PDA

View Full Version : VJ head cabinets

Duff
January 9th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I am thinking of buying another cabinet for my Epi VJ five watt Head.

4,8, and 16 ohm jacks on the back.

Which 4 by 12 cabinet would be loudest and would it be advisable to get a 4 by 12? I am wondering what the tonal differences would be compared to my matching 1 by 12 Epi 16 ohm cab?

Any advice?

Duffy

tunghaichuan
January 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I am thinking of buying another cabinet for my Epi VJ five watt Head.

4,8, and 16 ohm jacks on the back.

Which 4 by 12 cabinet would be loudest and would it be advisable to get a 4 by 12? I am wondering what the tonal differences would be compared to my matching 1 by 12 Epi 16 ohm cab?

Any advice?

Duffy

I think a 4x12 cab for a VJ is a great idea. A few years ago I hooked up my silverface champ to a 4 ohm 4x12 and it sounded huge.

As long as you correctly match the impedence of the cab to the VJ, you should get maximum power out.

There will be slight differences in SPLs between various makes/models of speakers, so if you're going for the max pick a cab with the highest dB/watt/meter rating for the speakers.

tung

Duff
January 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I am thinking of getting the So Cal Epi 16 ohm one. Just won't be able to use it with any other amps.

The VJ has a 16 ohm jack on the back of the head. Also 4 and 8. From what I'm gathering from what you stated, it won't make a difference in loudness which ohm rating I use. It has to do with speaker sensitivity.

I was under the unexpert impression that the higher ohm'age you use you get either better tone and more volume or visa versa. I was just trying to get clarification on that.

So, I'm assuming I'll get just as much volume out of the Epi So Cal 16 ohm as I would out of a Marshall 8 ohm cabinet, given that the cab is plugged into a matching jack.

I'm thinking it might be interesting to have a four by twelve cab and use it at home and use the matching one by twelve VJ cab when I need to take it out.

Do you thing the 4 by 12 would give me vastly improved tone with the VJ head?

Thanks for the feedback,

Duffy
Winfield, PA

Spudman
January 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Think of ohms as a resistance factor. The bigger the number the more resistance. 16 ohms is higher resistance and will require more power than 4 ohms to get the same sound pressure level.

I think this can vary because of the efficiency of the speaker in spite of the impedance. Different manufacturers can vary the efficiency (how the speaker reacts to 1 watt) regardless of the impedance rating. Just be sure to match your output jack with the correct impedance stated for the cabinet and you won't have any melt downs. I'd go with an 8 ohm cabinet personally.

Maybe for a better explanation you might ask Voodoo too.

Bloozcat
January 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Try to go with a speaker that has the highest spf (sensitivity) in the type speaker you're looking for. Try to get a sensitivity rating of 100dB or higher.

This is the efficiency rating of the speaker, and you will hear more volume from the speakers with the higher sensitivity ratings, in almost all cases (compared to those in the 89dB-98dB range).

Here's some comparisons:
Celestion Greenback 98dB
Celestion Vintage 30 100dB
Celestion G12H30 100dB
Eminence Legend 125 100.1dB
Eminence GB12 101.4dB
Eminence-The Govenor 102dB
Eminence-The Wizard 103dB

Interestinly, the Eminence GB12, is their answer to the Celestion Greenback, while The Wizzard is closest to the Celestion G12H30. But look at the sensitivity differences.