PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reading the Eric Clapton Bio ?

ted s
January 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I got it for Christmas from my in-laws.
I am enjoying it very much.
He talks from his childhood to present and has no problem identifying his
personal faults.
I new he was pretty messed up for a while, but was quite surprised to what extent.

You don't have to be a die-hard fan to enjoy it, it's just as much about his musical career as it is him as a person.

I give it 5:AOK: up !

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yep, I'm reading it right now, about 80% done. He's certainly not sugar-coating his problems! Very interesting read. But he spends much more time on his substance abuse problems and inability (until his mid-50's) to establish a functional relationship with a woman than he does about music. So don't expect a musical memoir, because that's not the main focus here.

mrmudcat
January 14th, 2008, 02:13 AM
After Skydog this one is next but noway could it be better!!!:beer:

hagarfreak33
October 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I just finished it tonight-It was a good Book.I am going back to the library tomorrow to find a good Beatles book anyone have suggestions?

hagarfreak33
October 5th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Yep, I'm reading it right now, about 80% done. He's certainly not sugar-coating his problems! Very interesting read. But he spends much more time on his substance abuse problems and inability (until his mid-50's) to establish a functional relationship with a woman than he does about music. So don't expect a musical memoir, because that's not the main focus here.
Yes it was very much a book about addiction.

Andy
October 6th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I'll have to check this Clapton book out.
thanks for bringing it up
I reciently read "Three Dog Nightmare" by Chuck Negron.
talk about addiction ruining someones career!

warren0728
October 6th, 2008, 08:01 AM
i'm reading it now....i'm at the "conor" chapter....that will probably be an emotional chapter....definitely an interesting read....

ww

birv2
October 6th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Pretty interesting reading. I also was surprised how bad his problem was -- some phenomenal amount of alcohol per day, can't remember the exact stat, but I remember being surprised that any one individual could drink that much!

Yes, the Conor chapter is heart-breaking.

I'm happy for him in his personal life, though I wish there had been more on the music.

Bob

wingsdad
October 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I just finished it tonight-It was a good Book.I am going back to the library tomorrow to find a good Beatles book anyone have suggestions?

Beatles Gear by Andy Babiuk- both biographical from each of their childhoods and how they got going and all about how and why they got what they used when and for what.

All You Need Is Ears by George Martin - if he hadn't had the ears and an open mind in '62, the rest would NOT have been history.

Here, There and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick - pretty much a bio of Emerick, but he takes you inside the sessions he first assisted on then engineered for Martin, and later, as his own boss. Insight without rah-rah about the behavior and relationships of the Fab 4 from his perspective (a McCartney admirer ... goes beyond the Beatles into Mac's Wings years, like recording Band On the Run.)

Andy
October 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM
not a book ofcourse, but it's hard to compete with the beatles anthology video set. if your a beatles fan and have not seen it ...life is not complete

hagarfreak33
October 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions:D

R_of_G
October 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I would also recommend The Act You've Known For All These Years: A Year in the Life of Sgt. Pepper and Friends by Clinton Heylin. Heylin provides much-needed context in telling the story of the much-heralded album.

From amazon.com:

It was forty years ago that Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles was released, an LP that changed the face of popular culture and continues to top public and critical polls of the greatest albums ever made. The Act You’ve Known for All These Years reconstructs the life and times of Sgt. Pepper, the cultural backstory of the band, and rock’s turbulent early adulthood. Weaving the activities of the Beatles in with those of their contemporaries and rivals; notably Bob Dylan, the Beach Boys, and Pink Floyd; heralded music critic Clinton Heylin reveals the inspirations and explodes the myths behind this talismanic, iconic album and the summer of love itself. In addition, the book surveys what happened next, telling the history of the LP’s “afterlife” from 1967 to the present day. Featuring interviews with those who were there at the time and those who followed in the Beatles’ wake, The Act You’ve Known for All These Years is the definitive book on the defining LP of the pop era.

http://www.amazon.com/Act-Youve-Known-These-Years/dp/1847671772/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223336474&sr=1-2

ShortBuSX
October 7th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The Clapton biography was awesome...I finished that in record time, very enjoyable. I also liked how he talks about his influences and the songs that he was listening to in that era.

warren0728
October 7th, 2008, 08:06 AM
stayed up late last night to finish it....very good read....definitely recommend it....they say you have to live the blues to play the blues....then clapton certainly has the right to play the blues....

ww

hagarfreak33
October 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I went to the Library today and grabbed 2 books-Can't buy me love-about the Beatles and the Fender Stratocaster guide
:)

Iago
October 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I bought it right after it came out in the stores here and read in 2 days. Great book. It`s funny how some people were feeling so let down `cos he did not write so much about his guitars and his recording sessions a lot in the book. I definitely reccomend it for those who want to know the man behind the guitar. Takes guts to write about addiction and relationships in general (family, women, friends) like he did.

hagarfreak33
October 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
So i finished the Strat book-It is a great owners manual-The Beatles book was lacking what i wanted so i returned it.Today i started Don Felders -Heaven and Hell my life in the Eagles and i Took another Beatle biography book out.

warren0728
October 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM
since i finished the clapton bio i think i'm going to read skydog next....i love me some duane (and all things allman brothers)....and he lived close by (daytona) for many years!

ww

Iago
October 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Warren I remember reading some parts of Skydog in the backseat of a taxi cab (the guy had a great cd collection in there heheh) in Clearwater when I was in the US. Seemed like a great book.

hagarfreak33
November 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
So i just finished Don Felders -Heaven and Hell my life as an Eagle and Also Slash-Both were good books-many of these books tell the same story with different players