PDA

View Full Version : 8804

wingsdad
January 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM
This is an instrumental piece that my fellow 'Washouts' are probably familiar with since it used to be posted at the Washburn forum.

It was written as a two-movement acoustic guitar 'suite' by a friend of mine from Connecticut that I've done some project work for. He laid down the 3 acoustic guitar (alvarez Yairi DY55) parts with a simple block & hi-hat rythm machine track, then sent it to our bassist in Sacramento, CA area to do his thing (Fender P-Bass), who in turn sent it to our keys guy in Memphis, TN who added vibes/marimba and a hot synth solo (Korg DX-something).

The 12 trax they'd used then came to me here in SoCal. I added bongos and shakers, then settled in to do the electric leads. Epi Sheraton II recorded direct through a Boss ME-50 to a Yamaha analog mixer with an inserted Samson Tube Preamp.

Then I edited, mixed & cooked the soup into this production.

All of us used a Yamaha AW16G DAW to record, and that's what I mixed with, using a few other outboard things.

No computers, except to convert the stereo mix to this 128kps mp3. If your player is Quicktime, it may do a 'burp' at the very start; just rewind & restart if that happens:

EDIT 5-19-09: fixed link to song:
8804 (http://www.box.net/shared/u6t7r3vl8f)

just strum
January 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Sounds just as fresh and good as the first time I heard it.:master:

oldguy
January 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
:AOK:

That is a well composed piece, very tasty w/ a good groove from beginning to end. Your playing, as well as your compadre's, all left "room for the other guy", and the recording quality was nice, very cool. I dug the percussion, gave it a latin/caribbean feel to me. :bravo:
Thanks for the sharing. :beer:

just strum
January 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Wingsdad,

I don't recall if you ever answered this over at the "W", but what does the title represent or mean?:confused:

Robert
January 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I think it refers to the number of retakes I need when trying to record something. :cry:

Nice sound on that recording. Very loose and pleasant.

Well done! :bravo:

wingsdad
January 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for comps on the recording, guys :)

The title is what it is because he wrote the middle movement (the acoustic guitar trio piece that runs from about 1:20 - 3:20) in 1988. He put it in the middle of the other stuff he wrote in 2004.

And thanks, OG, for noting that what you leave out is as important as what you put in. ;) I actually had done 3 different guitar parts, and left 2 on the floor (so to speak, in this digital domain age). I did a Strat/wah rhythm thing (think Curtis Mayfied) for '88', the middle section, buy decided to leave it out to put his acoustic work totally out front.

Steve206
January 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hey Mick,,,

I have 8804 on my Itunes and every once in a while, I end up back in your living room.

I am having a blast with my junior recording system. I am finding out that where I once used to think that I was pretty rthymic, now I am learning that there is more to playing along with percussion, than meets the eye/ear.

Are there any other gems sitting on the bookcase?

Steve

wingsdad
January 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Are there any other gems sitting on the bookcase?
I've been discussing that offline with another Fretter. I have some issues to deal with before I can, among them, where to park any clips to post...I know there's hosting sites like boxnet or whatever that is, but I'm seeking a more secure location..

As it is, I have permission from its writer/owner to post the link to '8804', where the clip resides on his personal website.

M29
January 14th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds Sweet wingsdad. Great feel and mix, very nice indeed:AOK:

M29

FrankAxtell
January 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
cool rhythmic feel...I dig it...:D

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
This is an instrumental piece that my fellow 'Washouts' are probably familiar with since it used to be posted at the Washburn forum.

It was written as a two-movement acoustic guitar 'suite' by a friend of mine from Connecticut that I've done some project work for. He laid down the 3 acoustic guitar (alvarez Yairi DY55) parts with a simple block & hi-hat rythm machine track, then sent it to our bassist in Sacramento, CA area to do his thing (Fender P-Bass), who in turn sent it to our keys guy in Memphis, TN who added vibes/marimba and a hot synth solo (Korg DX-something).

The 12 trax they'd used then came to me here in SoCal. I added bongos and shakers, then settled in to do the electric leads. Epi Sheraton II recorded direct through a Boss ME-50 to a Yamaha analog mixer with an inserted Samson Tube Preamp.

Then I edited, mixed & cooked the soup into this production.

All of us used a Yamaha AW16G DAW to record, and that's what I mixed with, using a few other outboard things.

No computers, except to convert the stereo mix to this 128kps mp3. If your player is Quicktime, it may do a 'burp' at the very start; just rewind & restart if that happens:

8804 (http://randycline.com/8804.mp3)

Wingsdad,

Unfortunately, the link you posted no longer works. I had a falling out with the the hoster of my website because it wasn't always available and I got tired of paying for "part time" availabilty.

Here's a new link to a higher quality mp3 version of 8804.

http://www.box.net/shared/u6t7r3vl8f

I also want to take this opportunity once again thank you for the time and effort you spent on this project. I also know that Ron and Chuck share my sentiment.

wingsdad
May 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Wingsdad,

Unfortunately, the link you posted no longer works. I had a falling out with the the hoster of my website because it wasn't always available and I got tired of paying for "part time" availabilty.

Here's a new link to a higher quality mp3 version of 8804.

http://www.box.net/shared/u6t7r3vl8f

I also want to take this opportunity once again thank you for the time and effort you spent on this project. I also know that Ron and Chuck share my sentiment.

60's-
I hadn't stopped by your site since posting this...so thanks for the box.net link. I went up to my opening post and fixed it there, too.

In your intro thread you said you tend to be impatient, or sumthin' like that....:thwap: you (and Ron & Chuck) had tons of it to put up with my futzing so long with this gem of yours. Your 'dueling acoustics' in this still 'wow' me every time I listen.:AOK: :beer: