PDA

View Full Version : New Backing Track

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Anybody want to try some good old Cajun Bayou music? Here’s one I found this afternoon. I made it into a 3-minute track. Can’t you just hear those accordions and fiddles a goin”?

I tried playing the “F” major in the 11th position with the “F” falling on the 6th string 13 fret. I could only play on strings 1,2, 3 and one note at the 11th fret on the 4th string. Pattern # 1 of course was used, since that’s all I know. I still need to learn more about soloing.

Justaguyin_nc
March 21st, 2006, 02:39 AM
Nice upbeat backing there Tim..

Seeing I am still in a very early stage also I would like to figure what Pattern you are talking about? And which scale? F key seems to fit this song fine... F minor pentatonic starts at either the 1st fret or the thirteenth fret.. You can get a F Major Pentatonic by going down 3 frets to the 10th fret , obviously from the thirteenth... Which is actually also the D Minor Pentatonic.. ... There are soooo many different scales I just was wondering which one you been using as there is no F scale on the 11th fret I don't think... I think to start any scale you suppose to use the E strings High or low... Pressing at each fret will tell you which Scale would be played there... 3rd fret G, 5th fret A, 7th Fret B etc etc... If I am also missing something maybe a PRO out here can Enlighten us... Here is a link to a Scale Calculator...http://jguitar.com/scale?root=F&scale=Minor+Pentatonic&fret=13&labels=tone&notes=sharps any of the notes shown can be played... the dark blue shows the first pattern in this case Minor Pentatonic... to see it as a Major Pentatonic change the Scale adjuster to Major Pentatonic and Fret to 10... you have the same pattern 3 frets down and just went from Minor to Major... now adjust the Scale Adjuster to another..wow soooo many different scales... one thing they seem to have in common though.. Your High and Low E string always has the ROOT Key to the scale you wish to play... I kinda messed with this Backing and was going from the F minor to the D minor(F Major) right below and they both sound fine to me with it....(Course I been known to be tone deaf) I think the only thing to do is find a phrasing/pattern between those Keys Highlighted Dark Blue which is 13 and 16 on Low and High E and your B string , plus 13 and 15 on A,D,G strings.... that should be the whole Pattern # 1 for Minor Pentatonic Scale in F... Start same pattern 3 frets down for a Major Scale 10 and 13 E's and B String and 10 and 12 A,D and G string.. from there add in some of the light color blue notes... what sounds good is figuring which of the blue notes to press to make a melody of some sort... that make sense? well..I was just trying to help out...

Thanks again for the backing track...:R

Tim
March 21st, 2006, 05:08 AM
Justa - First I want to thank you for the link to the scale calculator. What a great help it will be. I also want to correct the scale I mentioned in my post. It should read the “F” Major scale at the 10th fret or the “D” Minor. See scale: http://jguitar.com/scale?root=F&scale=Major+Pentatonic&fret=10&labels=tone&notes=sharps

I miss counted the frets from the 6th string 13th fret. As I stated in my first post, I could only play on strings 1, 2, 3 and one note at the 11th fret on the 4th string. Any other note gave me that “sour” sound when played on the chords of the song (F, Bb, C, & G). I am beginning to think that one must move out of pattern #1 box when playing on top of chord progressions. Although Robert makes it look so simple in his videos. I wish I knew where the hole in my metal block was. I want to break through it.

I will give both the “F” Minor and “D” Minor pentatonic scales a try when I get home tonight. Thanks again for the scale calculator. I will be using it a lot.

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 05:55 AM
nice backing track Tim....although i am afraid my fingers would end up in a knot if i tried to play over it. :D

Cool link justa....just bookmarked it.

ww

Tim
March 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Here is my take of the Cajun Bayou song track. This is a tough one for me. Maybe because it is a Major scale. I played the F Major scale over this song. Comments welcomed.

Justaguyin_nc
March 22nd, 2006, 02:55 PM
Nice one Tim! Swing those crawfish and waddle around the pier...