PDA

View Full Version : OSU... pardon a Texan girl's ignorance

Childbride
January 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Strum, i've actually been watching your team while on the treadmill tonight. :)

what the heck are those thingies on your players' helmets, and why do they look like a certain five-leaved plant that rhymes with hannibis?

[and before you ask me how i know about that plant, you'd be surprised what t-shirts people wear to their criminal plea dates, for possession, no less]

enlighten me. :D

R_of_G
January 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I'd say it's because you have to be high to root for OSU but I don't want to offend anyone... oh, too late. Sorry, had a bad experience with a room full of drunken OSU fans once upon a time.

Actually CB I believe those are supposed to be buckeyes [as in the name of the team] which is the name of the North American aesculus tree...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculus

just strum
January 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, those are buckeye leaves.

R_of _G, I'm suffering over here. I walk in the room turn on the TV and it's 10 to 0 and I think - Kick A$$. However it wasn't long before it was 17 to 10 LSU with the lead. I had to come back to the forum to get away from it.

AND WHAT DO I SEE? THIS DAMN THREAD!!!:flamemad: :reallymad: :puke:

Well, regardless of the outcome, tomorrow I pick up my guitar and play and this time next year, I won't even remember who Ohio State played tonight.

Edit: I'm signing off, so if there is the opportunity for anyone to rub salt in my wound, I won't be reading it until I get to work tomorrow.:poke:

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Well, regardless of the outcome, tomorrow I pick up my guitar and play and this time next year, I won't even remember who Ohio State played tonight.

At least you know what's important Strum.:rockon:
For my part, I was glad to see LSU win only bc of my feelings about OSU. Overall, without a legitimate playoff system I don't recognize a National Champion anyway. It's all a big joke to sell advertising for the tv coverage.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 06:30 AM
At least you know what's important Strum.:rockon:
For my part, I was glad to see LSU win only bc of my feelings about OSU. Overall, without a legitimate playoff system I don't recognize a National Champion anyway. It's all a big joke to sell advertising for the tv coverage.

I was smart enough to change the channel just minutes into the 3rd qtr, dumb enough not to change it sooner. But I will say OSU's band beat LSU's band:D

Not to make the bitter pill go down easier, but I stated in an earlier thread, OSU rightful place was the Rose Bowl. I know nothing about LSU, having never watched one of their games, but after last night I will say "Damn, those kids are fast!!!" No doubt, the better team won.:cry:

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Not to make the bitter pill go down easier, but I stated in an earlier thread, OSU rightful place was the Rose Bowl.

Absolutely, as the Big 10 champ this is where they belonged, and they'd have been a much better opponent for USC than Illinois was.

I know nothing about LSU, having never watched one of their games, but after last night I will say "Damn, those kids are fast!!!" No doubt, the better team won.:cry:

The SEC is a different level of football entirely. I think the SEC and Big 12 have access to deeper talent pools than some of the other conferences as they recruit heavily in the Texas and Florida, the two powerhouse states of high school ball.

Bloozcat
January 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I don't think that Ohio State would have faired any better than Illinois against USC. USC has as talented a group of receivers as LSU has (probably more so), and their defense is also dominating. USC was just starting to peak as the season ended, and entered the Rose Bowl healthier than they'd been in weeks.

The problem that the Big 10 has in general, and Ohio State specifically in this case, is that they are in denial of the reality that is modern college football. Dead and gone are Woody and Bo and the 5-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust game that they championed. The game has changed, and the Big 10 refuses to recognize this and change accordingly. Both Ohio State and Michigan have added speed over the years, but they still don't know how to use it to their best advantage.

Just a few illustrations and observations:

Ohio State is 0-7 against the SEC, with 6 of those 7 losses coming in the last 16 years, and already 2 of those losses coming in this century. Speed kills, but so does good coaching.

The only teams that Ohio State played that were ranked in the top 25 this year were all in the Big 10 and ranked #20, #23, and #25 at the time they played them. Ohio State's #1 defensive ranking came against teams no better than this. Is it any wonder why critics thought that the #1 ranked team should at least beat one good football team to get that #1 ranking?

The next best team in the Big Ten (Illinois) had four losses. The two top teams in the Big 10, Ohio State and Illinois, both got trounced in their bowl games by teams that were quicker & faster. Ohio State and Illinois were both out manned and out coached in those games. And, Illinois beat Ohio State as well.

The Big 10 teams played in 8 bowl games this year, and lost in 5 of the 8 games.

Sorry, but that's just the reality. Now I have to excuse myself while I go console one of my co-workers who's an Ohio State fan. I rooted for LSU and they won, but this guy's still a friend. I won't rub it in, and neither would he if the results had been different.

EDIT: In fairness, I have to credit Illinois for having thought outside the box in hiring Ron Zook as their coach. His experience at Florida, and his coaching philosophy in general is a breath of fresh air for the Big 10. It didn't go well for them against USC, but the Illinois program is still a few years away from top form IMHO. Kudos also to Michigan for having hired Rich Rodriguez away from West Virginia. He's a spread offense coach, and he should change the Wolverines style of offense considerably.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Ahhh, that made me feel better.

Bloozcat
January 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Sorry strum....

Any true fan of a team has gone through the bad times as well as the good. You just take your lumps, go on, and hope for a better season the next year.

I'm a long time, die hard Hurricanes fan, and I've seen the peaks and valleys too. Right now, we're in one of those deep valleys...:(

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I don't think that Ohio State would have faired any better than Illinois against USC. USC has as talented a group of receivers as LSU has (probably more so), and their defense is also dominating. USC was just starting to peak as the season ended, and entered the Rose Bowl healthier than they'd been in weeks.

The problem that the Big 10 has in general, and Ohio State specifically in this case, is that they are in denial of the reality that is modern college football. Dead and gone are Woody and Bo and the 5-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust game that they championed. The game has changed, and the Big 10 refuses to recognize this and change accordingly. Both Ohio State and Michigan have added speed over the years, but they still don't know how to use it to their best advantage.

Just a few illustrations and observations:

Ohio State is 0-7 against the SEC, with 6 of those 7 losses coming in the last 16 years, and already 2 of those losses coming in this century. Speed kills, but so does good coaching.

The only teams that Ohio State played that were ranked in the top 25 this year were all in the Big 10 and ranked #20, #23, and #25 at the time they played them. Ohio State's #1 defensive ranking came against teams no better than this. Is it any wonder why critics thought that the #1 ranked team should at least beat one good football team to get that #1 ranking?

The next best team in the Big Ten (Illinois) had four losses. The two top teams in the Big 10, Ohio State and Illinois, both got trounced in their bowl games by teams that were quicker & faster. Ohio State and Illinois were both out manned and out coached in those games. And, Illinois beat Ohio State as well.

The Big 10 teams played in 8 bowl games this year, and lost in 5 of the 8 games.

Sorry, but that's just the reality. Now I have to excuse myself while I go console one of my co-workers who's an Ohio State fan. I rooted for LSU and they won, but this guy's still a friend. I won't rub it in, and neither would he if the results had been different.

EDIT: In fairness, I have to credit Illinois for having thought outside the box in hiring Ron Zook as their coach. His experience at Florida, and his coaching philosophy in general is a breath of fresh air for the Big 10. It didn't go well for them against USC, but the Illinois program is still a few years away from top form IMHO. Kudos also to Michigan for having hired Rich Rodriguez away from West Virginia. He's a spread offense coach, and he should change the Wolverines style of offense considerably.

I agree on all points Bloozcat. USC would have beaten OSU, though it'd have probably been a more interesting game than the one we got.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Sorry strum....

Any true fan of a team has gone through the bad times as well as the good. You just take your lumps, go on, and hope for a better season the next year.

Hey, I live in Cleveland Browns country - I'm a pro

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM

I grew up a Jets fan [and always will be] and now I live in Tampa. I know more about following a losing team than anyone should ever have to know.:rotflmao:

marnold
January 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Apparently the folks in Columbus need to talk to the Maize and Blue. Michigan is 19-5-1 against the SEC, including 5-1 in their last six bowl games against them. If only they could have a record like that when going out to Pasedena.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Apparently the folks in Columbus need to talk to the Maize and Blue. Michigan is 19-5-1 against the SEC, including 5-1 in their last six bowl games against them. If only they could have a record like that when going out to Pasedena.

Well, I kind of like it like that. Win all you want over the SEC. Just watch out for my good old Pac 10. :beer:

Bloozcat
January 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM

I'm with you on that one, buddy!

BUT, the Browns are on their way back! 10-6 isn't too shabby, and far better than the bundits predicted. If they shore up the defense a bit more, they'll be challenging Pittsburg (:mad:) for the AFC North title. I am a little disappointed that they couldn't win just the one last game to get into the playoffs, though.

But I digress...this thread is about COLLEGE FOOTBALL...:o

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 08:01 AM
BUT, the Browns are on their way back! 10-6 isn't too shabby, and far better than the bundits predicted. If they shore up the defense a bit more, they'll be challenging Pittsburg (:mad:) for the AFC North title. I am a little disappointed that they couldn't win just the one last game to get into the playoffs, though.

But I digress...this thread is about COLLEGE FOOTBALL...:o

I was very impressed with the Browns this season. With some smart defensive acquisitions in the off-season they could definitely be a team to contend with in the AFC next season.

just strum
January 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I was very impressed with the Browns this season. With some smart defensive acquisitions in the off-season they could definitely be a team to contend with in the AFC next season.

One of the big improvements was in the office - THEY KNOW HOW TO DRAFT.

Rookie left tackle Joe Thomas was named to the Pro Bowl yesterday. Started all 16 regular season games, played every offensive snap. Prior to that they draft Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. Throw in some later round choices that made major contributions, they know what they are doing. If only they beat Cincinnati in game 15, they would have gone to the playoffs.:thwap:

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM
One of the big improvements was in the office - THEY KNOW HOW TO DRAFT.

You see, that's the problem with the Jets. You can't draft new owners and ultimately, that's the core problem with them. The ownership is very, um, careful with their money [read as "cheap as hell"]. Until they are willing to pay for top talent they will continue to get what they pay for.

marnold
January 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
You see, that's the problem with the Jets. You can't draft new owners and ultimately, that's the core problem with them. The ownership is very, um, careful with their money [read as "cheap as hell"]. Until they are willing to pay for top talent they will continue to get what they pay for.
When any of you feel bad, just say to yourselves, "At least I'm not a Lions' fan like marnold." The end of last month marked the 50th anniversary of the Lions' last championship. The Browns and Lions used to rip it up in the 50s. Too bad I'm only (about to turn) 40.

R_of_G
January 10th, 2008, 05:53 AM
When any of you feel bad, just say to yourselves, "At least I'm not a Lions' fan like marnold." The end of last month marked the 50th anniversary of the Lions' last championship. The Browns and Lions used to rip it up in the 50s. Too bad I'm only (about to turn) 40.

I feel your pain Marnold. The Jets won their last and only championship 8 months before I was born. Although you didn't see it because of your age, at least the Lions have a positive history for some point of their existence. The Jets strive for mediocrity at best. If only they'd put the Jets, the Lions and some of the other historically underachieving teams in the same division, then at least one of them could win!

Bloozcat
January 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM

There were a lot of Dolphins fans down here in south Florida who were pretty hopeless too, marnold. That is, until the team announced the hiring of The Tuna. Now they're all expecting a championship in 2-3 years.

Watching the Dolphins play in 2007, was like watching a train wreck...:eek:

marnold
January 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
There were a lot of Dolphins fans down here in south Florida who were pretty hopeless too, marnold. That is, until the team announced the hiring of The Tuna. Now they're all expecting a championship in 2-3 years.
It was my hope that the Lions would do that or at least fire everyone and hire Ron Wolf as a consultant to bring in someone who knows their head from their hindquarters without a schematic.