PDA

View Full Version : Police cars

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
A very non-scientific question:

What brand of cars does the police use where you live? Here we use both SAAB 9-5´s and Volvo V70´s.

abraxas
January 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
In Greece they used to have (and still operate some) 2 litre Opel Astras. Nowadays, they have mainly Citroen Xsaras (I believe they are the 1.8lt variants) and Skoda Octavias.

The police usually keeps the cars for more than 7-8 years so these are all previous models not the current ones. They use the same cars (without police insignia) for "covert" operations too (read, when they sneak behind you on the motorway, pointing a laser gun at you :whatever: ) but, fortunately, we Greek drivers have developed a sixth sense in understanding which car is a "cop car" and take measures. :pancake:

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Alfa Romeo Giulia Supers. (oh no, that was in an old movie). I believe mostly Chrysler Intrepids or Chargers or something for the patrol units with some Ford Expedition types. They sheriff has one Hummer that was donated to them.

WackyT
January 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Haven't noticed what the locals are driving, but have noticed the Colorado State Police have switched over to Dodge Chargers.

http://images18.fotki.com/v340/photos/4/49373/2004776/cnpca5938-vi.jpg

Almost looks like it belongs in a Mad Max movie, doesn't it?

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
In Greece they used to have (and still operate some) 2 litre Opel Astras. Nowadays, they have mainly Citroen Xsaras (I believe they are the 1.8lt variants) and Skoda Octavias.

The police usually keeps the cars for more than 7-8 years so these are all previous models not the current ones. They use the same cars (without police insignia) for "covert" operations too (read, when they sneak behind you on the motorway, pointing a laser gun at you :whatever: ) but, fortunately, we Greek drivers have developed a sixth sense in understanding which car is a "cop car" and take measures. :pancake:

Thanks Abraxas!
We talked about it at work today so I thought that I should use my "global connections" to find out more.. :)
Our department (The police contact centre) have a unmarked car too (white Volvo V70 2.4 litre) but I noticed today that other drivers seems to know that it is a police car.. I wonder if it is because that we have two extra antennas or simply the fact that two hairless gentlemen usually doesnt sit in a car together at daytime .. I dont know :D

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM
WackyT, those are the identical units to the local Hailey police. Hailey painted theirs black. I thought of the same reference. I

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone! Here is the look of the latest incarnation of the Volvo V70 cruiser:

http://www.polisen.se/mediaarchive/4347/39398/rps_radiobil300.jpg

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Our Provincial police mostly Ford Crown Vic's, there were some Chevy Impala's for a while but I guess they couldn't touch the muscle and girth of the mighty Ford (insert grunting ape smiley here).. Locally, more Vici's and some Chargers in a plain wrapper.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I think our town has Chrysler (not sure of the model) and they have a couple of 4WD, but again not sure what kind.

I do know they have their headlights off during the day.:D

t_ross33
January 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Our Provincial police mostly Ford Crown Vic's, there were some Chevy Impala's for a while but I guess they couldn't touch the muscle and girth of the mighty Ford (insert grunting ape smiley here).. Locally, more Vici's and some Chargers in a plain wrapper.

Same here for the Mounties (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) who provide police services in the majority of the province (Regina, Saskatoon and some First Nations have City or auxiliary Police services). For highway patrol I've seen Ford Mustang GT's and Chevy Cameros :cool: And for rural and off road adventuring, big super duty Ford 4x4's trucks.

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I do know they have their headlights off during the day.:D :rotflmao:

oldguy
January 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Fords and Chevrolets. Crown Vics and Impalas, respectively.

Algonquin
January 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Dang it,:reallymad: I thought this was a 70's/80s music reunion tour announcement!

pes_laul
January 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
In the city next to where I live I didnt get a good enough glimpse of it but ut was either a mustang or a charger (or maybe a camaro)

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! :)

robert43
January 9th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Australia general duites Holden Commodore V6 (3.6 liter) Ford Falcon 6 cyclinder 4 liter ULP
Highway Patrol Holden Commodore SS ( sports V8 6 liter) Ford Falcon XR8 ( again sports model V8 5.7 liter) both premunleaed fuel
The main reason why why the HP get the sports ( the can get basic model as a V8) is resale value. The police here in Oz bascially have to sell the car for what they paid for it. ( Goverment contracts fleet dicounts etc etc) the sell general duites at 30000km ( about 20000 mile) & HP 15000km (about 10000mile)