PDA

View Full Version : 'ello there!

ZoSo65
March 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
aye everyone,
just found this site and think it's great, very friendly and helpful people here.

I've been messin' with the guitar for a few years now on an Ibanez X-series DT350.
Well recently I decided to get serious and built my first guitar, finished it 2 weeks ago, and it came out pretty good, personally I love it.
Here's a couple pics of it.

http://home.comcast.net/~mrzoso/finished.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mrzoso/finishedrear.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mrzoso/finneckplate.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mrzoso/fincon.jpg

And the specs:

Body is walnut with an Avonite deck. String through(body) design.
Neck is Hardrock Maple, Ebony fret board, 22 Jumbo frets(6100 wire) White pearloid dots. Graphtech nut.
Body and neck are finished with 15 coats of Black and Clear stringed instrument laquer(except for the Avonite deck which is polished)
Sperzel staggered locking tuners, with black pearloid tuner buttons.
TonePros System II Locking TOM bridge.
Bridge Pickup- EMG 89 with switchable single coil mode, controlled by push/pull volume pot.
Neck Pickup- EMG 81
EMG-SPC (Strat Presence Control) basically a small equalizer, controlled with lower knob on stacked pot(upper knob is tone).
EMG-Pi2 (active phase reversal circuit), controlled by mini toggle switch.
Ernie Ball Super Slinky RPS 9 strings.

Anyhoo, enough about me, I'm just glad I found this place *bigsmile*

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Cool axe man. Welcome to the fret. Enjoy.

Robert
March 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Wow, cool! I love that picture on that face plate thing!

Enjoy the Fret - you are among good people here.

How did you discover our little corner of the Net?

Guitar-Chris
March 21st, 2006, 12:55 AM
aye everyone,
just found this site and think it's great, very friendly and helpful people here.

Cool axe, and welcome to the frets ZoSo.

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2006, 02:26 AM
Supercool guitar!
Welcome the the best forum on the web :)

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 06:00 AM
Zo,

Welcome to thefret....you will like it here!

Beautiful guitar....a real work of art. How does that baby sound?

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 07:38 AM
Welcome!!

I dub that guitar the...

Betty Page

Or perhaps the

Black Betty

Building your own guitar is an incredible idea!

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
Ahola,

How much does that baby weigh? Sweet axe.

ZoSo65
March 21st, 2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys.
I found the site through Google, looking for information on Vox amps, believe it or not.
Guitar weight I'm guessing is around 7-8lbs. I haven't actually put it on a scale. It's heavier then a Strat and a little lighter then an LP, if that helps any.
It sounds awesome, but I've only played it through a Roland track studio(forgot the model), and a Fender Deluxe 900 DSP, that's why that's one of my picks of the amps I'm looking at. I have a thread in the Amp forums looking for info on them.

I like the "Black Betty". I didn't think of that one yet,,heh

Zõ§õ

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Zoso, please upload some recordings so we can hear how it sounds! :)

ZoSo65
March 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM
Zoso, please upload some recordings so we can hear how it sounds! :)
I'm will, soon as I get a real amp for it, see my thread in the Amps forum. Also I won't be able to get to our jam room for a week and a half, the only guy with a key,,don't ask, LOL,,, went to Key West for his honeymoon.

Zõ§õ

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
I like the "Black Betty". I didn't think of that one yet,,heh
Zõ§õ

But you did put the Betty Page image there didn't you? Either that or the little goth elves got into your workshop at night...

ZoSo65
March 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
LOL,,yeah I put her there, I thought it would be a nice touch. It's photo-engraved in the neck plate using a "dot-matrix" type technology, I found it on ebay. It's actually pretty cool, different light gives it different characteristics, and at certain angles it looks like a negative.

Zõ§õ

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
LOL,,yeah I put her there, I thought it would be a nice touch. It's photo-engraved in the neck plate using a "dot-matrix" type technology, I found it on ebay. It's actually pretty cool, different light gives it different characteristics, and at certain angles it looks like a negative.

Zõ§õ
So you admit that you are a goth elf!!!

jes as I thought

-Montana

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
So you admit that you are a goth elf!!!

jes as I thought

-Montana

But what I really want to know is have you shaved and can you spit?

This'll rawk the comics world....a hard boiled western anti-hero comic with a guitar playing goth elf.

The only thing that I don't understand is whether zoSo there plays the bad guy or the sheriff.

alriiIIIiight sheriff draw

..............................................POP. .......

Ooowww! My shin, my shin!

ZoSo65
March 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
......POP........

Ooowww! My shin, my shin!
LOL! You silly little man!

tot_Ou_tard
March 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM
LOL! You silly little man!

Doooode! You're the elph not me!

I'm a tall rugged and muscular antihero!

You can tell by the way the moonlight glints off of my gold fillings when I spit.

..............spiiiit...........................

@@@****GLINT!!****@@@

Tim
March 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Hey ZoSo, nice avatar. I like the color blue. How did you make it?

ZoSo65
March 24th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks Tim.
I used Photoshop, and created a neon effect for the text and just adjusted the colors till I got the one you see.

Katastrophe
March 24th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I can see the reviews now...

"With this elph I get no screaming solos.":D

tot_Ou_tard
March 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I can see the reviews now...

"With this elph I get no screaming solos.":D

That

*sniff*
is the funniest thing

*BwaHahahHaa*

that I have heard in a long time!!!

....really makes me cry.

Avec cet elphe je trouve aucun solos hurlants!

In German & Swedish please! Pretty Puhleeeeze!

Chris & Robert & Super Swede, I'm counting on you....

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Yo! Check this out, not to harp on the noobie thing here, there's this gentleman that makes guitars with Corian,,OK I've talked to him a little before I made mine, ya' know asking for a littla advice on using the solid surface material and bonding it to the wood. Well his replys where kind of mono tone and self absorbing, atleast that's what I thought, especially for the fact that whe I first emailed him, telling him my interest of using solid surface and that I was going to try it, asking him which glue he used. Keep in mind, I've been working with these solid surfaces for 20 years, I know about the glues used to fuse these materials. His reply was basically "can't tell you my secrets", Well that kinda blew me away, as he was acting like I was trying to "steal" business", but I replied politly, no biggy to me.
OK well, I checked out his site thouroley, and he seems to be very biased, "what he does is the bestest" you can't do it better then me, kinda feal. Granted he's got some really good things going, but,,,you'll catch what I mean if you check his site out.
I sent him some pics and info of the axe I built, and this was his reply:

Looks good. That stuff adds some nice range to the sound doesn't it? Avonite doesn't have as much bite as the corian but the Walnut I am sure helped with that. Also I am sure that the Avonite helped those EMG's since they kill a lot of tone.

C'mon, you see what I see?!!!

Anyhoo, check his site out
CNTarasi (http://home.att.net/~cntarasi/)
But please don't do anything offending,,I don't think anyone here would though,,,great group of people here.

That's it,,heh

r_a_smith3530
March 30th, 2006, 11:41 PM
ZoSo, sorry that it has taken me so long to get around to welcoming you to the forum. I'm one of those "old farts" and I suffer from CRS Disease (Can't Remember Squat!).

Hey, that is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. If it sounds anything like it looks, it is both a winner and a keeper!

I look forward to hearing more.

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2006, 06:33 AM
Yo! Check this out, not to harp on the noobie thing here, there's this gentleman that makes guitars with Corian,,OK I've talked to him a little before I made mine, ya' know asking for a littla advice on using the solid surface material and bonding it to the wood. Well his replys where kind of mono tone and self absorbing, atleast that's what I thought, especially for the fact that whe I first emailed him, telling him my interest of using solid surface and that I was going to try it, asking him which glue he used. Keep in mind, I've been working with these solid surfaces for 20 years, I know about the glues used to fuse these materials. His reply was basically "can't tell you my secrets", Well that kinda blew me away, as he was acting like I was trying to "steal" business", but I replied politly, no biggy to me.
OK well, I checked out his site thouroley, and he seems to be very biased, "what he does is the bestest" you can't do it better then me, kinda feal. Granted he's got some really good things going, but,,,you'll catch what I mean if you check his site out.
I sent him some pics and info of the axe I built, and this was his reply:

C'mon, you see what I see?!!!

Anyhoo, check his site out
CNTarasi (http://home.att.net/~cntarasi/)
But please don't do anything offending,,I don't think anyone here would though,,,great group of people here.

That's it,,heh

Yeah, that seems rude.

What is avonite? Is it another kitchen counter material? Why did you choose those materials & more importantly what is the tone like.

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, that seems rude.

What is avonite? Is it another kitchen counter material? Why did you choose those materials & more importantly what is the tone like.
It's a blend of polyesters, basically a fairly dense kind of plastic. Yep, it's used for kitchen counters and more actually.
I chose it, just because I like the way it looked,,hehe,,simple enough ;)
I figured if it didn't sound good, I would've made a new body of solid wood.
Actually I'm thinking of making another one with a through body neck.
Tone is terrific, I can't wait to put it through the ValveKing, that'll be the real test!

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2006, 08:34 PM
It's a blend of polyesters, basically a fairly dense kind of plastic. Yep, it's used for kitchen counters and more actually.
I chose it, just because I like the way it looked,,hehe,,simple enough ;)
I figured if it didn't sound good, I would've made a new body of solid wood.
Actually I'm thinking of making another one with a through body neck.
Tone is terrific, I can't wait to put it through the ValveKing, that'll be the real test!
That's freakin' amazing ZoSo. I wonder what else you can make a guitar out of.

If this was 30 years ago you would have made it out of avacodo flormica with burnt orange shag trim!

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 09:08 PM
WOW, found a pic of my other axe.

http://home.comcast.net/~mrzoso/dt350.jpg

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 09:21 PM
ZoSo, sorry that it has taken me so long to get around to welcoming you to the forum. I'm one of those "old farts" and I suffer from CRS Disease (Can't Remember Squat!).

Hey, that is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. If it sounds anything like it looks, it is both a winner and a keeper!

I look forward to hearing more.
Thanks smithy!
CRS, yeah I think I got a touch of that,,,I think?

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 09:31 PM
I wonder what else you can make a guitar out of.
Oh yeah,, B.C. Rich makes a couple out of acrylic!
B.C Rich ACRYLIC SERIES (http://www.bcrich.com/bcrich_guitars/acrylic.asp)

ZoSo65
April 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Here's a pick of our jamroom/studio. I took it with a camera phone :p
This was pre-Black Betty,,,heh
I'll see if I can find some more ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~mrzoso/jamroom.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
April 4th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Here's a pick of our jamroom/studio. I took it with a camera phone :p
This was pre-Black Betty,,,heh
I'll see if I can find some more ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~mrzoso/jamroom.jpg
What's that on the ceiling & how did you get your elven magesty up there to paint it? Magic?

Spudman
April 4th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Cool! I love a great jam room. Yours looks great.

M29
April 9th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Hello Zõ§õ,

I had to write you and compliment you on your guitar build and also welcome, I just arrived here recently myself.

Congrats again and the nice build.

M29

ZoSo65
April 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks you M29 for the compliment! I really appreciate it!
I said it before and I'll say it again,,,there's a great group of people here, very friendly, helpful, and open minded, qualities that seem to be missing on some of the other sites I've ventured to for help.
"Help" was the reason of how I found TheFret.Net, and I'm really glad I found this site.
I'm not saying the other sites are "bad", but some seem to have a "click", some are just so full of "whacked" out opinions(not all bad though).
For example, one site I visit is, I guess you could say prejudice to a degree, not all the members mind you, but they seem to influence some members of those members too(make sense?). Point- Someone asked about an amp the happened to be made in China, by a reputable amp maker(Peavey), (and no it wasn't me, LOL)
One of the first responses was, "It was made in China"
So the guy with the question responds, ",,so what if it was made in China, what's that have to do with it?(and what I asked)" The guy responds, and I quote, "Study world history"
What kind of friggin answer is that!!!!! C'mon, some of these dudes have got a complex, or a personal thing going, plus it didn't help the guy asking for help! And to top it off, the thread ended up having nothing to do with the original question, it got hijacked, you could say.
I seen the same kind of thing with amps that have tubes mounted to IC boards (integrated circuit boards), calling them worthless, it ain't a real tube amp, etc, etc. C'mon, technology has taken leaps and bounds since the early days of tubes, VOX Valvetronix is a perfect example, and it'll get better.

Anyhoo, enough of my ranting :D and thank you again!
And Thank You Robert, for a great site!

Tim
April 10th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Words of wisdom well spoken there ZoSo. Here we are one happy family. We accept others by who they are, not what they can't afford. It's not about owning the big and expensive equipment, or I wouldn't be

ZoSo65
April 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
WOOT! VERY GOOD point Tim,,,kudos!!!