PDA

View Full Version : Got my custom hand made guitar

kiteman
January 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
The moment I've been waiting for. :)

I ordered a custom made guitar from J. C. Harper luthier for $900. It's a "no frills" BD model that looks like a steinberger in a way. There no figured top nor profiling (no frills) and it is pretty light. My guess would be between 6 or 7 pounds.

It is a very well made guitar and I'm quite happy with it. :)

These were the specs I've ordered:

25 1/5" scale with 12" radius rosewood fretboard
1 11/16" graphtech nut
4mm abalone dots
24 frets - .050 x .100
Dimarzio D-activator pickups
Sperzel trimlok tuners
String-thru bridge with graphtech saddles
1 vol and 1 tone chrome hardware
3 way toggle switch

He made the guitar with one piece mahogany body, poly wiped and waxed. The neck is maple and made with a "Harper" profile that is very interesting. The neck is very comfortable to play with and it's hard to describe the profile but it's unique.

I've chosen the D-activator pups because they're a passive version of EMGs which I liked but the D-activators are much better. They have the overtures and harmonics that made me realize that the EMGs were rather sterile compared to them but hell, they sounded good. The D-activators actually sounded good with the cleans and the dirtys has clarity. I ran 'em through my pocket pod using a varieties of patches and the pups shone. I'm impressed with them.

And now the guitar, it needs a minor setup but he wrote down the specs for setting up. I played with it as it is and the neck and the fretwork is excellent. A lot of attentions was paid to it and that what makes the guitar good.

What can I say, damn thing jams :)

I'll post pics but they gotta be resized to fit here.

Adrian30
January 9th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Congrats! I'm probably not the only one who is looking forward pics of the finished guitar. I know you posted some "in progress" pisc of this guitar.

R_of_G
January 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Looking FWD to seeing the pics Kiteman. It sounds like a good purchase.

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Sounds very interesting! Congrats and show us pics when you can.

Brian Krashpad
January 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Congrats! If you upload to imageshack.us you can resize as you upload, to one of your choice of max sizes. Flickr.com and myspace.com will auto-resize for you, also.

kiteman
January 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. I found a site called shrinkpicture that lets me resize the pics online and download to the drive. Nice site and it's free. :)

LagrangeCalvert
January 10th, 2008, 01:26 PM
VERY VERY awesome guitar........I love the B.O.C. symbol in the headstock.

Man I'd love to slap her on and play!

kiteman
January 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks. It plays very nicely. I have Buck Dharma's sig next to the chronos but you barely can see it.