PDA

View Full Version : Never heard this Overdrive... Drivetrain II

Radioboy950
January 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Reverend Drivetrain II Overdrive...ran across one while searching for some new gizmos & gadgets. If you've used one, what do you think??

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I had the original Drivetrain but the 2nd version is much better and different. They must be very good - Bonamassa likes them and uses them!

The pedals were discontinued a good while ago. If you need a good OD pedal, I'd say grab that one pronto.

WackyT
January 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Reverend Drivetrain II Overdrive

The Ibanez TS-808 and TS-9 are two of the most popular overdrive pedals ever made, but a host of other pedals strive to emulate the TS-9 sound and then some. Reverend’s Drivetrain II ($169 retail/$109 direct), uses the same JRC4558 chip that powered the original Ibanez circuits, but offers greater output, dedicated Bass, Treble, and Volume controls, and a neutral-buffered bypass circuit that not only prevents “tone sucking,” but allows you to drive long cable lengths without signal loss.

With its Drive knob at zero and the Volume cranked, the Drivetrain II packs enough output to grungify a Fender Twin Reverb or whip a non-master Marshall 50-watt into a frothy rage. Nudging up the Drive control brings on plenty of ballsy, ’Screamer-flavored grind, which, as with a TS-9, remains fairly mild even when set to maximum. The Drivetrain II’s distortion dynamics are perfect for working your guitar volume to morph between rhythm and lead, and it also boasts an open, uncolored voicing and a powerful Bass control. This is a cool pedal for a great price.

—Art Thompson

Kudos
Excellent TS-9-flavored tones, but with way mo’ bass and output. Simple and rugged.

Concerns
Hissy at high output levels.

Contact
(586) 775-1025; reverenddirect.com

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/stompbox-fever/Apr-04/1122

markb
January 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Another Tube Screamer clone with an extra knob to overcome the bass cut. If I remember right they were designed by Joe Naylor of Reverend with some input from Bob Weil of Visual Sound. I'd think Route 66 OD side with variable bass boost, a bit like a Bad Monkey really, hmm.

Robert
January 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Look at what people are willing to pay for one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190188540060&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=009

$306.00