PDA

View Full Version : When a germanium transistor leaks...what does that do exactly.

Tone2TheBone
January 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Anyone know? Everyone always says that "oh germanium transistors leak blah blah blah"....well what in the heck does that mean? I know someone here knows. :bravo:

Robert
January 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I have heard the temperature of germanium transistors make a big difference on how well they work. They are known for being unreliable. Hendrix sometimes had big problems live. It sounded pretty darn good when they worked though!

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Simplistically (which is how I understand pretty much everything), a transistor is supposed to be like an electron gate, allowing current to flow when it's "on" and preventing current flow when "off". Apparently, most transistors leak some amount of current, even when off--think of it like a leaky faucet. As long as the leakage is small relative to the current passed when on, its usually no big deal. But if the leakage gets large enough, it can screw things up in various ways, depending upon how the transistor is being used. Some types of transistors are intrinsically leakier than others, and I understand that germanium tends to leak substantially more than silicon. And even within the same type, some individual transistors are leakier than others. And I understand there are ways to measure this, if necessary.

mrmudcat
January 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1077/bronks032bv8.jpg

To add (not that im worthy after voodoos post:master: ) alot of the old germs had about 30% failure rate from the get go.Then the high temps caused alot of inconsistency even among the same type and or brand.The new old stock germs are much better and have a stricter tolerance rate. Some have mini heatsinks for cooling help:beer: These days most D.I.Y. use a socket so you can quick change from germs to silicon .(best way to go pic is of a monsterpiece fuzz I had built for my son notice the green and red stripe reference and quick change sockets) Although I think silicons are smoother I like fuzzes with germs and dying batteries!!!!:rotflmao:

I use bc 109(out right now in this fuzz) and 108's in right now!!:AOK:

Hope this doesn't sound redundant after Voodoo and Roberts post:thwap:

Tone2TheBone
January 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Very good answers guys thank you. Mud...you say you think Si's are more smooth? How so? I would think they'd be more fizzy? Maybe not? Esplan. :)

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Im not sure if they are fizzier but germs are fuzzier:D

Seriously though germs are definitely raspier /harsher more rude in your face.I tend to use fuzzes only with single coil strats.Trying to use germs with high gain buckers for me is just to much.I have 1 silicon based fuzz(pic above) and it is smoother/less harsh meaning I can actually clean the tone up moreso with the guitfiddles volume knob it seems.This is my opinion though.;)

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Tone you can also mix and match both Germanium NKT275 and Silicon BC108 /109 for a different sound!