PDA

View Full Version : Learnin' Tunes

marnold
January 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Since I got my stuff from TrueFire, I've been learning "Living after Midnight" by Judas Priest. Not the most difficult 80s metal song by any means, but certainly one of the most fun. I've got the whole thing pretty much down, including the solo. Even though the solo is quite easy, one thing I've discovered is that playing with a backing track really makes your not-quite-full-bends stand out like a sore thumb. Another problem with that is that since I hadn't played for a while, going back to bending 10s was a little hard on the fingers. The BT is also forcing me to get my timing down better.

There's a high lick on the 20th-22nd frets at the end of the solo that I find harder to play on my 22 fret Floyd as opposed to my 24 fret Fender. The body of the guitar is just enough in my way. Anyway, I hope to have a recording soonish. After that, I hope to go back to tackle the solo to Paranoid.

oldguy
January 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
We'll be waiting for that recording, Matt!!!:D "You can do eet, ....".:AOK:
I understand your comment on the backing tracks. I record, listen, and notice my own clams, I think everyone does. :pancake:
I always see BT's as a way to improve, have fun, and jam when there's no band around....but they also show me where I need to improve, which is, I think, a good thing.;)

Robert
January 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
We want to hear that, indeed! :)

I used to play that 80s metal stuff way back in the day... maybe I should revive some old memories and learn some of that stuff again.

Plank_Spanker
January 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I like playing to BT's. Sometimes I'll load a bunch up on shuffle (from country to jazz to punk) and play to whatever comes up. It's a lot of fun and sometimes I'm laughing too hard to play. :D

I spend lots of time playing to new tunes the band is working out. Right now, I have ten new tunes I'm working through to get ready.

Childbride
January 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
i had to get Shiner to translate BT for me...

[shy shuffle of feet]

i'm saving up for my next git, which will be an electric, so i can play some of the metal i loved growing up. i'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Lp Ultra...

where does one get BT's? please excuse my newbie lack of knowledge...

marnold
January 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
where does one get BT's? please excuse my newbie lack of knowledge...
Well, you see, when a man loves a woman they will . . .

Oh wait, you asked about Backing Tracks. Sorry.

Do a search here, you'll find links to lots of them. The one I referred to in the first post is from the Hal Leonard "Guitar Play-Along" series: Vol. 3--Hard Rock. I also got a CD from TrueFire with my order for free that has 99 BTs on it. I don't think I'll be lacking for them any time soon.

Childbride
January 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
:) thank you.

i love JP, by the way.. they rock. :dude:

marnold
January 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM
:) thank you.

i love JP, by the way.. they rock. :dude:
Ya know, I've gotten to the point in my life where I'm almost ashamed of my heavy metal background. But the more I think about it, the old axiom, "To thine own self be true" keeps coming up.

The really cool thing about JP is that a number of their songs sound awesome but are very easy to play. The problem with the metal genre in general is that it takes a serious amount of chops to play decently.

I also found this BT link in my bookmarks. I'm pretty sure I got it from this here place. Lots of good stuff: http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

Robert
January 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I've always loved to play "You've Got Another Thing Coming".... heavy cool song. One of the first heavy metal songs I learned, I think.

Childbride
January 18th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I also found this BT link in my bookmarks. I'm pretty sure I got it from this here place. Lots of good stuff: http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

thanks! i will save that tonight when i get home from work... :)