PDA

View Full Version : Vent your setup/string choice issues here

Moshe
January 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hi,

Well I've been playing a telecaster for about 2+ years and had been struggling with my sound and setup. Am I the only one who changes things around a lot? First I wasn't really happy with the sound, it was too mellow. I like a snarly sound esp. from the bridge pup. I found the answer with nickel plated steel wound strings. God, I love these. Whats with the nickel wound??...thats all I can find lately. Second, I find it most comfortable to play on 11's but detuned to Eb. I play in a dixieland band on occasion and trust me when I tell ya horn players aren't gonna play anything in E or A. Eb and Ab thank ya very much.

But then...I have so much frustration when I just wanna jam with a bass player or play along with a song..you can't play it! at least not with open strings...and the boogie woogie and the two step need the open strings...and the rock songs "The break-up song, Tom Petty stuff... etc"

I guess I could capo the 1st fret....but thats just stupid.

I love the way may axe sounds plays set up this way, but what a frustration these guitars are.

It took me 2 years to find this sound....gaaaaaah.

Robert
January 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Maybe use 2 guitars? One with normal tuning and one tuned down to Eb?

Spudman
January 13th, 2008, 01:17 AM
That's what I do.
If you need help picking out a new guitar just be patient. You'll get plenty of suggestions around here.:D

markb
January 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Or get a Steinberger with a transtrem (TM).

http://www.gibson.com/products/steinberger/features.html

Most strings are nickel plated steel even if they say "nickel wound". Pure nickel wraps come at a premium. I use D'addario strings for everything, XL 9-46 on my telecaster and phosphor bronze 12-53 on my acoustics.

The secret to a twangier tele is to back off the pickups a little especially on the bass side.

LagrangeCalvert
January 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
That's what I do.
If you need help picking out a new guitar just be patient. You'll get plenty of suggestions around here.:D

The band I play in uses two tunings as well, so I know what your going through.

I would suggest what spud said and get a second axe for the job. You might find a couple new tones you didn't know you liked.