PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for new amp

ZoSo65
March 20th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Let me start by saying hello to everyone as this is my first post here, nice forums BTW ;)

I just built a guitar and I'm on the hunt for a new amp, and these are the 3 I have norrowed it down to.

Vox-AD100VT
Line 6-Flextone III Plus
Fender-Deluxe 900 DSP

I'm almost tempted to get the AD60VTX, but the price jump gets me a little. I know it would be worth it though.

I'll basically be using it for practice sessions and small gigs.

I'm looking for any kind of info on them, you know pros, cons, if anyone owns one, your experiences, etc.

Thanks
ZoSo65

Tim
March 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM
HI ZoSo65 - and welcome to our growing family. All I know is that the best place to learn about the AD110VT is by going to the Patchtronics website. There is tone of knowledge there. Everything that can be asked, has been asked there. And a few topics posted here also.

Here is the link to Patchtronics: http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=index

ZoSo65
March 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info Tim, Patchtronix is a good site.

Robert
March 20th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Welcome, ZoSo! Post a introduction in the Fret Player's section!

Hmm, haven't tried the Fender and Line 6 models you mention, but any Line 6 amp I've tried haven't sounded as good as the Vox AD series amps. The AD60VTX is really sweet and a better gigging amp than the AD100VT, since it lets you store so much more settings, etc.

I'm not being of much help here... am I. Anyway, go try some of those amps out if you can. You might want to look at what the speaker configurations are in each amp. I know that my AD50VT would sound better with a better speaker.

ZoSo65
March 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the "Welcome" Robert
I've been seeing that about the Line 6 amps the more I look into the three I'm lookin at,,hehe
Every bit of info helps, thanks.

Zõ§õ

ZoSo65
March 21st, 2006, 05:00 PM
C'mon guys give me some more input here, please :D

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
Of the 3 amps you've mentioned tell us which one YOU REALLY want.....

ZoSo65
March 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Well, Vox has moved to the top of my list.
Fender = 2
Line 6 = 3, so basically out of the picture,,LOL

The VTX is kind'of there too, but if I was to spend that kind of money, I would just get a Mesa/Boogie, but I like the idea of a modeling amp.

I hate trying to make these kind of decisions :confused:

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM
ZoSo - they're the best kind of decisions to make. What should I buy. Poor you! :)

If you want modeling with the added versatility of gigging then the Vox will be good. If Nelski was here he'd probably suggest looking at the Cyber Twins or something. Maybe he'll say something about them. Anyway I've got the AD30VT (liked the small size for easy transport). The models are good starting points and will suit your moods for different tones thats for sure. I don't know anyone that has the VTX models so I haven't heard from anyone if they REALLY change patches and models all the time or not. I would think that most casual people would still have the tendency to tweak on the knobs to make changes than to stomp on the Vox box for amp switches. Weigh that into your consideration. Overall I have been very happy with my Vox.

duhvoodooman
March 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
I just built a guitar and I'm on the hunt for a new amp, and these are the 3 I have norrowed it down to.

Vox-AD100VT
Line 6-Flextone III Plus
Fender-Deluxe 900 DSP

I'm almost tempted to get the AD60VTX, but the price jump gets me a little. I know it would be worth it though.
Everything I've read says that, when it comes to DSP-based modeling amps, the VOX technology is the best by far. I certainly am very pleased with my AD30VT. And, yeah, the 60VTX is certainly worth the extra money, if you can swing it, or you could always look for a used one on eBay. One went for about $400 a few days ago.

Very cool axe, BTW! And welcome to the forum!

ZoSo65
March 21st, 2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys!
S**t, now I'm thinking of going for broke and getting the AD120VTX! ,,,nah:rolleyes:

Even though I've read about the resonance problems, but I think a blow hole would fix the problem. C'mon, if you think about it,,,any high end audio speakers have had "blow holes", now even the lower end systems are incorporating it. That's my thought though.

Zõ§õ

ZoSo65
March 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well,,,,I got it down to the AD60VTX and the AD120VT.

Any pros and cons of 1 speaker vs 2?

ZoSo65
March 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Uh oh :confused:
Look at this bad *** puppy!!!
Hughs & Kettner SWITCHBLADE (http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=111)

Spudman
March 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
I think the Vox is a good way to go just from listening to all the guys on the forum, their posts and sounds. However, I have kept every tube amp that I have ever owned and none of the solid state amps. Tubes become your voice and with a modeling amp I think it's too tempting to keep changing the amp and not gain your own identity. example: Carlos Santana. same amp for twenty five years or more. Very identifiable voice.
I'm not dissing any amps just stating my thoughts.

ZoSo65
March 22nd, 2006, 09:06 PM
I think I'm gonna go for the AD100VT, see how everything works out with it and down the road upgrade the speakers to a set of Celestion G12 Century Vintage(pretty much the same thing in the VTX).
I've read quite a few posts that the upgrade makes a very good improvement.

I'll also experiment with closing the back and blow holes(in front)

I seen one guy even go as far as putting different valves in, but I think that would have an effect on the amp models. What I understand is, the models where calibrated to the factory valves.

Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it :D

Zõ§õ

duhvoodooman
March 23rd, 2006, 06:03 AM
I seen one guy even go as far as putting different valves in, but I think that would have an effect on the amp models. What I understand is, the models where calibrated to the factory valves.
Hmmm, you may be right. I'm just a beginner in these matters, but I was under the impression that the 12AX7 tube in the ADxxVT amps drove the power amp side and should have little or no effect on the character of the models, which are controlled by the SS preamp.

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Uh oh :confused:
Look at this bad *** puppy!!!
Hughs & Kettner SWITCHBLADE (http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=111)

Yeah I saw that site too. Has anyone played one?

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 07:17 AM
I think the Vox is a good way to go just from listening to all the guys on the forum, their posts and sounds. However, I have kept every tube amp that I have ever owned and none of the solid state amps. Tubes become your voice and with a modeling amp I think it's too tempting to keep changing the amp and not gain your own identity. example: Carlos Santana. same amp for twenty five years or more. Very identifiable voice.
I'm not dissing any amps just stating my thoughts.

The VOX is great for a beginner like me with a huge and eclectic range of musical interests. When I find my voice and have a clear sense of the particular tone that I am going for, then I'll be hot for a particular amph.

Of course that doesn't stop me from lusting....;)

marnold
March 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Tubes become your voice and with a modeling amp I think it's too tempting to keep changing the amp and not gain your own identity. example: Carlos Santana. same amp for twenty five years or more. Very identifiable voice.
Except that it is extremely rare for guitarists to say with the exact same rig their entire careers. Check George Lynch's website sometime. He changed amps from album to album and tour to tour. EVH, Vai, Satriani, and countless others are all the same way.

When you are starting out, you really have no idea what you like. I've messed with just about every amp type on the Vox, but lately have settled into the UK70 for metal/rock tones, the Tweed 4x10 for blues, and the Boutique CL for clean tones. BUT, it took me a year and a half (and the addition of an overdrive pedal) to come to these conclusions.

Note that I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. In the beginning I raved about the NuMetal amp, but now I don't use it as much.

ZoSo65
March 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Hmmm, you may be right. I'm just a beginner in these matters, but I was under the impression that the 12AX7 tube in the ADxxVT amps drove the power amp side and should have little or no effect on the character of the models, which are controlled by the SS preamp.
That could be true too, DVD, I'll look into it more.
I've read so much in the last couple days, my mind is swimming :rolleyes:

EDIT: Dam, I just checked out the Fender Cyber Twin SE, and it looks sweeeet! Cost ya a nice chunk of change though.

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Who has power here? Can't we change the name of this subforum to Amphs?

-Montana

ZoSo65
March 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Here I go again,,
Now I'm thinking of going all tube and using a Pod! :eek:
Any opinions on these amps?

Peavy ValveKing 212 Combo
Peavy Triple XXX Super 40EFX
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12

Zõ§õ

WelcomeBack
March 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hey ZoSo,

First...I'm very much a beginner. And in the same boat...I have the AD30VT and lust for an all tube....maybe I'd practice more instead of fiddling with the amp models.

All I've read on the Peavy Valveking is bad
Have some friends with the Fender Blues Jr. and all good comments.

Anyone for the Epiphone Valve Std?
Paul

Spudman
March 26th, 2006, 03:59 PM
My favorites are Peavey Classic 30 and Hot Rod Deluxe.

The Hot Rod Deluxe has a bit more swat than the Peavey Classic 30 and can get a bit brighter sounding. It stays cleaner louder and can really wail if you get it loud.
The 30's reverb sounds better but it doesn't have quite the clean headroom. Still plenty loud especially with another cabinet.
The 30 is easier to carry. The dirty channel on the 30 sounds better.
A Crate Vintage Club 30, 50, or 60 is also another fine option.

Something for ya to think about.

ZoSo65
March 26th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys, here's what I got it down to, in no particular order:

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 w/Pod
Peavy Delta Blues w/Pod -- DVM, chime in here please :cool:
Vox AD60VTX

Yeah, Vox is back, because I will need a quiet amp for when I practice in the house.

ZoSo65
March 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM
C'mon guys,,I'm gettin ready to pull the trigger here :eek:

warren0728
March 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
you could get one of the tube amps and then something like a hot plate (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=481283) to play at lower volumes. I really like tube amps....i have a vox ad30vt and an epi valve, jr. tube amp i find i plug into the epi more than the vox.

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Just get a Marshall. A tube Marshall........................

:)

ZoSo65
March 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM
you could get one of the tube amps and then something like a hot plate (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=481283) to play at lower volumes...
hmm looks interesting, that's something like Eddie Van Halen used, of course he made his own though.

The Fender CyberTwin SE looks interesting too now.

warren0728
March 27th, 2006, 03:44 PM
heres a link to a discussion on the delta blues...seems to be well liked (i have not played through one.

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=141009

ww

Nelskie
March 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Except that it is extremely rare for guitarists to say with the exact same rig their entire careers. Check George Lynch's website sometime. He changed amps from album to album and tour to tour. EVH, Vai, Satriani, and countless others are all the same way.

*ahem* Anyone ever heard of endorsement deals? Yeah, these marquee players did change gear freqently. But do some more research, and find out what kind gear helped them to forge their identifiable sound. In most cases, its not what they're playing now. Or even what they go into the studio with.

I was watching Aerosmith's latest concert DVD "You Gotta Move", and part of the video was shot in Joe Perry's basement studio aka "The Boneyard". Nuthin' but vintage tube amps as far as the eye could see. Fender, Vox, Marshall, Supro, Mesa Boogie, etc. When the heavy dudes want to get heavy, there's always a tube amp within close reach.

I'd probably steer clear of using any Line 6 POD unit through a tube amp, as the circuitry of the amp has a tendency to color the tones created by the POD (*see my Tech 21 thread under the amps section of the forum). Tried it, and found that to be the case. Your results may vary, but that's been my experience.

I was a solid-state player for many years before I bought my first tube amp. And now that I have one (actually I have two), I will never be without one. That's just me, though, and maybe it's just "old school" that many of us have that same opinion, and loyalty, to tube amps. While its tough to put a finger on that "thing" all-tube powered amps have tone-wise vs. any other type of rig, its safe to say that whatever it is, it's totally groovin'. That being said, Zoso, get down to your local shop, and play a few. Let your ears be the judge, not ours.

ZoSo65
March 27th, 2006, 04:50 PM
That's a problem for me, the local shop is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away, and I just can't get up and go anytime I feel. Kind of "between a rock and a hard place" here :confused:

What I want to do is have 2 possibilities and order one, and if I don't like it, swap it out.

Now I'm looking at the Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 & the Delta Blues 210 2x10. :rolleyes:

Spudman
March 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Zoso
Are you in a hurry? If not take your time and get the right amph for you. Personally, the Delta 1x15 sounds better to my ears than the 2x10 and it is very similar to the Classic 30. Neither of which are really "metal" amphs. They get crunchy and tone full as all get out though.

Return shipping will still cost you $ if you order and don't like. I suggest that you be patient and purposely go shopping in a big store for what you want. Make a list of amphs that you are considering - find the store that has most of the ones on the list by calling ahead - then make a special day of it. Be patient and get the right one. That is going to come by playing one.

Still, if you ask me and Nelskie and (is it Voodoo that just got the Delta?) we would steer you that direction with no second thoughts.

Nelskie
March 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Be patient and get the right one. That is going to come by playing one.

That's good advice, Spud. BTW - Voodooman has posted some clips of his Peavey Delta amp - Zoso, you should check them out.

r_a_smith3530
March 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Zoso
Are you in a hurry? If not take your time and get the right amph for you. Personally, the Delta 1x15 sounds better to my ears than the 2x10 and it is very similar to the Classic 30. Neither of which are really "metal" amphs. They get crunchy and tone full as all get out though.

Return shipping will still cost you $ if you order and don't like. I suggest that you be patient and purposely go shopping in a big store for what you want. Make a list of amphs that you are considering - find the store that has most of the ones on the list by calling ahead - then make a special day of it. Be patient and get the right one. That is going to come by playing one.

Still, if you ask me and Nelskie and (is it Voodoo that just got the Delta?) we would steer you that direction with no second thoughts.

I agree. If you're in a real rush (like you don't have ANY amp right now), get something like a little 15 watt Squier to tide you over. Then, take your time, and YOUR amp will come to you, believe me. It has now happened to me not just once, but THREE TIMES!

The first was my '94 Peavey Classic 50/410 (yes, I'll endorse its little brother, the Delta Blues as well!). I was playing a 50 watt Kittyhawk at the time, a sweet but tempermental amp. Marshall's didn't do it for me (they don't have that "down home" blues tone I like), and I just couldn't find a Fender that quite fit. One day my friend Dave (Albert Collins' former road manager, and currently Buddy Guy's sound man) Katzman recommended the Classic 50. I checked it out, liked what I heard, laid my money down, and haven't looked back since, other than to re-tube it with JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes dot com.

Recently, as I was getting ready to start gigging with my bass, I knew that I would need something with more oomph than my little 35 watt Ibanez could muster. I began checking out the local ads, and prowling music and pawn shops. At one point, I answered an ad, halfheartedly, on Craigslist, for a Crate head and cab. I really wanted either an SWR, Ampeg, or Peavey. Anyway, I never got a reply, and forgot about it. I was just about to try making a deal on a used Workingman's 12, when I got a reply. The Crate's owner had been out of town and out of touch (on tour). Anyway, he asked if I was still interested. About the same time, an ad came out on Craig's for a similar amp, at $250 more than this guy was asking. I figured, oh, what the... Fender Frankenbass and I made the hour long trip down into the city the next Saturday. The amp sounded much better than I had imagined it would, $225 slid from my palm to the seller's, and I had me a new 220 watt bass half stack!

A couple of weeks ago, as I was GAS'ing about trading off my Leo era G&L guitar for a similar bass, my friend came across an old Peavey combo amp in a pawn shop near where he works. He recommended that I should check it out. I did, and it sounded like it would make a nice practice/backup amp. It's a 1976 Peavey TNT 100! Yeah, 100 watts of vintage power baby! This thing gets LOUD!!!

Yeah, take your time. When its right, your amp will call out to you. It may call from a local guitar shop, it may call from your neighbor's basement, or it may call from a source like Craigslist or eBay, but it will call. In the meantime, seek out other guitarists and check out their gear. Who knows, maybe your amp is sitting in the bedroom of a neighboring guitarist who is just dieing to get his hands on (insert any amp name here), and needs to sell your amp to do it!

Robert
March 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Zoso
Are you in a hurry? If not take your time and get the right amph for you.

Yes, it's like getting a wife - take your time and get the right one.

blogan
March 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Why limit yourself to one--ampolygamy isn't a bad thing. :D

SuperSwede
March 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM

If you are a mormon you can have several! :)

duhvoodooman
March 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I suppose you could always have another amp on the side, if your conscience allows it!

I guess your main amp would call that one a cheap little tr-amp. :D

warren0728
March 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM
lmao - you guys are funny :D

ww

Spudman
March 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Bad thing for Mormon musicians is that they have to play only in the temple for the first year before they can take the amp out to a gig.

Tone2TheBone
March 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I'd be Mormon if I could have the girl in your avatar Spud.

ZoSo65
March 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I suppose you could always have another amp on the side, if your conscience allows it!

I guess your main amp would call that one a cheap little tr-amp. :D

LOL,,yeah, you could say that,,,,good one DVM!

As to am I in a hurry,,,well sorta yeah,,,I have no amp here,,, and I'm dyin' for a real amp.

Oh yeah, went to our "local" store here, they had nine amps, and only one was a tube, it was a Peavey Valve King, all the others where little practice amps.

Spudman
March 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Tone
I live in the heart of MoMo country and in order to have any MoMo girl you have to be converted first. New tubes, new caps, no independent volume control and you will always be run via midi from far away. Is that what you want?
I posted a larger photo. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=5347#post5347

duhvoodooman
March 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I posted a larger photo. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=5347#post5347
Uh-oh. Where'd I put my nitro???

Tone2TheBone
March 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Spud - Not only did I completely miss that zany thread with Rob's Metal Do...I also missed the part that explains MoMo girl. :)

ZoSo65
March 28th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Well, I finally made up my mind on 2,,,I think *pulling hair out*

It's either going to be the Delta Blues(not sure on which speaker config-1x15 or 2x10) or the ValveKing 212.

I've been reading a lot from VK owners being very happy with it. It also seems very versatile, especially for "external cabbing" (we got a couple over in the jam room I can mess with :p )
100 watts (rms) into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)
Four 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes

The DeltaBlues owners, well we know what they think :cool:
They're all happy with it! (right DVM)
30 watts into 16 or 8 ohms
Three 12AX7 and four EL84 tubes.

SuperSwede
March 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Tone
I live in the heart of MoMo country and in order to have any MoMo girl you have to be converted first. New tubes, new caps, no independent volume control and you will always be run via midi from far away. Is that what you want?
p=5347#post5347[/url]

Yes please, how do I join? Some kind of ritual ? Does it come with the free "I am a Mormon!" t-shirt which we all know and love ?

Tone2TheBone
March 29th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Ohhhh MoMo girl....ok now I get it. Doi.

duhvoodooman
March 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Ohhhh MoMo girl....ok now I get it.
You mean like, "With a rebel yell....mo', mo' mo'!!" :D

Tone2TheBone
March 29th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Lmao.......

ZoSo65
March 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Ok guys,,,think I'm gonna pull the trigger tonight :eek:

Peavey ValveKing 212
PODxt Live - got a deal on this ;)
BOSS TU-15 Tuner
DL-225 Coffin Case - need something to put "Black Betty" in :cool:

warren0728
March 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM
cool....i'll be interested in what you think of the valveking....

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
........the suspense is killing me.....

ZoSo65
March 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
........the suspense is killing me.....
YOU!!,,LOL

Trigger pulled,,be about a week

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Ok guys,,,think I'm gonna pull the trigger tonight :eek:

Peavey ValveKing 212
PODxt Live - got a deal on this ;)
BOSS TU-15 Tuner
DL-225 Coffin Case - need something to put "Black Betty" in :cool:
The last time you pulled the trigger, I got shot in the shin!

Congrats, ZoSo!

warren0728
March 30th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Congrats, ZoSo!
tot...be glad his aim wasn't too good!

ww

duhvoodooman
March 30th, 2006, 07:49 AM
tot...be glad his aim wasn't too good!
Yeah, if he was Dick Cheney, you'd probably be dead right now! ;) :D

Slowhand
March 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I'll also experiment with closing the back and blow holes(in front)

ZoSo don't go putting Blow holes into a guitar amp. In hi-fi they tuned Ports that are tuned to a set frequency depending the size of cabinet but guitar amps don't require this just experiment with open or closed back( these need to be airtight as it's the pressure created that makes the difference)

Tone2TheBone
March 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM
YOU!!,,LOL

Trigger pulled,,be about a week

....you got the ValveKing then? Luckyyyyy :)

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM

to_tard, I thought it was your ankle!!!,,,,ROFLMAO

ZoSo don't go putting Blow holes into a guitar amp. In hi-fi they tuned Ports that are tuned to a set frequency depending the size of cabinet but guitar amps don't require this just experiment with open or closed back( these need to be airtight as it's the pressure created that makes the difference)
Slowhand, I was only going to do this if I got the Vox AD100VT,,,If I do anything with the ValveKing, it'll only be speaker and tube upgrade.

....you got the ValveKing then? Luckyyyyy
Yeppers VK 212. Why lucky though?

Yeah, if he was Dick Cheney, you'd probably be dead right now!
LOL,,how true, and I'd still be a free man!!!

Oh yeah,,has it been a week yet? :eek: :rolleyes:

Tone2TheBone
March 30th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yeppers VK 212. Why lucky though?

Why NOT luckyyyyy. Getting any amp is a lucky thing. :)

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Why NOT luckyyyyy. Getting any amp is a lucky thing. :)
I hear that! I just hope everything pans out right off the bat,,if not, they have a great return policy ;)

Oh yeah,,I went through Sam Ash, Only because whe I lived up north(Phila., PA) I delt with them all the time and never had any problems.

Tone2TheBone
March 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM
What is the amps compliment? 2 6l6s and 3 12ax7s or something?

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
What is the amps compliment? 2 6l6s and 3 12ax7s or something?
4 x 6L6GC and 3 x 12AX7
Don't know exactly what name tubes, but that can easily be changed ;)

Tone2TheBone
March 30th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Oh 4 power tubes. Sweet. Take pics to post when you get it.

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Believe you me,,I will,,,and probably a few sound clips too.

Spudman
March 30th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Slowhand
I have a problem with your statement about speaker cabinets, and I would like to say that technology has come a little bit farther. Check out Ear Candy's speaker cabinet designs. http://www.earcandycabs.com/sovereign.htm
These guys have it figured out. Their 1x12 cabinets will destroy a 4x12 or come very close, and they do so with baffled cabinets.
I do agree with you about just poking holes in your baffle. Doing so could possibly alter the frequency curve of the existing cabinet in a bad way. When in doubt purchase the correct design or just don't do anything of this nature.

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I hear that spud,,,and believe me I wouldn't have just poked holes in the cab without doing some further research,,,high end fidelity speaker cabs or amp cabs. Ya'know what I mean?!

Spudman
March 30th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Gotcha!
"Rome if you want to." Aren't the B52's from Rome? I used to live in Savanna a long time ago. Sometimes I miss the red dirt...not. My mom would get so mad trying to get my clothes clean.

SuperSwede
March 31st, 2006, 06:57 AM
Spud, I wonder what makes the dirt so red. Iron oxide?

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2006, 07:33 AM
I wonder what makes the dirt so red. Iron oxide?
Yes. Other red minerals are unlikely to be present in enough quantity to turn the dirt red in such a large area. Specifically, the red color in Georgia clay is from unhydrated iron oxides:

Why are Georgia Soils Red? (http://www.ga.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/soils/red.html)

Hey, what can I tell you--I'm a chemist by education and a picker by the grace of God! :D

Tone2TheBone
March 31st, 2006, 09:15 AM
There are a lot of places in NM that have red dirt and sand like that. Exposed mesas in hues of red are sweet.

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yes. Other red minerals are unlikely to be present in enough quantity to turn the dirt red in such a large area. Specifically, the red color in Georgia clay is from unhydrated iron oxides:

Why are Georgia Soils Red? (http://www.ga.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/soils/red.html)

Hey, what can I tell you--I'm a chemist by education and a picker by the grace of God! :D

And it's hard as a friggin rock!!! No more manual digging for me anymore :D
Not like the dirt I was raised in up north,,LOL

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 06:18 PM
Gotcha!
"Rome if you want to." Aren't the B52's from Rome? I used to live in Savanna a long time ago. Sometimes I miss the red dirt...not. My mom would get so mad trying to get my clothes clean.
Found this about the B52's

The band met in Athens, GA and are credited with being one of the break-out acts to emerge from that scene. However the B’s left Athens for New York soon after the release of their first album in 1979. Currently the members of the band reside in New York, with the exception of Cindy who still calls Georgia home.

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2006, 01:30 AM

Very interesting Voodoo... So have you picked anything interesting lately?

ZoSo65
April 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Hmm, just found this little tid-bit about the speakers in the VK.

Black Widow, Scorpion, and Sheffield Speakers are manufactured in-house by Peavey.
The ValveKing speaker was designed in-house.

Slowhand
April 1st, 2006, 09:37 AM
Slowhand I have a problem with your statement about speaker cabinets,
I was Just trying to save Zoso a load of trouble with the AD100, I should have said Most cabinets don't have tuned ports And it's not a good idea to just "Try" as they are not to easy to work out and not always needed

ZoSo65
April 8th, 2006, 07:27 AM
WOOHOO!! My amp and stuff finally arrived!!! This baby sounds sweet!
I'll post some pics later today.

Robert
April 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Is that the Valve King 212 you just got? Anxious to hear your thoughts on it.

Nelskie
April 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Is that the Valve King 212 you just got?
I played one of those at my local shop, and I liked it . . . ALOT! Fantastic tone! Had I not already been fully involved with my Classic 30 rig, chaces are that a VK would have been instantly residing in my own studio. Zoso, I'm look forward to your posts regarding this fantastic piece of gear.

ZoSo65
April 8th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I was only able to mess with it for about an hour today, this thing is friggin LOUD! and I only had it up to 3 on the Richter scale!! :eek:
There's no way I can push the tubes in the house here without an attenuator, I'll end up blowing the windows out,,,LOL
It sounds really good tone wise. I can't wait to get it over to the jam room and let it breath.
I haven't even messed with the PODxt Live yet :rolleyes:

ZoSo65
April 10th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Im gonna try and post these through our attachment thinggy here:
There Sovtechs in there ;) An upgrade might be real soon in the future.
I know, last one isn't an amp, but I figured I gotta show ya what "Black Betty" sleeps in now. ;)

warren0728
April 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM
congrats zoso...tubeage is great!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
April 10th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Im gonna try and post these through our attachment thinggy here:
There Sovtechs in there ;) An upgrade might be real soon in the future.
I know, last one isn't an amp, but I figured I gotta show ya what "Black Betty" sleeps in now. ;)
Sweet ZoSo!!!!

I guess she'll sleep during the day & wander the halls during the night wailing!

ZoSo65
April 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Sweet ZoSo!!!!

I guess she'll sleep during the day & wander the halls during the night wailing!
Yeah really,,,,she'll be wailing with me,,,the only way!!! ;)

ZoSo65
April 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well, the VK212 is going back, it's just too powerful for what I need right now, I will miss it :(
But on a brighter note a DeltaBlues 210 is on it's way!! :DR

Matt
April 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Ive looked at the valve kings before- apparently good quality low cost tube amps that are suitable for gigging. of course with the 212, you would be able to do a staduim...but still :P give us some sound snippets when you get the new amp

regards

Matt

warren0728
April 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM
i'm sure the Delta Blues 210 will be awesome....Heck i'm loving my classic 20 which is way loud at 15 watts with 1X10....at 30 watts with 2X12's the Delta Blues should be spectacular!

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Well, the VK212 is going back, it's just too powerful for what I need right now, I will miss it :(
But on a brighter note a DeltaBlues 210 is on it's way!! :DR

.......... :O

ZoSo65
April 13th, 2006, 11:17 PM
OK guys, one more post from me on this thread,,,,I delayed the shipping back of the ValveKing 212 for one day, so we(my friends and I) could jam with it.
OK, like I said, that's something I wanted to do so she could "breath". Well, with 2 other guitars, a bass, and drummer,,,the VK only at 12 o'clock(5 on the dial) was standing out like I was playing to an old phonograph,,,literally! It was truly amazing!
A couple of other friends stopped by and we had Black Betty and a 69 SG plugged in at the same time,,,VK didn't even blink!!!!
My hat off to Peavey for making such an excellent piece of equipment at a very affordable price, and it's built with quality to boot!!!!
If it didn't have the clarity that it does, you would think it was from the XXX line, and very close too, if not on, the 6505 line and the JSX,,,might sound unreal, but it's true!!
We also had Black Betty and an LP Studio going at the same time,,again,,unbeleivable!!! Also for sh*ts and giggles I plugged an Ibanez bass(active) into it, what a thumper!!! It's got tone up the wazoo!
The only thing that's bad, just for me(as I metioned before), it's just too much for me at this time, but atleast I found out what it can do, and BOY it can do it all!!!
I can only imagine what the DeltaBlues will be like for now, if it's anything like the ValveKing at 70 watts less, it'll kick booty!!!! And be perfect for what I need at the same time.
hey Nelskie, if you get the chance and cash, get the VK212, you won't be sorry!!!!
The 112's had/have a couple issues, but they are easily resolved, if not fixed by Peavey at this point, I even found a couple of mods first hand that allows for a bias adjustment,,but according to one of Peavey's top tech, bias is just about coming a thing of the past, with the new technology,,,he even went to mention about "matched" tubes and how it's basically a waste,,,eg. "take one of your matched tubes and shake it really hard,,,now it's not matched,,,shipping of them, amp movement,,etc etc,,,do the same thing ;)
I mentioned before that Sovtesks are in most of the Peaveys being shipped, and according to this tech, they are not matched at all, which makes sense according to his "shakem' up" theory(which is right, only because I know a little about electronics) but an upgrade, especially to a set of JJ's from Eurotubes (http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm) will make a hell of a differece, so will a speaker change.
Anyhoo,,,that's enough from me,,,LOL
Again ,,,I will miss the VK212, it's one awesome piece of fine equipment, as Peavey has always strived to be!

:DR

Nelskie
April 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM
hey Nelskie, if you get the chance and cash, get the VK212, you won't be sorry!!!! :DR
Zoso - I played one of those Valve Kings at my local shop a while back, and I liked it a lot. Not only did it have the nice, chunky grind that I like, but the clean stuff was exceptionally good - glassy, toneful, definitive. The VK's variable Class A/AB texture control is another tasty little feature that offers some very cool tonal benefits.

I know guys who are spending several thousand dollars to get an amp that sounds as good as this one does. How Peavey can do it for $579 (2x12) is beyond me.

Right now, I'm not in the market for another amp. But if I was, you can bet that Peavey's Valve King line would be high on my list. It's a tube-powered monster that loves to rattle the rafters! That alone gets high marks in my book! ;)

blogan
April 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Zoso, 1/3 the power can still be very loud!!! :eek: For more information on getting tube tone at lower volumes, check out Amptone (http://www.amptone.com/).

warren0728
April 14th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Zoso, 1/3 the power can still be very loud!!! :eek: For more information on getting tube tone at lower volumes, check out Amptone (http://www.amptone.com/).
great link blogan!

ww

ZoSo65
April 16th, 2006, 07:53 PM
great link blogan!

ww
I concur, without a doubt!,,,Thank You blogan!!!

blogan
April 17th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks, guys! Amptone is a great site. :R I just wish it was updated with all the great low-power amps that are now available. :cool:

blogan
April 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM
So, Zoso, when does the DeltaBlues arrive? :R I've been waiting to hear your opinion on it.

ZoSo65
April 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM
So, Zoso, when does the DeltaBlues arrive? :R I've been waiting to hear your opinion on it.
The VK just arrived there this morning, so I'm assuming the DB has been shipped this afternoon. That's what I was told would happen. So, it should only be a couple days.

Nelskie
April 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I do promote digital technology that coordinates with such physical gear, and I do support ongoing development of digital processing design and ergonomics, even though POD-type processing by itself sounds totally fake and unlistenable. Given that I have a tall stack of albums with authentic miked cranked-amp tone, there is no way I can justify suffering through fake processed tone; it's not competent
. . . And so the webmaster from Amptone.com came down from the mountain, clutching the stone tablets against his breast, having heard the words from the almighty gods of guitar tone. Let no man suffer through fake, processed tone, for it is totally unlistenable, and those who use it incompetent.

Well, if that wasn't enough of the high-and-mighty for one day, I then came across this little tidbit in Mr. Amptone's "Spirit of Amptone" State Of The Union address - *ahem* . . . *haarrrummmpph* . . .

Soon the whole guitar industry will be speaking the language I am teaching: the language of the middle-level analysis of rigs and Tone design, the block-diagram level which must centrally feature Bradshaw concepts and rack-inspired diagrams though these diagrams often now are centered around conventional amps and pedals.
My, my, my - those are both very bold statements. :rolleyes:

Yes, Fretters, Amptone.com is a website chock-full of great information, albeit geared towards the classic, more traditional tube-powered amp designs. However, I, too, have a tall stack of albums, but see absolutely no reason to shun technology for the sake of spite, or even for the sake of general snobbery. The POD is what it is, and let me tell ya', it sounds damn good to me, as well as about a million other guitar players!! As a matter of fact, I'd even dare Mr. Amptone to go into the evil laboratories of Line 6, and see if his jaded ears could tell the difference between a real, honest-to-goodness vintage tube amp, and one of the Vetta II / Pod XT's fantastic, digitally-modeled creations.

As long as there's gear, there'll be people who think they know everything about everything. How it should sound. What's cool. What's best. The true test of good gear is very simply this: how do you think it sounds? In other words, learn to trust your own judgements regarding tone, sound, gear, etc., because in the long run, it's you that has to be satisfied with it - not someone like Mr. Amptone. ;)

Anyways - just thought that was a point worth mentioning. It is a great website, by the way - in case you were wondering what I thought. Its the sermonizing I could really do without.

blogan
April 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM
. . . And so the webmaster from Amptone.com came down from the mountain %< snip %< . . .

My, my, my - those are both very bold statements. :rolleyes:

%< snip %<

As a matter of fact, I'd even dare Mr. Amptone to go into the evil laboratories of Line 6, and see if his jaded ears could tell the difference between a real, honest-to-goodness vintage tube amp, and one of the Vetta II / Pod XT's fantastic, digitally-modeled creations.

I agree. Sometimes I feel the same about those who claim differences between tube and SS amps, or between capacitor types or resistor types, etc... I wish the US guitar magazines would perform blind tests using both supposed experts and newbies to determine what type of amp is behind the curtain. I suspect they don't do this because the resulting blasphemy might result in loss of advertising dollars.

However, before you think I'm a complete tone heretic, I recognize that there are differences between live and recorded music. To analogize using pianos/keyboards (my first instrument), it can be very hard to tell the difference between a recorded miked concert grand and a recorded midi keyboard playing a sampler with a concert grand patch (maybe even impossible for most). It's much easier to hear the difference in a live setting. Even if you can't easily hear the difference live, for me, the difference in feel between a grand piano and a midi keyboard is HUGE! The way the keys feel, the infinite variation in volume, just the piano's presence...I will always give a better performance on the grand piano.

I suspect this is the same for those who prefer tube amps. So back to your point, I may not be able to hear the difference between a recorded tube amp and a recorded POD XT, but will the performer feel the difference? And will that feel result in a better performance on the tube amp?

ZoSo65
April 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
hmm, sounds like someone at amptone has a serious case of tunnel vision, or should I say tunnel hearing :D

,,even though POD-type processing by itself sounds totally fake and unlistenable.
(wise guy comeback),,,of course it does, you need to plug a guitar in to it first,,,DOH! :DR

Nelskie
April 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
... but will the performer feel the difference? And will that feel result in a better performance on the tube amp?
You make a very valid point, blogan. And no, I do not think you're a total heretic for thinking the way you do. But your point of "feel" is somewhat along the same lines as the point I was trying to make. There are many avenues of thought when it comes to guitar tone, tube-powered, solid state, hybrid, etc., and really, there is no right answer. I know plenty of guys who play solid state stuff and sound fantastic. Same thing with dudes I know who play nothing but tube-powered gear. All of them have an amazing feel for their music, and can turn on the mojo no matter what's powering the speaker.

As far as sound is concerned, having a discerning ear for a particular type of amp tone does not always equate itself into having a good "feel" for a song, or style of music; and vice-versa. Feel is derived from a great many other things besides amp tone, although it is a big part of the general equation of producing music that sounds good. There is also some subjectivity on the point of a guitarist giving a better performance due to using a tube amp vs. a solid state, or hybrid, or whatever. Throw a POD in front of Keith Richards, and tell him that his pair of original vintage Fender Twins are being shoveled, he'd probably have you tied and quartered. Me, on the other hand, it makes no difference whether my all-tube Classic 30 is behind me, or its my POD XT and Tech 21. I'm looking for good tone, and that's that. If it's sounding good, then the feel seems to naturally follow suit.

What amp / tube purists might fail, or not seek to understand is that the POD is not trying to be a vintage amp, or even a tube amp for that matter. The technology that is designed into the POD emulates each particular tone, meaning that it is a semblance thereof, and not the exact thing. The characteristics of how certain types of circuitry interact with those particular parameters are also electronically & digitally designed. What results is a tone with the characteristics of the original, which when weighed against the prospects of tracking down an original '58 Bassman, well - you know what I'm saying. It just does what it does - kinda' like the supermodel on the commercial who ask you not to hate her because she's beautiful.

So, would I play any differently through a tube amp vs. a POD? Well, to tell you the truth, no - I probably wouldn't. The reason behind that is that the amp is only part of the play / feel equation. Some of the other things you could throw into that mix include the type / model guitar, the type of music being played, the style of the guitarist, as well as style and contributions of the other band members. The venue also plays a big part of that, too, as tone reacts differently to rooms / auditoriums of varying sizes. So, as you seel, the "feel thing" can stem from any one, or combination of different factors.

Tube and solid state sounds also react differently in a tonal sense, and as such, there may be a perceptive difference to someone hearing it, though I would think that it might also depend on the person hearing it. For the tube amp afficianado in the front row, shooting me evil glances as my little red bean does its best to re-create the magic of a two-thousand dollar plus vintage tube rig, it probably won't cut the cake. To the casual listener in back, digging a cool blues vibe, he could care less if that small-watt, vintage tweed amp tone is courtesy of Line 6's army of MIT-educated amp freaks, or Cecil Hightower's Mega-Buck Collectible Amp Emporium. If I'm doing my job as a player, and the POD is doing its job as a pre-amp, what's coming out should be pretty darn close to the real deal sound-wise. In other words, if it looks like chicken, smells like chicken, and tastes like chicken, your brain will tell you that there's a good chance that what you're eating is chicken. Me - I'm having fun any way you look at it, most especially knowing that the tube dude is hating it to no end. :D

We all have our ideas as far as what we think sounds good, as well as what works for us. And really, that's part of the beauty of playing guitar, or any instrument for that matter - finding your own way.

Tim
April 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Nelskie - You continuously amaze me with your excellent writing abilities. Have you ever thought about writing reviews for a magazine or to critique products? You have a gift my friend. Just thought I’d let you know what I was thinking.

duhvoodooman
April 18th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Nelskie - You have a gift my friend.
I've told him the same thing! Best writer on the forum, by far. Still haven't heard any of his pickin', though! ;) :D

tot_Ou_tard
April 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Nice rant Nelsk.

I was in GC last weekend and I wanted to try a Schecter CSH-1 semihollow. The GC dude asked me which amp I wanted to use & I said a VOX AD30VT so that I could hear it through the amp that I have (albeit mine has a Celestion G10). When we got to that aisle there were a coupla' preeteens pretending to wail on the opposing Spyder II so I decided to move on & stumbled upon a vintage Fender Super Reverb. Well why not?!?

We plugged it into the clean channel & set the volume to about 1 1/2 - 2 and I started "playing" (I'm a total novice). It was the first tube amp I ever used. Man she sounded sweet! Rich, balanced, warm, & sparkly. Just incredibly good. Who needs dirty with cleans this sweet? I wandered back to the AD30VT after the wolves had finished ravaging their prey. No go, it sounded harsh & no amount of twiddling could get me anywhere near the SR.

Clearly, money can buy tone. Some say it is all in the fingers, but since I can't change my fingers it is reasonable to ask how best to purchase a bit of tone on the side. I can't afford the SR but it got me wondering how much of that sound was due to the tube & how much was the speakers & cab.

warren0728
April 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
tot,

next time you are at GC plug into the epi valve jr or the standard. A real cheap way to get into a tub amp.

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM
ToT - While I love modeling amps (and own one) there is still nothing like the feel and sexy tone of burning tubes. So in the words of Ferris Bueller..."it is so choice...if you have the means...I highly recommend picking one up."

6STRINGS 9LIVES
April 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
i'd look at a fender vibro champ 5 watts and an 8" speaker , made between 64-78, the circuitry remained basically unchanged throughout that period the only major changes were the construction of the cabinet and the cosmetics , blackface from 64-67 , silverface 68-78 the early cabinet construction of the blackface models was of solid pine boards later changed to laminated pine , the early blackface vibro champs sound best to me , all tube, class a, point to point, and hand wired , and a absolute tone machine that takes pedals very well .. there have been many great recordings made with these amps and their tone is legandary .. the vintage market for these amps is very hot and prices run from 250-800 , a nice all original blackface vibro champ will probably run you 500.. but you will have a vintage fender amp with all that clean tone and tremelo and the 5 watts when turned up crunch and break up so sweet .. maybe my overall favourite fender amp and i own quite a few vintage fenders , the real up side is that if you buy an original piece it wont go down in value it will only appreciate and they are very easy to resell if you choose .. these amps are the perfect entry into the world of fender tube tone , and once there you wont ever look back , 6S9L

Nelskie
April 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Nice rant Nelsk.
rant - n - a loud bombastic declamation expressed with strong emotion

2. A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence

3. To speak or write in a angry or violent manner; rave.

Rant? Hmmmm . . . ? Actually, I thought I was rather diplomatic and open-minded about my the points I expressed in my post. True, there was the ever-present lure of a bit of good-natured sarcasm to keep things on the lighter side. However, such remarks were balanced with a deserved nod of approval to Amptone for the quality and wealth of information at their site, which I honestly think would further disqualify it as a "rant".

So, to the angry hordes of Fretters now marching on Amptone headquarters, throw down your torches and pitchforks! Return to your homes at once!

warren0728
April 20th, 2006, 05:00 AM
ToT - While I love modeling amps (and own one) there is still nothing like the feel and sexy tone of burning tubes. So in the words of Ferris Bueller..."it is so choice...if you have the means...I highly recommend picking one up."
what he said....i love my vox but the day i brought home that little 5 watt epi valve jr. and plug in straight from the guitar and hit a note i was hooked. Its also when i discovered the volume knob on my guitar....ran the amp at about 2 o'clock for nice tube breakup distortion and then with a simple roll back of my guitar volume knob it cleaned right up with not much loss of volume.....sweet!

then when i picked up the peavey classic 20 all tube amp at a pawn shop....i became a tube convert....not sure i will ever get a ss modelling amp again....but i am keeping the vox.

ww

tot_Ou_tard
April 20th, 2006, 08:17 PM
rant - n - a loud bombastic declamation expressed with strong emotion

2. A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence

3. To speak or write in a angry or violent manner; rave.

Rant? Hmmmm . . . ? Actually, I thought I was rather diplomatic and open-minded about my the points I expressed in my post. True, there was the ever-present lure of a bit of good-natured sarcasm to keep things on the lighter side. However, such remarks were balanced with a deserved nod of approval to Amptone for the quality and wealth of information at their site, which I honestly think would further disqualify it as a "rant".

So, to the angry hordes of Fretters now marching on Amptone headquarters, throw down your torches and pitchforks! Return to your homes at once!

Ahhh, now Nelsk don't get lexicographical on me! I was wiggling a finger in the general direction of the word *after* the semicolon in meaning 3 above. To wit, rave.

Rant on, Bud!

tot_Ou_tard
April 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM

I will at some point but I would have to try a lot first. The epi sounds like a good bet for lower volume overdrive, but for sweet luscious cleans I'd probably have to go elsewhere.

It seems like the ideal amp would be a high wattage amp with HUGE clean headroom for cleans at any volume with a small wattage amp like the nano head in front for tube overdrive.

tot_Ou_tard
April 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM
i'd look at a fender vibro champ 5 watts and an 8" speaker , made between 64-78, the circuitry remained basically unchanged throughout that period the only major changes were the construction of the cabinet and the cosmetics , blackface from 64-67 , silverface 68-78 the early cabinet construction of the blackface models was of solid pine boards later changed to laminated pine , the early blackface vibro champs sound best to me , all tube, class a, point to point, and hand wired , and a absolute tone machine that takes pedals very well .. there have been many great recordings made with these amps and their tone is legandary .. the vintage market for these amps is very hot and prices run from 250-800 , a nice all original blackface vibro champ will probably run you 500.. but you will have a vintage fender amp with all that clean tone and tremelo and the 5 watts when turned up crunch and break up so sweet .. maybe my overall favourite fender amp and i own quite a few vintage fenders , the real up side is that if you buy an original piece it wont go down in value it will only appreciate and they are very easy to resell if you choose .. these amps are the perfect entry into the world of fender tube tone , and once there you wont ever look back , 6S9L

6S9L, is an 8" speaker large enough to let the music breath? Is there a cheaper modern amp with similar characteristics?

frankno89
February 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM
The VoxAD100VT has software problems. Wish I knew that before I bought one. The volume cuts off intermittently. The effects do not lock in, in other words, you may have the amp set to compression, but the wah wah effect comes up. The amp settings are the same way. You may have it set to UK and the AC30 pops in. Really unreliable. I bought it because it had better tone than the Marshall and Line 6 modelling amps. Wish I did not sell my 1967 Ampeg VT22, but it was more power than I needed and weighed a ton.

Hope this helps.

Let me start by saying hello to everyone as this is my first post here, nice forums BTW ;)

Vox-AD100VT
Line 6-Flextone III Plus
Fender-Deluxe 900 DSP

I'll basically be using it for practice sessions and small gigs.

I'm looking for any kind of info on them, you know pros, cons, if anyone owns one, your experiences, etc.

Thanks
ZoSo65

Duffy
February 14th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I have a Fender Super Champ XD tube amp with a digital insertion of amp models and effects into the signal chain. I don't believe it is the same approach at all, as the Vox chromies and so forth have - valvetronics.

The Valvetronics and chromies have super complicated designs with expansive circuitry and several types of current and all sorts of circuits going on. There are a lot of component design elements and all sorts of things that can go wrong that can be extremely difficult to diagnose, isolate, and, if possible even, fix. These amps are super complicated.

I have a Vox DA5 that is a really cool amp and I have had to do some minor work inside it. It is super complicated as well with stuff directly mounted to the circuit board, such as the power supply jack and so forth. Luckily I was able to fix my power supply jack by soldering the cracked solder trace on the pcb that cracked from the power supply cord where it enters the socket getting bumped or something, causing the jack to put pressure on the pcb board and micro crack the solder trace. Luckily I was able to get to it, see what was going on and fix it myself.

I love that little Vox but it doesn't hold a candle to the dependability of the Fender SCXD, which amp techs tell me should be able to be fixed for many many years to come due to its simple design, comparatively speaking.

This is why amps like Hot Rod Deluxes and Blues Juniors will probably be able to be fixed for many years to come, and the handwired ones as well, supposedly. The ones made in America by Fender and Peavey, etc., have part sources that apparently agree to supply components for a long time; whereas the overseas, far Eastern plants make the amps from parts sourced out from companies close to their plants. These sources are often unknown to Fender and Peavey, etc. Therefore getting the parts to fix these amps after the initial production is often impossible. Seriously, as unreasonable as it may seem.

So, from my view, and my future plans; it is wise to get an amp that is made in America and is of a comparatively simple design and able to be fixed for a long time from now. Usually these are amps like Blues Juniors, Valve Juniors, a lot of traditional Fender amps, even the Fender Supersonic; Peavey USA made Delta Blues and Classic thirties, etc.

Then you just put your digital or analog pedals in front of them or in the loop to get all sorts of models that are probably way better than the Valvetronics, Vypyrs, etc.

This way you have a very dependable expensive amp that can be repaired for a long time and a relatively inexpensive, usually, digital multipedal that can be replaced inexpensively or replaced by a new version or different, possibly way better digital or analog multipedal or individual pedals or pedal boards.

I would buy a Valvetronics or Chromie if I could get a brand new one on a great blow out deal. I think it would be a great, largely disposable amp. But paying BIG money for one, like nine hundred dollars or five hundred dollars or even less, but a lot; I don't think it makes for a prudent decision. However, I'm sure many of us have proven me wrong by having these type amps for many many years without any problems. I also don't think they stand up to touring and giging well because of all the rough conditions of the road.

Not to sound like a presumptuous know it all, I have thought about it a lot and believe that super complicated, digital, computerized amps are reliability risks that have to be considered in respect to the purchase price, which is often quite expensive: expensive enough for one to purchase a real good more traditional, simpler designed Vox AC fifteen, Hot Rod Deluxe, or any of a wide range of long known, consistently mfg'd amps that have a history of being able to be repaired cost effectively.

Hope my ideas are of some use to someone and don't get too many other members p***** off.

deeaa
February 14th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I definitively agree Duffy, and that was the main concern of mine when I bought my last amp. it was between a marshall jvm and a handbuilt simple el84 Ceriatone. I loved the jmv but I figured I would want an amp that will last me a lifetime and not give me grief even after 20 years of use. I shudder to think of servicing a jmv 20 years from now. I figure, I can get me a jmv or whatever too some day, but havingowned nd played so many amps over the first 20 years I've played, I felt I finally need to buy an all new quality amp I can count on and play for the rest of my life and leave to my sons some day :-)

the Ceriatone is simple, but it has the basic sound that's pure ultimate tubeamp all the way and I can use pedals and get anything out of it. I still might getthe jmv too, a and hopefully many more amps as well...but I'm so glad I bought what I did.

Eric
February 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM

When you are starting out, you really have no idea what you like. I've messed with just about every amp type on the Vox, but lately have settled into the UK70 for metal/rock tones, the Tweed 4x10 for blues, and the Boutique CL for clean tones. BUT, it took me a year and a half (and the addition of an overdrive pedal) to come to these conclusions.

Note that I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. In the beginning I raved about the NuMetal amp, but now I don't use it as much.
I know this thread is old and has just been revived, but I thought I'd give you a big +1 on this. I had (and, in many ways, still have) very little idea what I actually like. There are SO many options out there, and nobody wants to admit that they have no idea what they want when they are starting out.

I suppose you're a tube convert now that you have your Jet City, but the point of this was just to say that I agree with a lot of what you said.

Commodore 64
February 20th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I'm glad this thread got revived, because there was a ton of great info in it, that I would have never read otherwise!