PDA

View Full Version : Corinne Bailey Rae, John Legend & John Mayer

t_ross33
January 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Must be living in a cave (an ice cave most likely :canada:), but just stummbled on this gem from the 2007 Grammys (where WAS I anyway). One of the best awards-show-performances I've ever seen. "Gravity" is one of my new favorites and I'm GASing for a John Mayer Signature Strat now - if some mojo might rub off on me :D

I keep coming back to John Mayer. I've really enjoyed his music in the past and always dug his sensibility as an artist (not to mention his guitar chops). I was a little young for Page, Clapton et al in their heyday. At 40, can I claim JM as the guitarist for my generation? :rotflmao: Of course, I DID have SRV, so I may have to rethink that...

Anyway, enough preamble. Enjoy:

FhJKSseiPXE

:bravo::bravo::bravo:

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
John Mayer gets a lot of bashing on guitar forums, it seems. It's as if his "gentle" side doesn't appeal to most guitar players. The guy can play really good, though, at least that's what I think.

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM
You know I am a fan. I really like his tone and playing. The honesty of much of his later writing is very strong in my opinion. I know very little about any of his stuff pre-Continuum though. Not everyone needs to agree with me however. :) I watched and like this performance when it aired. I wished it were longer. The hip hop/pop stuff that filled a lot of the rest of the evening just does not interest me. Trev, at least you are within a decade.

Lev
January 9th, 2008, 02:50 AM
You should check his playing on the new Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD. The intro solo on Belief gives me goose bumps.

I think most of the JM bashing that goes on is just because he's successful. People always like to knock down those who are at the top. And the fact that he acknowledges his influences (Jimi, SRV) give people license to call him a copy-cat!

Robert
January 9th, 2008, 08:12 AM
It may also be because he wrote songs like "your body is a wonderland", and his soft voice. He's not a growling vocalist like most blues guitar players are...

Jimi75
January 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Oh no, not again that John Mayer discussion ;-)

I have seen Corinne live in Bonn, Germany. I was invited by a friend to go with him to that concert. I think she is high class, but to be honest, afer 2-3 songs it was a little boring.

One thing about John Mayer - you may like him or not, but do yourself a little favour: Watch MTV for one whole day and after being raped by all that crappy music, you will appreciate John's talent and see that this guy writes songs, carries on the torch of some great guitarists and is a composing genoius.....just listen to his chords and harmonies, believe me.

I write this very objectively, because I am not a huge fan of his singing.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I think the bashing of Mayer is a bit overdone as well. I'm personally not a fan of his work but there is no denying his talent.

just strum
January 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
and he wears a mean bear suit.

9H-bJs-Ib-s

marnold
January 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
It may also be because he wrote songs like "your body is a wonderland", and his soft voice. He's not a growling vocalist like most blues guitar players are...
To say nothing of the whole "daughters" thing. When I heard "Waiting on the World to Change" I thought it was somebody else. It had a great R&B vibe and his singing wasn't the soft weirdness that (I feel) plagues most of his music. When he decides to play the guitar, the man can absolutely rip.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
A little cross pollination. :D

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4520

I don't have any clips of the other two artists handy.

Lev
January 15th, 2008, 05:11 AM
a couple of interesting new insights into Mr Mayer...

Firstly, he's joined us Youtubers who just post vids of our gear and us jamming at home...

4ruic_HgQ6U
(yes, it is JM, even though you don't see his face

Secondly, he's been getting drunk and jamming ACDC songs with local cover bands in his spare time....

vWMfsOOX6jk

sunvalleylaw
January 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Hey that's very cool! How do you find all this stuff? (I know, I know, google and youtube searches). Never thought to search for John just jamming though.

Lev
January 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hey that's very cool! How do you find all this stuff? (I know, I know, google and youtube searches). Never thought to search for John just jamming though.

there's a couple of John Mayer gear forums out there and these little jems show up evey now and then. I really need to stop posting JM stuff, folks here will think I listen to nothing else ! :thwap:

sunvalleylaw
January 15th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Not at all the only music I am listening to(LOL, there are always my Neil Young posts), but I do like to learn from this style of playing and tone.