PDA

View Full Version : Going crazy with an octave pedal

Robert
January 12th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Don't you just love crazy sounds? I do.

DVM or anyone with electronics skills may be able to explain what this guy is doing. Regardless, it's crazy and I love it! :bravo: :bravo:

I have on of those Arion octave pedals by the way.

iZkq5HLIqKY

markb
January 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I had one of those Arions too, Robert. A good pedal but I stopped using it when I got an original MXR Blue Box, octaves with the knob all the way left and octave fuzz all the way right.
I have no idea what the guy in the vid is up to.

SuperSwede
January 13th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Hmmm... I think we must consult our own Dr. Voodoo, perhaps he could explain this.

Interesting sounds!

Spudman
January 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I used to get something similar to this when I opened a small transistor radio and started touching solder joints with a knife blade. I'll bet the device in the video is doing something similar.

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM
This appears to be a manifestation of a radical electronics modding approach known as "circuit bending" (thanks, hubberjub, for correcting me). This can be done using various low-voltage electronics devices, not just effects pedals. See THIS LINK (http://www.intelligentmachinery.net/resources/index.php?title=Circuit_bending_guitar_pedals). Not sure what those various controls are on the outboard controls module that's been mated to this Arion pedal, but it looks like many of them are just pots. These have apparently been wired in to various point in the pedal's circuitry to generate these odds tones when manipulated. Seems pretty random to me, but to each his own....

hubberjub
January 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I think the term you're looking for is circuit bending. Google it. There is a company that makes circuit bent Furbies. They're pretty scary.

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think the term you're looking for is circuit bending. Google it. There is a company that makes circuit bent Furbies. They're pretty scarry.
Oops! Yes, that's what I meant! I had just been reading about it. Gotta go back & change that. Thanks, hubberjub!

Adrian30
January 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I’m actually finding circuit bending quite fascinating. Here’s another link containing simple explanations on the process.

http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/circuitbend/