PDA

View Full Version : If you HAD to play in only one style

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if you could only play one style/genre of music with your guitar, what would it be and why?

For me it'd likely be punk because it is the truest way for me to express my thought process.

Bloozcat
January 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Oh, wait, wait...I know this one...

Is it the Blooz...?
:D

Ro3b
January 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
LOUD music.

mrmudcat
January 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
BLUES AND SWAMP BOOGIE:beer:

Big K
January 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Blues based Rock

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Jazz, because to me, it's the most interesting and rewarding way of expressing oneself musically.

tunghaichuan
January 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Scandanavian death metal :D

tung

stingx
January 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Swamp *** Swing!

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Rock with blues flavors. I can get away with a lot of different stuff with that.

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Scandanavian death metal :D

tung

Forgive my ignorance of the genre, but does it differ from "American" death metal [other than lingusitically]?

tunghaichuan
January 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Forgive my ignorance of the genre, but does it differ from "American" death metal [other than lingusitically]?

I don't think there is any difference really, the Scandanavian bands are just cooler ;)

tung

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
good enough:rockon:

piebaldpython
January 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Like MUDMAN, Blues and swamp boogie because it's all in the "swing and the sway". :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
January 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
'50s swing rock n' roll ala Gene and Eddy.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Blues. Mainly because it really is the root of so much of the music I listened to while growing up and even today.

aeolian
January 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Disco, of course! I challenge anyone to tell me how any other style can be better! ;-)

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Polkas. I play them on my Epiphone Dot. Guess you could say it's my polka-Dot. I just put on my favorite polka CD and play accordionly....

OK, OK, no more lousy puns. Blues/rock for me. :rockon:

marnold
January 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
My take? Scandinavian death metal bands are real. Most U.S. ones are an attempt to shock or sell. The Scandinavian ones burn churches. Notoriously one made necklaces out of the skull fragments of their lead singer who shot himself to death and used a picture of his corpse as an album cover.

I'm not saying that's a GOOD thing, mind you . . .

Back on topic: probably blues-based rock. Yeah, that term can apply to anything from SRV to Deep Purple to 80s metal, but I don't care.

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info Marnold. That def sounds like dedication to one's art!

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Polkas. I play them on my Epiphone Dot. Guess you could say it's my polka-Dot. I just put on my favorite polka CD and play accordionly....

OK, OK, no more lousy puns. Blues/rock for me. :rockon:

Man, you really need to get yourself a Buddy Guy "Polka Dot" strat! :dude:

tot_Ou_tard
January 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Ummmm...guitar music :D.

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Ummmm...guitar music :D.

There's always one smart-*** and it's usually you Tot. Of course that's what I like about you.:AOK:

Spudman
January 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Progressive. There are no limitations.

LagrangeCalvert
January 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Retro Rock......its my style.

Or (what we have been called also) Blues-Metal.

R_of_G
January 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Retro Rock......its my style.

Or (what we have been called also) Blues-Metal.

Blues metal. That sounds VERY interesting and like something I would enjoy a lot LC.

Kazz
January 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
The blues man.....there aint nuttin better than the blues

cherokee747
January 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
BLUES!!! Chasin that Devil music:AOK:

t_ross33
January 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Given my background, upbringing etc. I'd have to say Country/Rock, if joining two genres by a slash makes it one genre :D

But I'd love to say blues... I don't play blues much, at least not specifically THE BLUES, but if I couldn't play more than one type of music, it would have to be blues.

I woke up this mahnin'
Tried to ease this achin' head
Said I woke up this mahnin'
Tried to ease this achin' head
Want to play some country moozik
All I can play is Howlin' Wolf instead

Or sumptin' like that ;)

warren0728
January 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
blues....and that covers a lot of ground musically.....robert johnson....fleetwood mac (peter green)....clapton.....srv....etc....etc....etc....

ww

Ro3b
January 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Ok, ok. Punk. And that covers a lot of ground musically too: Stooges, Velvet Underground, Clash, Ramones, Television, Ruts, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Good answer Ro3b. There is a LOT more diversity in "punk" than a lot of people would have you believe.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Good answer Ro3b. There is a LOT more diversity in "punk" than a lot of people would have you believe.

'Tis true. My answer of blues flavored rock included in my my mind some old school punk for example. Really just a higher tempo and stripped down in some cases, with shorter solos. But oh so much energy. :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM
There's always one smart-*** and it's usually you Tot. Of course that's what I like about you.:AOK:
I'm just being a smart-***, 'cause I can't choose the genre.

Besides how strongly would we get to push the boundary? When does jazz become funk, or blues rock?

How does this work. Are we connected by electrodes to a jury of our peers with buttons?

bluesy, blue, blue bendy, legato, wail bluesy twang blu...

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Yeouch!!!!

warren0728
January 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
'Tis true. My answer of blues flavored rock included in my my mind some old school punk for example. Really just a higher tempo and stripped down in some cases, with shorter solos. But oh so much energy. :AOK:
true....a good friend of mine was part of the "punk" scene in nyc...playing at cbgb's and such with the ramones, richard hell, etc. and they considered themselves not really punk but angry blues...

ww

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
When does jazz become funk...?

Ok, this one I can answer. To me, NOTHING becomes funk until it's on the One. Plenty of music can be funky [with heavy liquidy bass and wah's and cool electronic effects and keyboards] but unless the whole band is one the One, it ain't funk, it's funky jazz, or funky rock, or funky blues or, well you get it.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM
true....a good friend of mine was part of the "punk" scene in nyc...playing at cbgb's and such with the ramones, richard hell, etc. and they considered themselves not really punk but angry blues...

ww

First of all, cool on your friend! I'd have LOVED to have played any part in that scene [a scene responsible for SO much of my fav music]. Also, I agree with both you and SV Steve, there is definitely plenty of room for aggressive blues in the punk category.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
In my mind I draw a fairly direct line from Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, early Beatles and Stones and Kinks, on through up to Ramones, Clash, early Elvis Costello, Replacements, etc. So, for the topic, I would list those as fitting within my definition of blues based rock, based on the history.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
In my mind I draw a fairly direct line from Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, early Beatles and Stones and Kinks, on through up to Ramones, Clash, early Elvis Costello, Replacements, etc. So, for the topic, I would list those as fitting within my definition of blues based rock, based on the history.

I think that's true, but it's half the story. There is also a direct line from Coltrane to the "free jazz/new music" of Albert Ayler, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman to mid 1970's electric Miles Davis to The MC5 & The Velvet Underground to Black Flag & The Minutemen etc...

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I think that's true, but it's half the story. There is also a direct line from Coltrane to the "free jazz/new music" of Albert Ayler, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman to mid 1970's electric Miles Davis to The MC5 & The Velvet Underground to Black Flag & The Minutemen etc... You have alluded to that half of the story before. I still need to follow that line when I have time. I listened to Lou Reed, mostly post Velvet Underground, and have some Black Flag, but have not spent much time with The Minutemen and some of the others you have mentioned.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
You have alluded to that half of the story before. I still need to follow that line when I have time. I listened to Lou Reed, mostly post Velvet Underground, and have some Black Flag, but have not spent much time with The Minutemen and some of the others you have mentioned.

Like I said before Steve, if you ever want a map of that line drawn out for you to follow, pick up Clinton Heylin's "From the Velvets to the Voidoids." Or, for a much shorter, but equally interesting take on it, read this: http://www.furious.com/perfect/jazzpunk.html

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Like I said before Steve, if you ever want a map of that line drawn out for you to follow, pick up Clinton Heylin's "From the Velvets to the Voidoids." Or, for a much shorter, but equally interesting take on it, read this: http://www.furious.com/perfect/jazzpunk.html

Yep, I haven't forgotten. On my list for this year. As is getting a set of the Gunslinger series I started last year. Though it was on my list, it was passed over this year.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Yep, I haven't forgotten. On my list for this year. As is getting a set of the Gunslinger series I started last year. Though it was on my list, it was passed over this year.

Both are essential reading material.

pes_laul
January 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
what would the offspring fall under that either that Im a big grunge fan pearl jam........Sound garden.....REM......Etc

pie_man_25
January 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
heavy metal, because it's so diverse, theoretically and lyrically, I'm a generally mellow guy, but at a show, or just playing I can't help but just make angry faces, yell, shake the floor, break things and tear my shirt off and throw it into the crowd (whether the crowd is real or not)

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
what would the offspring fall under that either that Im a big grunge fan pearl jam........Sound garden.....REM......Etc

Kris, I think Offspring would be considered punk. It's certainly pop punk, but that is still a form of it, and fun to play as well.

What intrigues me is that you think of REM as grunge. To be honest, I'm not altogether sure what I would classify REM as. The term "alternative" was used about them, but that was always a pointless term. Before the popularity of that word REM was called "college radio" music. Ultimately I'd say they are rock. Whatever you call them I love early REM, not so much the later stuff [think pre-1988].

Pearl Jam I also love. I saw them in 1992 open up for the Chili Peppers. Nobody really knew who they were and they stole the show. I also like their policy of making all of their live shows available to their fans.

Sound Garden was never my thing though it could possibly have been due to just really not liking Cris Cornell's voice.

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Ok, this one I can answer. To me, NOTHING becomes funk until it's on the One. Plenty of music can be funky [with heavy liquidy bass and wah's and cool electronic effects and keyboards] but unless the whole band is one the One, it ain't funk, it's funky jazz, or funky rock, or funky blues or, well you get it.
very nice description

& a ONE!

R_of_G
January 10th, 2008, 05:55 AM
very nice description

& a ONE!

I'm typically not one to believe in things like genre when it comes to music. I think it comes from listening to a lot of Tom Waits who defies genre with each new album. That said, when it comes to funk, I think the definition is pretty clear.

oldguy
January 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Neil Young

R_of_G
January 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM
OG, that is another great choice. Neil plays in a variety of styles, most of them very cool.

R_of_G
January 10th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Just one more note for Kris. If you like Offspring, there are a couple of bands I think you might also enjoy. Check out The Ergs! and The Steinways. Both play in a similar "pop punk" style to Offspring, though I personally think their songs are better, and The Ergs! are incredibly gifted musically, particularly the guitar player.

LowEndWonder
January 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Rock&Roll Baby!!

GREENMACHINE
January 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hey Guys
If I had to play only one type of music it would be blues, I'm no profesional at playing blues but from what I can do I really enjoy playing. I play rock, country some metal and all that but I find I can put passion and feeling into blues, but not very much into rock metal or country. Plus blues is reasonibly easy to understand like the 12 bar blues and some of the blues feels are really cool they got real good beat to them.

Many thanks
GREENMACHINE:D

oldguy
January 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
OG, that is another great choice. Neil plays in a variety of styles, most of them very cool.

I like him..... I think it was in the liner notes of "Tonight's The Night" (yes, I had the album "a vinyl disc"), he was asked by an interviewer in Germany to describe his musical "style". His answer..... "Minimal."
I laughed my A$$ off!!
He knows.......ohhh, he knows....:D :bravo: :bravo:
I've always admired him for his social commentary.

R_of_G
January 18th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I like him..... I think it was in the liner notes of "Tonight's The Night" (yes, I had the album "a vinyl disc"), he was asked by an interviewer in Germany to describe his musical "style". His answer..... "Minimal."
I laughed my A$$ off!!

Good quote OG. It reminds me of the story of Miles Davis at the Isle of Wight festival. Miles was another one loathe to put any kind of label on his music. When asked what the 40-minute piece of music was that his band just played, Miles replied "call it anything."

Vihar
January 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Jazz, because to me, it's the most interesting and rewarding way of expressing oneself musically.

Same here. I can call anything jazz nowadays, and no one will notice if I happen to not swing every now and then. ;)

pes_laul
January 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Just one more note for Kris. If you like Offspring, there are a couple of bands I think you might also enjoy. Check out The Ergs! and The Steinways. Both play in a similar "pop punk" style to Offspring, though I personally think their songs are better, and The Ergs! are incredibly gifted musically, particularly the guitar player.
Could you maybe suggest an album or a song to checkout? (between either bands)

R_of_G
January 19th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Could you maybe suggest an album or a song to checkout? (between either bands)

Here's a good one to start with .... The Ergs - Dork Rock Cork Rod [album]

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Here's a good one to start with .... The Ergs - Dork Rock Cork Rod [album]
That is a great name for an album! I'll have to check it out.

R_of_G
January 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
That is a great name for an album! I'll have to check it out.

Notice that it's a palindrome?

just strum
January 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Notice that it's a palindrome?

Ahhh, didn't catch that.

For some reason it brought back the lyric - a knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way we spell New York