PDA

View Full Version : Jimmie Vaughan

Bigbear
March 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Hey you folks... i quess everyone here knows Stevie Ray Vaughns albums really well..

but are you guys into Jimmie Vaughan at all?

I found his blues with the Fabolus Thunderbirds and then his solo blues albums to be great. Especially his solo albums.

Infact, I am strongly considering buying his Fender Signiture strat.

Lets not forget 6 strings down.... i'm positive that voodoo will know all the versions of that song that I know of aswell. :P

Spudman
March 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Uh oh! Another Strataholic. You are going to have to get a wristband if you get the guitar.
I saw Jimi before I even knew about Stevie. The T Birds opened for Eric Clapton when I saw him.

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2006, 02:30 AM
I love the Fabolus Thunderbirds. With the risk of getting flamed, I must say that I like Jimmy´s playing more than his brothers...

Tim
March 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM
Super Swede – You seem to leave yourself opened to be slammed a lot here lately. Jimmy better than Stevie ! Wow !! Talk about opening the door. Your winter truly has been very long has it not?

I also noticed Spudman mentioning a wrist band. Am I to guess that the wrist band is a fashion statement with Jimmy?

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 05:49 AM
imho....if jimmie had one tenth of srv's talent he would be twice as he good as he is today (at least).

If you watch the SRV Tribute DVD....jimmy almost sounds like a hack compared to the others (buddy guy, ec, bb king, and yes Robert Cray). Don't get me wrong....jimmie is a good player but he seems to force his leads and is no where near as smooth as the others.

Don'y worry...i'm wearing my flame retardant pajamas this morning so flame away!:D

JMHO,

ww

Tim
March 21st, 2006, 05:58 AM
Flame retardant pajamas! It’s 7:00 o’clock in the morning man. You should be out there walking the neighbor hood getting your exercise (in shorts and tee shirt of course) saying good morning to all the mothers walking their children to the school bus stop. There is an acceptable time when a man should lay down his guitar and walk away from his computer (for a short period of time mind you).

Bigbear
March 21st, 2006, 07:07 AM
I always found Jimmies playing to be well thought out and clean and precise.
His music is more soothing and makes you wanta relax, while Stevies is the kinda music that could raise the dead and make them do the twist.

I think, each deserves their own respect

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 07:13 AM
absolutely bigbear...both are great players...i actually liked jimmie better while he was with the thunderbirds.....

btw while srv "could raise the dead and make them do the twist." he was also a master of more mellow tunes too...riviera paradise, chitlins' con carne and of course lenny.

ww

ps....i'm kinda laughing at myself for critiquing players that are stratospheres above my pathetic playing skills! :D

duhvoodooman
March 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
If you watch the SRV Tribute DVD....jimmy almost sounds like a hack compared to the others (buddy guy, ec, bb king, and yes Robert Cray). Don't get me wrong....jimmie is a good player but he seems to force his leads and is no where near as smooth as the others.
Warren, what you have to realize is that Stevie Ray and Jimmie took almost diametrically opposed approaches to their blues playing styles. SRV embodied the in-your-face, pedal-to-the-metal style, while his brother Jimmie takes a very restrained, less-is-more approach. Cool vs. hot, so to speak. There's no doubt that it looks a lot easier and more basic, but everything I've read says that it's not--not at all. What I can tell you is that many knowledgeable fellow musicians and blues aficionados consider Jimmie among the elite blues players alive today. He was his brother's musical idol (among many others, like Hendrix, Albert King, Albert Collins, Lonnie Mack and more) and I read a recent quote from Eric Clapton stating that Jimmie was one of the blues players he respected the most. While it's largely a matter of personal preference which guitarists' playing excites you and which doesn't (and I personally much prefer SRV to Jimmie), that's not necessarily a reflection on skill and stature as a musician.

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM
oh i know he is a good player and i'm sure clapton respects him but i have to wonder if he would be as sucessful as he is now if stevie wouldn't have died. Yeah that's a controversial statement and i am not trying to diss jimmie, but i don't think he was nearly as popular or respected before stevie's death.

i may be wrong... but i didn't know much about (or heard much about) jimmie before stevie died. Maybe i was just so into stevie that i missed the jimmie popularity! I will say that i have the fabulous thunderbirds "Live From London" dvd and it is a great dvd. In fact....i think i liked jimmies playing on that dvd better than his current stuff.

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 09:40 AM
I've had the priviledge to see Jimmie several times here in town performing at a local club...intimate setting, and every one of those shows was awesome. I have a tremendous respect and admiration for him and his style. He is one hell of a bluesman and gentleman.

warren0728
March 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
I've had the priviledge to see Jimmie several times here in town performing at a local club...intimate setting, and every one of those shows was awesome. I have a tremendous respect and admiration for him and his style. He is one hell of a bluesman and gentleman.
i've never seen him live but if he comes down my way i will be checking him out because my son really likes him. From all the interviews i've seen of him he does seem to be a standup kinda guy.

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 10:11 AM
I can see the loss that he has suffered in his eyes everytime I look at him.

Yeah if you get the chance to see him do. If anything sit back and listen to his group. In that setting he shines. He's also got a killer little female latina blues singer that does a few songs with them too. Ayeeee Yi Yi. Check him out man...he's worth the price of admission and some beers.

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Tim, perhaps I should explain myself... I was not saying that Jimmy is a better guitarist than Stevie was. But what I mean is that I like Jimmy´s playing style and music better than Stevie´s.
He was a amazing guitarist, but I cannot play a entire CD of SRV at once.

Spudman
March 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM
I can't play an entire Stevie Ray Vaughn CD at once either...without crying.

Tim
March 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
Super Swede - Understand! Jimmy plays at a slower pace. Something I can dream of accomplishing one day. I saw him on the Crossroad DVD. He can play almost anything.

duhvoodooman
March 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
I can't play an entire Stevie Ray Vaughn CD at once either...without crying.
....and having an urge to sell all my equipment and take up crocheting! To quote that line from "Crossroads" (starring Joe Seneca & the Karate Kid!):

"He's been discouragin' a lot of up'n'comin' boys!"

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2006, 03:51 PM
Ok Legba! LMAO

Good movie btw....