PDA

View Full Version : What kind of job do you have ?

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Since the gear polls, I kinda like these poles now..
After Swede's cop car thread, my original thought was "how many fretters are
police" .. then thought a poll would maintain anonymity, then I thought, make it broader.. Not digging for details unless you want to tell us, just generalities.

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Not sure where my job as a web developer/designer fits in, but I chose "technical" (whatever that means... :) )

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm a Quality Assurance manager for a plant that makes large industrial compressor equipment. It's highly technical, super-high precision stuff. For Robert's and Super Swede's sakes, I'll add that it's a Swedish company! But I'll make them guess which one....

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Robert, my mind says technical.
Oops, I forget a selector for fulltime students and musicians.

stingx
January 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'm a serious techie in the financial world.

Plank_Spanker
January 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
U.S Air Force; avionics tech for the past 28 years with it, currently working as an aircraft quality assurance inspector.

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm a Quality Assurance manager for a plant that makes large industrial compressor equipment. It's highly technical, super-high precision stuff. For Robert's and Super Swede's sakes, I'll add that it's a Swedish company! But I'll make them guess which one....

Let's see.... hmm, Atlas Copco?

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Work in purchasing in the aerospace industry. Worked for two different companies over a 27 year period (started when I was 3). First company made commercial and military landing gear - Airbus, Boeing, McD... Big and small gear 747, F15, F18, F22, B1B, plus some helicopter. Today I work for a company that makes pumps, valves, control cables... for the aerospace industry and pretty much the same customer base.

duhvoodooman
January 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Let's see.... hmm, Atlas Copco?
'Xactly! Give the man a cee-gar! :AOK:

Radioboy950
January 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
26 years in the broadcasting business. So, mark me down for "Non-technical" :confused:

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hmm, me thinks the poll isn't wide enough, sorry folks.

oldguy
January 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I use a GPS system connected to a laptop to set gradestakes on construction jobsites. They are usually jobs from 200 to 400 acres, which is sizeable in this part of the country. I guess that's technical.....for construction....I don't know....so I didn't vote...:thwap:

Tone2TheBone
January 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Techie all the way. Tech2TheBone.

luvmyshiner
January 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Self-employed lawyer. Sounds great, but what it really means is that instead of one boss, I have 200, and most of them are really pissed off.
:saw:

ted s
January 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I use a GPS system connected to a laptop to set gradestakes on construction jobsites. They are usually jobs from 200 to 400 acres, which is sizeable in this part of the country. I guess that's technical.....for construction....I don't know....so I didn't vote...:thwap:

yup OG, that technical in my book.

Guitar Gal
January 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I work in the education field as a School Psychologist. I help assess and set up educational programs for students who have Autism, Learning Disabilities, Down Syndrome, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Mental Retardation, etc.

GG

warren0728
January 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
self employed for the last 12 years....have a creative agency....
(part-time pancake maker on the side of course! :pancake: )

ww

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
self employed for the last 12 years....have a creative agency....
(part-time pancake maker on the side of course! :pancake: )

ww

Always need something to fall back on.:pancake: :pancake: :pancake:

t_ross33
January 8th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I am a Project Manager for an independent cleaning and restoration company. We're the guys that swamp you out when you're flooded (our job quite literally sucks :D) and clean up fire and smoke damage.

I have to wear many hats including dreamer, schemer, field boss, cat herder, carpenter, plumber, electrician and psycologist for anyone who wants to cry on my shoulder. I walk a fine line between the interests of the insured, whom I work for, and the insurer, who pays the bills - and they don't always see eye to eye :poke: I feel like a punching bag some days, but for the most part I get a great deal of satisfaction from a job well done and being able to help people when they don't know where to turn.

Then I come home and play my guitar and dream of being a rockstar :rockon:

warren0728
January 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Always need something to fall back on.:pancake: :pancake: :pancake:
true.....actually i was in the restaurant biz for quite awhile....sometimes i miss the excitement of the kitchen and think i want to open another restaurant...probably never will though...

ww

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I am a Project Manager for an independent cleaning and restoration company. We're the guys that swamp you out when you're flooded (our job quite literally sucks :D) and clean up fire and smoke damage.

I had the unfortunate need to require this type of service and I have an appreciation for the work that is done.

Do you have any recommendations for products to clean the interior of one of my cars that received smoke damage when I had my fire?

Childbride
January 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
lawyer... for 11 years. since fall of '98, just family law.

pes_laul
January 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
hmmmm well I walk the dog once in a while :beer:

pie_man_25
January 8th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I am one that fills the "crap" section, where everybody takes you for granted, never makes any conversation with you, and looks at you like you're about to mug them or something, you barely get paid at all, and when you accidentaly forget to do your job, you get threats to get fired because those people that stare at you like some kind of vagabond want you to do your job in spite of the weather, the dog bites, the lack of appreciation etc...

did I mention I hate my job and there's a dog problem?

WackyT
January 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM
20-year enlisted USAF retiree in photographic, audio-visual equipment & alarm system maintenance.

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer currently working at a Level II computer helpdesk at IBM. Looking for a network support position.

Voted Technical.

warren0728
January 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I am one that fills the "crap" section, where everybody takes you for granted, never makes any conversation with you, and looks at you like you're about to mug them or something, you barely get paid at all, and when you accidentaly forget to do your job, you get threats to get fired because those people that stare at you like some kind of vagabond want you to do your job in spite of the weather, the dog bites, the lack of appreciation etc...

did I mention I hate my job and there's a dog problem?
ok...i give up...what do you do.... :whatever:

ww

aeolian
January 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM
My background is Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I started out designing computer chips, for the last 7 years I work in designing software for people who design chips.

Voted technical, obviously.

pie_man_25
January 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM
ok...i give up...what do you do.... :whatever:

ww

I deliver papers.

oldguy
January 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I deliver papers.

Not an easy job, not a lot of pay, and, yes, it's a pretty thankless job also.:confused:
I appreciate a good paper delivery person, and let them know it.:bravo:
Think about it, people!!:D

t_ross33
January 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I had the unfortunate need to require this type of service and I have an appreciation for the work that is done.

Do you have any recommendations for products to clean the interior of one of my cars that received smoke damage when I had my fire?

No product per se. It would need a thourough cleaning, starting with a pre-vac to get rid of any soot deposits, and then a deeper cleaning of all upholstery and surfaces. Find a restoration company or car detailing shop that has access to an ozone generator. Ozone reacts with the moisture in the air to produce peroxide which has some deodorizing properties. Just be sure they know what they are doing as ozone can bleach fabric and degrade plastic and rubber if not used correctly. There are various claims regarding the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of ozone so do some research first.

I've also had pretty good results using a deodorizing machine like the "Restorator" from Vaportek (http://www.vaportek.com/). We even used it on a house that got blasted point blank through the back door by a skunk :eek::puke: That was pretty bad.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Trev

M29
January 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by pie_man_25
I deliver papers.

Oh man, I had a paper route when I was younger. I had 103 customers and the easiest thing to do was... deliver the papers. The hard part was to try to get your money from everyone. Hang in there pie_man_25:AOK:

Oh...I worked in a factory.

M29

birv2
January 8th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm the Middle School Tech Coordinator at my school and also teach computers and English. I do some web stuff on the side. I put education.

Amazing how many techies there are! I sold my Epi VJ to a Java programmer, and we talked about how so many of us amateur musicians are also techies.

Bob

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Legal, self-employed. Also a certified ski instructor, but did not see that option. :-)

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Self-employed lawyer. Sounds great, but what it really means is that instead of one boss, I have 200, and most of them are really pissed off.
:saw:

LOL!!!! I hear that brother! At least I can choose my clients, now that I am no longer a public defender. :) That was satisfying in some respects, but after a while, one has to move on.

warren0728
January 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I deliver papers.
i feel your pain....i delivered papers during college....was a walking route (apt complexes) worse thing that happened was getting chased by a pissed of goose when i walked to close to her new babies...scarier than any dog that chased me!! :eek:

ww

Algonquin
January 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
My job is so 'Top Secret'... even I don't know what I'm doing! :D

marnold
January 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM
If there was to be a category, I suppose "Professional" would be for me (which could also include doctors, lawyers, etc.). I'm a Lutheran pastor. Most of you know that already. The rest of you can feel free to freak out now.

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Warren, I bet that gave you goose bumps! :D Or "duck skin", as we say in Sweden. :D

marnold, you know I think it's so cool that you're a Lutheran pastor and into heavy guitar at the same time. It's just such a slick combination.

Algonquin
January 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM
The rest of you can feel free to freak out now.
I'm hiding my stash as I type this!

Who tho heck am I kidding! I haven't had a stash for over 20 years!

t_ross33
January 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Who tho heck am I kidding! I haven't had a stash for over 20 years!
Like this? :rotflmao:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/ts.jpg

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I work as operator for the police.

DVM, so you work for Atlas Copco? Let me know if they let you travel to Sweden! :)

Brian Krashpad
January 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I guess I'm self-employed. I'm an attorney for a legal research firm, of which I'm a part owner.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure which of the above categories it would fall under [technical is, I suppose, the closest]. I am a graphic artist. I work in the advertising department of my company which is the industry leader in selling refuse trucks [so basically, I work on the creation of ads to sell garbage trucks as].

scgmhawk
January 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I'm a mortgage broker. Great profession in these days (lol), which is why I have time to hang out on forums like this one!

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Ok since you guys are being specific I guess I will too.

Tech. I provide graphic and Geographic Informations Systems support for an International Airport. Basically I am a CAD (computer aided drafting) and GIS geek with some graphic "art" tossed in...misc. brochures, signs, posters, advertisement banners etc. No where near what Warren does as I'm more on the technical side of computer graphics. I also administer our department's website so I am an HTML geek too.

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Sounds like a really fun job t2tb! :)

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a really fun job t2tb! :)

Not as fun and exciting as your police job though! *bam bam*! ;)

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Not as fun and exciting as your police job though! *bam bam*! ;)

Bam Bam Lucky Luke..

Danzego
January 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm a returning college student working a crappy retail job selling videogames at a game store while going to school full time+. I WAS a computer tech, but now that the industry has "matured", I found that I had to compete with kids just coming out of college with a Bachelor's Degree in computer science and no experience...and I wasn't winning.

Anyway, I'm studying to be an Elementary school teacher and will be done with my Bachelor's by Summer '09. Then, it's get a job and keep taking classes here and there to get my Masters. Me....with a Masters. I never even thought it in all my life. Hyuk. :rotflmao:

The worst part about my job now is watching parents buy M rated games like Grand Theft Auto for kids, despite my urging otherwise. They always act as if they're real concerned but they just can't say no to the kid or they just flat out don't care ("oh, he sees much worse on cable"). I've even had a mother buying the GTA 3 pack for her 6 year old. Her defense? "Well, he knows not to say the words he hears in those games, doesn't he?" *looks at kid* :whatever:

I just feel like saying to them "Look, if I said ******** **** ***** to your kid right now, would you be offended and worry that that affected them? I'll bet you would. Think about that for a few seconds.", but that would obviously be asking too much and they themselves probably say that to the kid.

Sorry about the rant. I could go on about that for HOURS.

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Danzego, some people buy GTA for their 6 year old kids??? Thats sick..
Really far away from "Bob the builder" and "Princess Rob Jiron´s makeup school" that kids that age should play (or even better: let them play outside, with other kids).

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm a returning college student working a crappy retail job selling videogames at a game store while going to school full time+. I WAS a computer tech, but now that the industry has "matured", I found that I had to compete with kids just coming out of college with a Bachelor's Degree in computer science and no experience...and I wasn't winning.

Anyway, I'm studying to be an Elementary school teacher and will be done with my Bachelor's by Summer '09. Then, it's get a job and keep taking classes here and there to get my Masters. Me....with a Masters. I never even thought it in all my life. Hyuk. :rotflmao:

The worst part about my job now is watching parents buy M rated games like Grand Theft Auto for kids, despite my urging otherwise. They always act as if they're real concerned but they just can't say no to the kid or they just flat out don't care ("oh, he sees much worse on cable"). I've even had a mother buying the GTA 3 pack for her 6 year old. Her defense? "Well, he knows not to say the words he hears in those games, doesn't he?" *looks at kid* :whatever:

I just feel like saying to them "Look, if I said ******** **** ***** to your kid right now, would you be offended and worry that that affected them? I'll bet you would. Think about that for a few seconds.", but that would obviously be asking too much and they themselves probably say that to the kid.

Sorry about the rant. I could go on about that for HOURS.

Dude...hook me up with some PSP games! All the Socom series and the hard to find Metal Gear: Portable Ops (original)! :dude: :AOK:

Adrian30
January 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Education. I teach art classes to first year students in a state university. I am a part-time, non-tenured faculty there. I love everything about my job but the paycheck.:D

And I still think it's funny.:confused:

luvmyshiner
January 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
LOL!!!! I hear that brother! At least I can choose my clients, now that I am no longer a public defender. :) That was satisfying in some respects, but after a while, one has to move on.

I hear ya' Steve, I spent the first eight years of my career in public service. Four with the Child Support Enforcement Division of the Texas Attorney General's Office, and four working for legal aid. I went out on my own ten years ago, and honestly I really do find it more enjoyable. Clients can still be a pain in the backside, but for some reason they seem to appreciate you more when they're having to pay you. Don't ask me to explain it, I can't, but something tells me you know what I'm talking about.

just strum
January 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I hear ya' Steve, I spent the first eight years of my career in public service. Four with the Child Support Enforcement Division of the Texas Attorney General's Office, and four working for legal aid. I went out on my own ten years ago, and honestly I really do find it more enjoyable. Clients can still be a pain in the backside, but for some reason they seem to appreciate you more when they're having to pay you. Don't ask me to explain it, I can't, but something tells me you know what I'm talking about.

You remember how I use to rag on you about not having a real job. Well, if you haven't noticed I stopped doing that - there are too many of you lawyer types over here and I'm not going to get my a$$ kicked.

luvmyshiner
January 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Heh, heh, I don't need a reason to kick your a$$ Strum . . . I would gladly do that for free!:poke:

And just to make it clear to everyone, I only threaten to kick someone's butt if I'm sure I can outrun them. Given Strum's history with the heart attack and everything, I feel relatively safe.:dude:

just strum
January 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Heh, heh, I don't need a reason to kick your a$$ Strum . . . I would gladly do that for free!:poke:

And just to make it clear to everyone, I only threaten to kick someone's butt if I'm sure I can outrun them. Given Strum's history with the heart attack and everything, I feel relatively safe.:dude:

Beware of owners gun, or baseball bat if I'm in a good mood:D

Danzego
January 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Danzego, some people buy GTA for their 6 year old kids??? Thats sick..
Really far away from "Bob the builder" and "Princess Rob Jiron´s makeup school" that kids that age should play (or even better: let them play outside, with other kids).

Yeah, they really really do buy that for their kids. It's certainly more common for 10 year olds and above to be there with a parent getting it for them, but this one in particular that I'm talking about, well.....excuse my French, but his parents were obviously white trash. I so felt like saying "I see YOU'RE fine with your place in life, but please, whatever you do....at least start the kid out right and give him a chance to break the chain!!"

Sad as it is to see, more parents than not (by a very large margin) just play the fake concern and buy it anyway for their kid or just don't care to begin with than the ones that actually do say "oh, is that what the game is? Well, you're certainly not getting THAT!!" I've thought about quitting many times because really...I feel bad being a future teacher having a level of involvement in that, even if it's not directly my fault. However, I do have to keep a low hour/responsibility job of some sort while I'm in school. I've come real close to speaking my mind, though, and I figure it's just a matter of time before I do yap my mouth and get canned. I won't feel bad about it one bit if that does happen. :AOK:

Oh, and Tone....when you say "hook you up", you mean you want to BUY them, right? Like I said, I work at a game STORE. ;)

Adrian30
January 9th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'm not into videogames at all, so this may sound like a stupid question, but what kind of game is GTA?

SuperSwede
January 10th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm not into videogames at all, so this may sound like a stupid question, but what kind of game is GTA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(series)

Adrian30
January 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks SS. Got it.

Sblack
January 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I am a full-time middle school English teacher and part-time adjunct English professor at a community college.