PDA

View Full Version : Cortez the Killer... best tribute?

oldguy
January 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Who do you think does it best? I would've said Satriani, if I hadn't seen it.
First, the original...Neil Young 30 yrs. ago.

5x5nICIG-iM

Then Grace Potter and Joe Satriani.

paeNnR33i5Q

Then These Guys. Neiyoun&Sleazy Horse
japan, from what I gather.

LpgOt-Lf8U4

Big K
January 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
1 - Neil Young

2 - Warren Haynes

oldguy
January 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Agreed. We could throw Dave Matthews band in here, too.
But of the two covers in the videos, which is better?

sunvalleylaw
January 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Man, this will be interesting. It brings up an ongoing conversation I have with Spudmaster, relating to NY as a genius as a musical artist, but where does he stand as a guitarist. I won't say more about that discussion, but will be interested in Spud's answer here.

My answer, I vote with the garageband from Japan. Theirs is really just a cover, (albeit seemingly a decent one) though when their vocalist stretches a little they almost lost my vote. The cymbals are a little too hot in this handheld vid recording too. Clearly Satch's clip has better musicians in it, and I don't dislike what Satch does with it. But the trumpet is distracting (this is not a Chicago piece, and Doc Severinsen doesn't do NY, for Heaven's sake!), and that many qualified solo musicians simply don't add up to a better tribute in my mind. What I am saying is that the vocalist, the trumpet player and Satch are all taking turns being magnificent, and yet it doesn't add up to a better performance of the song to me. (Satch's performance is the best of the three BTW.) It gets away from what I think Neil's music is about. So the garage band cover gets my vote (Oh, and I like the Old Blackie copy and the Goldtop too :D ) . . . . Ok, I am ducking flames from across the nuclear reservation between Spud's house and mine right now. ;) :rotflmao:

warren0728
January 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM
i think the best version by far is by Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes

more emotion in their version than any other i've heard....neil's would be second for me...

ww

R_of_G
January 14th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Built to Spill does a great version on their Live album.

warren0728
January 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Built to Spill does a great version on their Live album.
haven't heard of them....will check it out

ww

R_of_G
January 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
haven't heard of them....will check it out

ww

somewhere buried in the "Have You Heard" threads is one I started about them at one point. there live version of Cortez clocks in at about 20 minutes. good stuff. i also enjoy warren haynes take on it with the Mule.

Steve206
January 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I am probably out there a little too far,,,

But, I like The Gourd's, version.

Steve