you provide some more info, or is it something "someone heard from somebody else".

I'm almost 100% sure that he WASN'T Greek, in any case.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
So the moral of the story when your body tells you to stop & replenish etc do so& live to enjoy your self the next day

I remember the act, but do not remember which Olympics or who/what country it was. I have always admired those that finish the race without glory, but finish anyhow.

pie_man_25
January 8th, 2008, 06:44 PM
See why I love running? Just so I can say I worked hard... :whatever:

I can honestly say I've never been as tired as this guy looks.

LlYwMEax7iU

yes I have, It was in october, at a show I got in twelve moshpits, headbanged for five hours, five circle pits and a wall of death, by the end of it all I was exhausted, sweaty, and starving because by the end of it I hadn't had any food for about twelve hours.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
As close as I came to that is the first time I took a lengthy ride on my bike. It was about 70 miles, short stops to fill water bottles and it was 96 degrees F and humidity to match. When I got off the bike, my legs collapsed/buckled. I remember laying at the front door of my apartment building for a good amount of time and then carrying my bike up to the third floor. I took a shower, but kept sweating, took another and another - after the third or fourth shower I finally started cooling down.

Still that was nothing compared to what this guy went through.

robert43
January 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Can you provide some more info, or is it something "someone heard from somebody else".

I'm almost 100% sure that he WASN'T Greek, in any case.

I have lost the infomation I had about 1 year ago you are right he wasnt Greek I forget what Nationatly he was he staggered across the line.In the town I live in Spring every year we have the city to lake about 15 km (11 mile) about 18 years ago there was a 25 year old that ingored the signs & didnt rehrate etc I know for a fact that he lost both legs due to latice acid when he stopped (colapsed & taken to hospital etc ).

abraxas
January 9th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I have lost the infomation I had about 1 year ago you are right he wasnt Greek I forget what Nationatly he was he staggered across the line.In the town I live in Spring every year we have the city to lake about 15 km (11 mile) about 18 years ago there was a 25 year old that ingored the signs & didnt rehrate etc I know for a fact that he lost both legs due to latice acid when he stopped (colapsed & taken to hospital etc ).

That's horrible...

I know of one incident in the Round of Athens event (an annual open long distance event), where a 50+ y.o. man finally collapsed and eventually lost the battle a few hours later. This happened about 3 or 4 years ago.

Robert
January 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Just to clarify, the risk for a runner who is healthy to actually die when out running is almost nil. When a death happens, which is very, very rare, it is usually because of an underlying heart problem or similar - they could die pulling weeds in the garden just as well.

Please don't think that running events will kill you. It is very much the opposite. The exercise runners do actually saves and/or prolongs many lives, because of the health benefits from this type of exercise.

Spudman
January 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM
This brings up Jim Fixx. Champion marathon runner. From Wiki:

Fixx died at the age of 52 of a massive heart attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myocardial_infarction), after his daily run, on Route 15 in Hardwick, Vermont (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwick%2C_Vermont). The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atherosclerosis) had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 50%. Many who opposed his beliefs said this was proof running was harmful. However, Fixx came from a family where the men had poor health histories. His father suffered a heart attack at the age of 35 and died of one at 42. Given Fixx's unhealthy lifestyle until he took up running, many argued that running added many years to his life.

abraxas
January 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Please don't think that running events will kill you. It is very much the opposite. The exercise runners do actually saves and/or prolongs many lives, because of the health benefits from this type of exercise.

Of course! God forbid! ANY kind of exercise in our era of couch potatoes is highly beneficial!

I've only a small remark here: few know that, actually, resistance training (i.e. weight training) is highly helpful in maintaining the heart in proper working order too. The reason being, weight training, esp. with heavy weights, makes the heart walls thicker and more elastic at the same time, in effect, it trains the muscle itself.

In my view, the perfect training workout would be one combining strength, flexibility and endurance training. This is exactly the "natural" way people were "training" when they used to live a more normal outdoors life. My grandparents used to wake up early, walk long distances, lift heavy objects, hunt for hours, work the fields and do all essential daily labors, day in, day out. They were lean and strong in their youth and beyond, survived a couple of world wars, raised several children and died at a very old age.

What we try to do is simulate the effect of this kind of lifestyle going to the gym or exercising outdoors. Nutrition is an important parameter also.

This also reminds me of my years of martial arts training. We were doing "internal styles" where there is not much physical training involved; no weight lifting or such things. They are not in the curriculum, so to speak. The "secret" was, of course, that the ancient monks that developed Tai Chi or Ba Gua, used to "workout" for 12 hours a day, doing chores for the monastery! No wonder they didn't need more "artificial" exercising. But we do.

Sorry if this got too long, just trying to state the obvious I'm afraid.

Robert
January 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Yep, any kind of exercise is great for your health. Better than none.

That is why we should head-bang really hard any time we practice our instruments. The Chuck Berry Duck Walk is another good one.

Or why not try a jump?

Kh7RUxUiahU