PDA

View Full Version : Wah Questions, please help

LJK825
March 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I recently purchased a Crybaby 535Q Wah Pedal. I am playing through a Vox AD30VT. No matter what I try, it does not sound right. It sounds more like a squeel with volume. The Vox amp has amp models and effects built in. Unfortunately, there is no real "Clean" channel, i am only able to select one of the models, and bypass the effects.

Please help me figure out what to do. I have read that because of the built in model, it wont sound right on that amp. Is this true? I have 1 week to bring it back to the store. The order I have it in my "chain" is just Guitar--Wah--Amp.

Thanks in advance.

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Do all the positions squeal? I have one myself and have no problems. Is it a new one? Try it into another amp if you can find one. You may have a bad cord also or bad pedal. It should sound quiet when off and it won't matter what mod you use on the Vox it should still work like a wah. It the boost on or off? Mess with that too.

LJK825
March 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Sorry, I will try to describe this a little better.

The wah is brand new. It does turn on, nd functions like it should (Boost, knob, and volume). There are definately noticable changes to the tone when all the features are played around with. I guess the "Squeel" i referred to earlier is not a mechanical noise, but rather a very distorted Wah sound. I have used other Wahs before, not on this particular amp, and the sweeps are very noticeable and sounds like a Wah. Unfortunately, I have recently moved out of state for work 3 weeks ago, and I do not know anyone here with an amp. I do not have any means to get to the nearest guitar store, and I would need to ship it back to musicansfriend in about a week.

I've read great reviews on the 535Q and I dont believe my pedal is defective at all. When the heel is back all the way, I get little sound. When its a bit foward, it sounds muddy, when its foward, it gets really high pitched and the volume jumps. When I try playing and rocking the pedal, the differences in range of the sweep is almost unnoticeable. I've tried every combination of settings these past 2 weeks. It sounds more like a volume pedal than a Wah.

I hope this clarified my original post.

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 09:20 PM
If the boost is activated and your guitar's pickups are micro-phonic it might produce a squeal. Check the boost. You might just have a bad pedal. They are good when they work. I only use one or two positions mainly but I like the boost function too. Otherwise a regular Crybaby is just fine. For the 535 price there are some other good pedals out there too.
Musicians Friend has a 45 day refund policy.

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Try one of these if you have to exchange at Musicians Friend.
The Crybaby Classic comes with the Fassel and is under 100 clams, true bypass.

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 10:05 AM
Are you running it with a battery? Maybe the battery is weak?

Spuds right, I have the Fasel Crybaby and I would recommend it in case you decide to exchange it.