PDA

View Full Version : For us who are married, does the ring bother you when playing?

Robert
January 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I am used to it by now (better be!), but there are times when the wedding ring on my left hand gets in the way when playing the geetar. Has anyone else noticed this? If I ever start taking off when playing, I'd probably forget it somewhere and maybe then - marriage over - no more ring! :( :rotflmao:

Adrian30
January 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Oh, I don't wear mine. I've been married since 98, but never got used to wearing that thing.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Same here - don't wear it. I wore it for about 8 years, but I don't like jewelry. No ring, no watch, no neck chain, just my nipple piercings:D

Seriously, jewelry just bothers me. If I fall asleep with it on, it will wake me up.

cherokee747
January 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Don't ever wear it.I'ts the least of my old ladies worries.Got in the habit these last 8 years owning my own cabinetshop after building jets forever.Shapers will grab a hand and then,no play no more!!!!

markb
January 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
You should have got one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-SLIDE-RING-As-used-by-WILL-RAY-Stealth-Slide_W0QQitemZ300188028626QQihZ020QQcategoryZ8585 7QQcmdZViewItem), then it'd be useful :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-SLIDE-RING-As-used-by-WILL-RAY-Stealth-Slide_W0QQitemZ300188028626QQihZ020QQcategoryZ8585 7QQcmdZViewItem

oldguy
January 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I don't wear mine at work unless I'm strictly GPS gradechecking, and driving stakes. Anything else, too easy to lose a finger.
I wear it the rest of the time.
I take mine off and put it on my keyring when it's not on my hand so I don't lose it.
I wear it playing, it doesn't bother me.

stingx
January 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I didn't wear mine for the longest time as it needed resizing. I've since sorted that out and find no playing issues with it on.

abraxas
January 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM
In Greece, you wear the ring (oh, excuse me ladies, I meant The Ring :D) on your right hand if you're married. You wear it on your left if you are just engaged. You slip it carelessly in your pocket or wallet when the sexy barwoman approaches to take your order.

I believe the above makes the whole issue spectacularly simple. :D

Spudman
January 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I don't wear mine either unless I'm traveling because it makes it easier to identify the body.

It bugs me when I play. And for safety reasons I don't wear it either. I grew up on a ranch and getting it caught in machinery or something has dire consequences.

I also found out that with it off the cougars don't approach me. They think I'm a single player and therefore not a challenge. Other women when they see the ring think that I'm married and I must be safe to approach. So if I just leave it off they all stay away and I can concentrate on playing my guitar.
:rockon:

Radioboy950
January 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I am used to it by now (better be!), but there are times when the wedding ring on my left hand gets in the way when playing the geetar. Has anyone else noticed this? If I ever start taking off when playing, I'd probably forget it somewhere and maybe then - marriage over - no more ring! :( :rotflmao:
Funny you bring this up, since I have found myself removing my ring when I practice lately...dangerous...very dangerous. But I haven't lost it yet.:D
It's more bothersome with certain necks.

Tone2TheBone
January 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Cougars......rrrrowh rrrrrowh. *wiggles eyebrows*

My ring doesn't bother me when I play. I sometimes play with other rings on my other fingers too for more flash and weight on them thar strings ala Weengiee style.

t_ross33
January 8th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Mine rarely leaves my finger (which coincidentially rarely leaves my hand). I hardly notice it anymore, and my finger has grown around it like the branch of a knarley ol' tree so it doesn't come off too easy anyway.

just strum
January 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Mine rarely leaves my finger (which coincidentially rarely leaves my hand). I hardly notice it anymore, and my finger has grown around it like the branch of a knarley ol' tree so it doesn't come off too easy anyway.

I hate it when they shrink.

luvmyshiner
January 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I wear mine most of the time and it doesn't bother me anymore. I haven't noticed any problems when playing the guitar. It comes off at night when I go to bed (cause I lost it a couple of times:D ), and when I'm working out in the shop (tools that can quickly remove body parts and jewelry do not mix).

aeolian
January 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I wear my ring 24/7; it doesn't bother me playing guitar. I used to take off my ring to take a shower and stuff like that. About 10 years ago I took off my ring to take a shower and when I got out I can't find it. After about 3 weeks I finally found it in one of the drawers; apparently my toddler son had picked it up and put it in the drawer. Since that episode I have rarely taken my ring off.

fastfoot
January 8th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Actually the ring feels good to me. It balances and forces me to press harder.

tunghaichuan
January 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I don't wear a ring. I just never got used to it. About the time I got married I started to tinker with tube amps. It just never seemed like a good idea to me to have an excellent electrical conductor on my finger. :messedup:

tung

mrmudcat
January 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I wear my ring on a chain around my neck. Cant stand it on when playing and the chain has to come off at night:whatever:

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. I rarely take it off. For waterskiing, and weightlifting, and that is about it. I lost it twice a couple years ago as it was always a little big, and I had it re-sized. I felt a bit lost without it on til it was found.

marnold
January 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. It's a little loose now that it's cold and dry out. This summer when it's warm and muggy it'll be a tad tight. I tried using it as a mini-slide one time but that didn't work so hot.

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I dont notice my ring when I play guitar.. I bet that this would be more troublesome for female guitarists with big diamond rings.

Lev
January 9th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I only got married in 2007 and I was paranoid that I wouldn't be able to play guitar with my ring but it hasn't bothered me at all. I usually hate wearing any jewelry, I never wear a watch or chain so I was surprised how quickly I got used to wearing the wedding ring.

I was reassured by watching many of my favorite guitarists wearing wedding rings and it didn't seem to hinder them!

Danzego
January 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I don't wear a ring. I just never got used to it. About the time I got married I started to tinker with tube amps. It just never seemed like a good idea to me to have an excellent electrical conductor on my finger. :messedup:

Yeah, but the thing is.....your entire finger is sort of an excellent electrical conductor. ;)

Me, I've only been wearing the ring for a year and a half (which is right around the time I got married, coincidentally; the same day, matter of fact ;) ) and just in these last few months I'm starting to get used to it while playing. Either that or I'm not noticing it as much anymore when it loudly whacks off the fretboard while I'm doing something on the lower end strings (I don't have the world's longest fingers, so when I'm hitting low notes, I've got a lot of finger across the board).

However, sometimes it feels good to just take it off and play.

The ring, that is. I don't play Warren-style. :bootyshake:

Sblack
January 9th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I wear it all of the time, and it never interferes with my playing.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Mine doesn't affect my playing a bit.

Brian Krashpad
January 9th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Never bothered me playing, but then I don't go in for too many gymnastics, left-hand wise.

Bloozcat
January 9th, 2008, 07:46 AM
When I first started playing way back when I was single, rings of any kind used to bother me. Since I've been married, I've worn a wedding ring continuously. I don't even think about it when I'm playing, so I guess it must not bother me much.

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
+1 for the "wear it constantly and it doesn't bother me at all when playing" crew.... :rockon:

Robert
January 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Maybe you guys would suddenly sound 10 times better if you took it off!!
:eek:

fendermojoman
January 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Only when I play with my teeth. My ring is in my nose :rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
:eek:
Lemme guess....because I have to stop playing to remove it? :rotflmao:

t_ross33
January 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
:eek: :bootyshake:

Yeah, that's what all the chicks say. :master::bravo:

OH, the RING...

I say the drunker you get the better I sound. (Wasn't that the title of a Joe Walsh album?) :D

Moshe
January 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I don't wear a ring. I can't tolerate jewelery either. I also used to work around high voltages. And electricity will arc across a long way for a good conductor(gold) where it wont for just your finger.

I never try to pick up women or anything. I always mention Im married if theres any question.

Cant even wear a watch, and I dont know how people wear glasses. I guess someday Ill find out.

Childbride
January 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM
my rings never bother me... i only take them off when it's winter; my fingers shrink, and if there's water/soap involved i'm apt to lose them... ie: when washing katie [my dog] or something...

Bucks Owin
January 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM

Do what I do. Buy a nice gold chain and hang it around your neck....

Works for me & mine...

Dennis

GREENMACHINE
January 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hey Guys
When I get married I'm gunnna ask my wife to buy a ring big enough that I can play slide guitar with it lol! They gotta something more then just look good I reckon (I don't know how long the marriage will last though)

Laterz
GREENMACHINE:D :rockon:

JJ Gross
January 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
I have no problem playing with my ring on. I wondered about it myself when I first got married, but figured if Jimi, EVH and SRV could play like they did with rings on (and Jimi and SRV wore BIG rings), I'd just be a big baby if I whined about a simple wedding band being in my way. :D

I don't choke the neck much so I don't even think my ring even touches my guitar neck very often.

I think it probably bothered me more typing than playing guitar until I got used to it being there. Now I don't even think about it unless I'm doing something like welding or working inside an amp or something. Other than that, it never comes off.

Cheers

Katastrophe
January 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. The ring has put a permanent dent in the side of my pinky though...

Plank_Spanker
January 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I wear mine and it doesn't bother me a bit.

JJ Gross
January 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
:bootyshake:
I say the drunker you get the better I sound. (Wasn't that the title of a Joe Walsh album?) :D

Joe's second album was titled:
"The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get".

I have that one. :dude:

tot_Ou_tard
January 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I take mine off to work out & to sleep. If it's the weekend, I'll only put it on when I go out. I've never noticed whether it is on or off when I play.

For the first 5 or 6 years of my marriage, I didn't have a ring because we wanted to save money. I've been married 25 years.

Jimi75
January 25th, 2008, 03:08 AM
In Greece, you wear the ring (oh, excuse me ladies, I meant The Ring :D) on your right hand if you're married. You wear it on your left if you are just engaged. You slip it carelessly in your pocket or wallet when the sexy barwoman approaches to take your order.

I believe the above makes the whole issue spectacularly simple. :D

Same here in Germany. I used to take off the engagement ring, which I wore on the left hand, when playing guitar.

mechanic
January 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Mine doesn't bother me.
Its a good thing it doesn't because I can't get it off any more!
Eric

mark wein
January 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I wear mine all the time and it doesn't bother me. My wristwatch is another matter, though...

Gil Janus
February 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
It doesn't bother me. It's been on my finger since 1984 - it would have to be cut off now, the joints on my fingers have gotten fatter over the years.

Gil :cool:

Axis
February 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
My ring bothers me when she tells me to turn it down.

grungeiceman
February 13th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Il have to make sure my ring wont effect my playing,